Shaving in limited space - mirror solution needed

Just throwing this out there. . . In my last house I was blessed with a wide & deep tiled area in the bathroom for putting my mirror and shaving gear on. Now I am in a bigger house yet with a stupidly small bathroom. Whilst I can handle less space for gear whilst shaving, the mirror thing really bugs me. I’m curious if anyone else has limited space for their shaving mirror and if so, what mirror do you use?

To the right of the picture is one of my pet hates and something I’ve always found amusing when in other peoples’ bathrooms: a mirror fronted cabinet directly above the toilet! It has a decent mirror on, but I don’t want to stand astride the toilet whilst shaving, no do I want to open the mirror door and have to move my head sideways constantly whilst shaving to look into it. So forget that mirror, it’s functional for storage only. The cabinet can’t really go anywhere else, as if it went on the side wall you’d bang your head on it getting up off the toilet, and obviously wouldn’t be over the sink to shave anyway!

Herein lies the problem: the small mirror in the photo has been knocked over a few times when someone has pulled down the blind (not pictured) when it gets dark. The plastic lug which holds it into the bracket has snapped off on one side, so it’s forever dropping out of the bracket and into the sink. So I need something more rugged / heavy that won’t get knocked off its bracket so easily. Doesn’t sound too difficult does it? Just buy a good quality mirror and put it on the shelf, right?

Now the problem comes that most mirrors have a base that is too deep for the space it has to fit on, and if looking online, sellers don’t state the dimensions of the base itself, just the size of the actual mirror. The main flat part of the UPVC windowsill the mirror has to stand on is little over 7cm deep. I’d like more of a pedestal type to give more height, but as I said, they all seem to have a square or round base that’s too wide for where it has to sit.

I’m struggling to find any double sided (with magnifying side) mirror that will fit in that space, is held in its frame/bracket by something better and more durable than cheap plastic lugs, other than just buying another of the same mirror and seeing how long it lasts next time. Any help appreciated.

13EBEBBF-D95A-40AC-BDB5-9F6CD3F54BC2.jpeg

Last edited:
IKEA FRÄCK

fraeck-mirror-stainless-steel__0864335_pe555219_s5.jpg

Can you not fit a wall mounted mirror with an adjustable arm?

Could be tricky. To the left is a shower screen, if it went on the tiled wall on the right, the cabinet itself would be in the way. Not sure about drilling into the tile anyway, think I’d prefer something freestanding if possible in that limited space

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. . . pedestal mirror with a rectangular base (not square or round) with a bit more heft to it, which may stay put if it gets knocked by the blind, rather than be knocked into the sink.

I think the first and last may still be a little too deep, the Miller one looks like it might be less deep, but no base dimensions stated and it's the most expensive. . .

Thanks. Maybe one of those coming out of the side of the cabinet would work, just not sure if the cabinet walls are thick enough to take the screws needed
I've had these for years. Excellent inexpensive solution. Use rawl plugs if in doubt over fixing.
You can also mail order them from Ikea.
£6 + P&P

That don't bother me as I sometimes walk to large mirror in hall.

As for your problem.
You can get hanging mirrors that you attach to the window top reveal. Some hang while other are on a top to bottom pole.
You can also put a bar across and hang a mirror in front of window and a few other options for window mirrors

Last edited:
I’m slowly putting together a shaving ‘station’ utilising an old Victorian-style washstand, ewer and bowl. I’ll be adding a brass pedestal mirror to this set-up which will all be located in front of my bedroom window. I’ve seen a lovely mirror in John Lewis but it ain’t cheap at £50. Still, I think it will be worth it to capture the look and be effective.

JL Antique Bronze Mirror

CA515559-31B9-4B33-906E-F77F1E55AF09.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m slowly putting together a shaving ‘station’ utilising an old Victorian-style washstand, ewer and bowl. I’ll be adding a brass pedestal mirror to this set-up which will all be located in front of my bedroom window. I’ve seen a lovely mirror in John Lewis but it ain’t cheap at £50. Still, I think it will be worth it to capture the look and be effective.

JL Antique Bronze Mirror

View attachment 96901
These ones from Amazon are quite nice for £20.

61E+qAtDQjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom