Shaving against the grain

I've just shaved again with Merkur 33 HD and Astra HD blade, 1xWTG 1xXTG and finally 1xATG (extremely light pressure)

I'm a glutten for punishment i know but already i can feel my neck is beginning to rash, however my face feels fine, no adverse reaction at all.

I will update tomorrow on the rash and how bad it is

Quick question, what blade would you reccomend for a newbie with sensitive neck skin uses??

Update one side of my neck is badly rashed and lots of tiny yellow spots....the other side isnt too bad which leads me to believe it could be my technique!

My old man told me i need to keep doing it and my neck will toughen up to it !!!!!!!

Nishy said:
Leslie145 said:
Nishy said:
I couldn't go atg at all face and neck with my DE, even tried razor/blade combo but made no difference. Funnily enough I can do my whole face atg with a straight razor, strange.

Maybe because (no disrespect) you (like me) are relatively new to straight shaving so that much more careful about pressure.

Personally, I always re-lather before going ATG whichever style of razor I'm using...
Perhaps your right Leslie, I can't honestly say I'm using more or less pressure than with my DE, probably slightly more with the straight. I assumed it was down to the fact of not having a safety bar, perhaps allowing the blade to run flat atg on the skin. But I could be wrong how are you enjoying your straight shaves otherwise?

Was intending to straight shave yesterday to get rid of a 4 day music festival growth (was looking forward to it actually), but due to having to break camp yesterday in torrential rain, followed by a site cockup meaning it took us 3 hours just to get off the camping field, followed by a 2 hour drive in biblical rain/hail/thunder/lightning/frogs/dead first-born, I was knackered when we got home & just wanted a shower & shave followed by a pint... DE89 to the rescue - guaranteed BBS (WTG & ATG) even when half asleep

Man just stop trying, perfect an irritation free shave and enjoy it.
I look for products that let me get a BGS (Bally Good Shave) with the fewest passes and least pain, that's why I love DE shaving it's the only way I can do it.
At the Mo it's two passes WTG with a 37C and slather on the moisturiser - smooth enough for going to work and little to no irritation - WINNER!

Latherette said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Quick question for the members who don't use the ATG pass for whatever the reason.....doesn't matter.

When using a cartridge of any kind, were you able to shave in all directions?

Thanks for any response,

Martin

No. Similar results.

Same here red raw, with spots and ... wet - shudder. :icon_sad:

Designer stubble and a goatee for years. Until DE discovered.

Re: RE: Shaving against the grain

Count of Undolpho said:
Man just stop trying, perfect an irritation free shave and enjoy it.
I look for products that let me get a BGS (Bally Good Shave) with the fewest passes and least pain, that's why I love DE shaving it's the only way I can do it.
At the Mo it's two passes WTG with a 37C and slather on the moisturiser - smooth enough for going to work and little to no irritation - WINNER!

Never thought of doing 2 passes with the grain. Think I'll try that tonight just to see what happens.

Thanks Count!

I get exactly the same problem on my neck, which, incidentally, got me into DE shaving. I think the hairs on the throat in a lot of cases lie parallel to the skin. They are also thicker. When you shave ATG it causes the hair to become 'trapped'. The result being your immune system thinks a foreign body is within and starts sending white blood cells etc. the result is a nasty spot. When you free the hair the spot heals really quickly. It took me years to realise hat my neck could never be shaved really smooth. Just got to live with it.

MrK1 said:
Never thought of doing 2 passes with the grain. Think I'll try that tonight just to see what happens.

Thanks Count!

Fingers crossed for you! First time I had a shave and no pizza face at all I was 46.
A nice sharp but forgiving blade, a close shaving razor (but not a savage one - R41 I'm looking at you!) and be gentle with yourself.

Count of Undolpho said:
MrK1 said:

Thanks Count!

Fingers crossed for you! First time I had a shave and no pizza face at all I was 46.
A nice sharp but forgiving blade, a close shaving razor (but not a savage one - R41 I'm looking at you!) and be gentle with yourself.

Can you reccomend a nice sharp but forgiving blade Count?

Silly question Fraz but has anyone mentioned mapping the way your beard grows? Looking at your pic you can see at least two ways your beard is growing on your neck. Also when your neck calms down and if you really want to go for it, +1 what UKRob said, or like me try 4 passes WTG, XTG twice, on the second XTG pass just alter the angle so its half XTG, half ATG if you get what I mean. Anyway it works for me due to the way my beard grows on my neck. :)

It also depends what razor I'm using, if its at the aggressive end H-2 or #15 that's how I do it, if I'm using a Tech or R89 I can go ATG in three passes.

fraz101 said:
Can you reccomend a nice sharp but forgiving blade Count?

I use Rapira Super Stainless at the moment PM me and I'll send you a pack. It's an each to their own sort of thing though with blades. Others to try are Astra Green, Sputniks (more sharp than forgiving) and Supermax Blue Diamond (more forgiving than sharp).

Stand by for a deluge of counter recommendations and disagreement.

If I may give some more advice, whatever you try, stick to it for a couple weeks/at least 10 blades depending. Letting everything settle is quite important when trying to avoid discomfort on a sensitive skin.

Tried the two WTG shave with the King Cobra and a Feather Proguard.

Unfortunately it wasn't close enough. It left me with patches all over my face.

I had to do a XTG to finish it off.

Oh well.

Will try it with a Kai Mild blade and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom