Shaving scuttle

Well, ordered the medium from Steve Woodhead and am super excited! Similar to yours Nishey but in Autumn colour to blend in with my new brush when it comes!
Its a winning combination for sure, I hope you enjoy both. Used several lathering bowls now and I always go back to my Steve Woodhead scuttle. It is my favourite way to bowl lather.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, ordered the medium from Steve Woodhead and am super excited! Similar to yours Nishey but in Autumn colour to blend in with my new brush when it comes!

I use the same one and you won't be disappointed. Well made, nice depth for producing lots of lather, keeps it warm when filled with hot water and I love the Autumn colour scheme.

I'm a big fan of the Woodhead scuttles (and bowls). I have the large tall scuttle, which is excellent, but I do find it weighs rather a lot when filled, and I think the washbasin would come off second-best if I dropped it. The medium is really a more manageable size.
I really like the offerings from North America that show up on Etsy, but again, for me the shipping is too dear and risky. Also, the ones I fancy most always seem to be to order, with lead times in months in some cases.
I recently had a lustreware bowl made by Fiona Duckett in Scotland, and there was some talk that she might consider making a scuttle, but haven't heard any more for a while.

I got my scuttle off eBay and it came from Poland. I think it was £18 but I might be wrong. Nice scuttle. There were a few of them, most of them advertised in GBP that were more expensive.

I use mine nearly everyday BUT the issue I have is that the heat interfares with the quality of the lather. The hot water out of my tap is not hot enough to keep the lather warm beyond the first pass. Boiling water in the scuttle keeps the lather nice and warm for 3 passes which is what I'm looking to achieve but I'm not happy with how the lather consistency is affected.
I have experimented a little bit with mixing boiling water and cold water, trying to find the right proportions at the moment.

Anybody can suggest a better solution?

I got my scuttle off eBay and it came from Poland. I think it was £18 but I might be wrong. Nice scuttle. There were a few of them, most of them advertised in GBP that were more expensive.

I use mine nearly everyday BUT the issue I have is that the heat interfares with the quality of the lather. The hot water out of my tap is not hot enough to keep the lather warm beyond the first pass. Boiling water in the scuttle keeps the lather nice and warm for 3 passes which is what I'm looking to achieve but I'm not happy with how the lather consistency is affected.
I have experimented a little bit with mixing boiling water and cold water, trying to find the right proportions at the moment.

I suppose the only other way to regulate the temperature is from the outside, by putting the scuttle in water in the basin.

I've never found a way of achieving anything approaching precise temperature control, even from day to day. My hot water varies according to the weather, if the heating is on or off and several other factors.

Ferrum

I suppose the only other way to regulate the temperature is from the outside, by putting the scuttle in water in the basin.

I've never found a way of achieving anything approaching precise temperature control, even from day to day. My hot water varies according to the weather, if the heating is on or off and several other factors.

Ferrum

Exactly, it seems to be a moving target.
I have a bowl that I can fit on top of the scuttle and I have experimented with it too. I can build a gorgeous lather and then place the bowl on the scuttle with hot water in it. By the time I put a blade in the razor I have a lovely and warm lather for the first pass. By the second pass the brush still feels lovely but the lather quality is not the same anymore.

Yep pour the water (boiling) out, after soaking your brush. Obviously the brush isn't soaking in the boiling water, but you understand what I mean.

Build your lather without any water being held in the scuttle. If it is a decent scuttle it should retain the heat throughout your 3 passes.

My method with my Steve Woodhead scuttle is exactly this. Luke warm water in the top. Very hot water into the spout. Leave for 15/20 mins. Pour out the water in spout and top. Build lather. Obviously easier to build lather in an empty scuttle due to the weight reduction. You can put in luke warm water back into the spout between passes if you really want.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is a Steve Woodhead mega scuttle.
3f608fd0a6251a6423c1477f160ced4a.jpg

Latherlicious!

Back
Top Bottom