Shaving acquisitions May 2023

Thanks to an acquaintance of the Wetshavers_India group on Reddit, I had these products:
nl4NBWW.jpg

I’ve never tried three, the two soaps and the Diamond Edge.
I read it quite well. I’m glad.
And Jaipur Oud is great.
Just opening the jar.
A wonderful fragrance.

After breaking my spending sabbatical, I ordered two sets from PAA (Miami Libre and Doppelganger green). Noticed a heavy smell coming from the box and upon opening it, found the aftershave bottle has smashed and all the aftershave leaked out. Little pissed as buying from them isnt cheap. I now have to deal with their notoriously poor customer service skills (they dont seem like nice people to deal with) to see if I can get a replacement...

IMG_20230518_104426.jpg

I received this Charcoal Goods DE razor today from AlanH81. It was packed extremely carefully and arrived looking absolutely gorgeous. The razor was sent to Switzerland for engraving and was hand-polished by Alan. It is one of only ten in Brian's first Gen-1 Lvl-1 stainless steel run in May 2017 and seems to be the only one ever mirror-polished. I can hardly wait to try it in my razor rotation.
GjnpcoL.jpg
2y6gjaV.jpg
FexZQNi.jpg
J4dl9EL.jpg

After hunting for a new badger brush (previously using an Edwin jagger best badger bought of Amazon exclusively for 3 months) I settled on ‘the best’ I could afford…my thought process was if I buy ‘the best’ then I wont fall into the trap of buying lots of brushes!….So I bought a Semogue finest badger/boar mix brush as a safety net haha

I have a propensity to collect stuff so hopefully this will prevent the need or at least suppress the itch for a while!

Got to say…the Chubby 2 best badger is such an incredible brush….face lathering wonder.

If you feel a sudden urge to recommend any other brushes or synthetic ‘wonder brushes’ please set an alarm for 13 days minimum….next pay day haha

Small confession….Bought a Simpsons Synthetic (Synthetic bristle) Chubby 2 of a member here to use while traveling and when on business but that doesn't count!….starting again from now!

33F64B83-C8AF-4BCE-B576-18D77C36244D.jpeg

After hunting for a new badger brush (previously using an Edwin jagger best badger bought of Amazon exclusively for 3 months) I settled on ‘the best’ I could afford…my thought process was if I buy ‘the best’ then I wont fall into the trap of buying lots of brushes!….So I bought a Semogue finest badger/boar mix brush as a safety net haha

I have a propensity to collect stuff so hopefully this will prevent the need or at least suppress the itch for a while!

Got to say…the Chubby 2 best badger is such an incredible brush….face lathering wonder.

If you feel a sudden urge to recommend any other brushes or synthetic ‘wonder brushes’ please set an alarm for 13 days minimum….next pay day haha

Small confession….Bought a Simpsons Synthetic (Synthetic bristle) Chubby 2 of a member here to use while traveling and when on business but that doesn't count!….starting again from now!

View attachment 105956
The Semogue brush you have brought is a fine brush indeed, it will give you many years of good service. :)

Paul.

I traded a best badger (by executive shaving) for a chubby 2 synth brush with @Blademonkey and use that most of the time now. My badgers have taken a back seat.
Interesting! I have only been at this for 3 months so very much an amateurs perspective below!

The first two brushes that I bought were the Omega Roma (Omegas answer to the Simpsons Trafalgar I believe) and the Edwin Jagger best badger. I almost always reached for the badger….something about the ritual of soaking prior to shaving, being able to scrub the face, the scritch….I always suffered from bad ingrown hairs prior to switching over to DE Razors so the slightly extra exfoliation properties of badger is what attracts me I think.

Before pulling the trigger on the Simpson Chubby 2 BB I read and researched a lot and it seems to fit exactly what I am looking for and my current ‘style’ of predominantly face lathering.

How do you find the Synthetic is with face lathering? I know Simpsons say to use painting stokes rather than splaying the brush….probably mistaken in assuming it would not fit the bill but that is what put me off initially. However thought I should at least try a high end synth before assuming anything or closing that door.

Stupid question alert: Can you scrub with the Simpsons Synthetic or will this damage the knot? Reduce its intended performance?

Sam

Some of my new arrivals. Technically got them last week but was breaking in the owners club brush which in a week is coming along nicely. Also got a lo storto but I’m not overly keen on that one and think it’s probably getting moved on. No more or the wife will divorce me. Loving the Gile brushes however. I’m sure I can afford another new brush and a solicitor too. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 15
Interesting! I have only been at this for 3 months so very much an amateurs perspective below!

The first two brushes that I bought were the Omega Roma (Omegas answer to the Simpsons Trafalgar I believe) and the Edwin Jagger best badger. I almost always reached for the badger….something about the ritual of soaking prior to shaving, being able to scrub the face, the scritch….I always suffered from bad ingrown hairs prior to switching over to DE Razors so the slightly extra exfoliation properties of badger is what attracts me I think.

Before pulling the trigger on the Simpson Chubby 2 BB I read and researched a lot and it seems to fit exactly what I am looking for and my current ‘style’ of predominantly face lathering.

How do you find the Synthetic is with face lathering? I know Simpsons say to use painting stokes rather than splaying the brush….probably mistaken in assuming it would not fit the bill but that is what put me off initially. However thought I should at least try a high end synth before assuming anything or closing that door.

Stupid question alert: Can you scrub with the Simpsons Synthetic or will this damage the knot? Reduce its intended performance?

Sam
I predominantly face lather. I don't swirl the brush on my fast, I do use fast painting strokes i guess with a little pressure. I did use only badgers for 15 years, mostly with creams. I had a difficult soap and someone on here suggested using a synth brush. A razorock, which needed a lot of pressure and splay. That was just OK until I recently got the chubby 2 synth. But, everyone is different. Do what feels right for you.

Back
Top Bottom