Shaving acquisitions May 2023

I'll use the seller's pictures:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Absolutely NOS ... I can feel the freshness of the thread when unscrewing the handle. Shame the handle is still the common lightweight. I'm a bit spoiled once I found that a heavy metal handle exists and was used for the classy Star Ambassador set, which is ostensibly the same thing as here ... just thicker plastic (and heavy handle).

Still, nice catch. I have an etched PAL in a red case. Same design.

I'll use the seller's pictures:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Absolutely NOS ... I can feel the freshness of the thread when unscrewing the handle. Shame the handle is still the common lightweight. I'm a bit spoiled once I found that a heavy metal handle exists and was used for the classy Star Ambassador set, which is ostensibly the same thing as here ... just thicker plastic (and heavy handle).

Still, nice catch. I have an etched PAL in a red case. Same design.
Would you use this razor seeing as it is NOS and therefore would command a better price than one that been used.
I ask because I have a NOS Ever-Ready Snap Action razor (1912) in absolutely unused condition and I've thought about it and once I use it it is no longer a NOS razor in mint condition with case and instructions paper.

Paul.

I'm going to leave it as-is @Blademonkey because I already have this razor in all manner of other formats. I did use my NOS Star Ambassador (same razor but with a heavier handel), which was a lovely experience.

See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/asr-double-edge-razor-weights.57595/

I think it's down to (a) the availability of other examples; (b) your status as a collector of said razor. In the case of the 1912, there is an abundance of already used models available for literally nowt. If you'd bought this one as your only 1912 with the intention of using it ... use it. I don't think resale is of consequence here. A genuine NOS Darwin still sealed up would be a different matter.

I'm going to leave it as-is @Blademonkey because I already have this razor in all manner of other formats. I did use my NOS Star Ambassador (same razor but with a heavier handel), which was a lovely experience.

See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/asr-double-edge-razor-weights.57595/

I think it's down to (a) the availability of other examples; (b) your status as a collector of said razor. In the case of the 1912, there is an abundance of already used models available for literally nowt. If you'd bought this one as your only 1912 with the intention of using it ... use it. I don't think resale is of consequence here. A genuine NOS Darwin still sealed up would be a different matter.
Thank you, I've got another 1912 so I don't plan to use this mint example, I will just put it away for the time being, it's not often that a genuine NOS 1912 razor turns up, it's no Darwin I know but I still feel it's worth keeping in its unused condition.
Thank you for your thoughts on the subject all the same .

Paul.

Some acquisitions this month, even though I came off the forum to prevent me buying anything.

I bought a few bits last month too but haven't posted them on here.

This 1918 dated set (assuming all parts are original) is in excellent condition. It appears near mint in terms of wear and tear. I gave the brush a go but it she'd about a dozen hairs in one pass so I won't be spoiling it again.
The razor was cleaned up using the foil, baking soda and boiling water method with a polish of Maas.

The Super Chromes were a bargain (£2 for 100 excluding postage) and I'd long used up my only Derby stick so stuck that on the order, too.

I really like the Kleen Shave blades and was able to get some from India via ebay.

Attachments

• PXL_20230427_111931559.jpg
    PXL_20230427_111931559.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230427_110817746.jpg
    PXL_20230427_110817746.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20230428_082721872~2.jpg
    PXL_20230428_082721872~2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20230428_082531151.jpg
    PXL_20230428_082531151.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 16
There we go, I'm done with the old spice acquisitions for now. With my rotation the two soaps I have, one on the go and now one in the wings, will last a while
View attachment 105463

I've had mine for nigh on ten years and barely scratched the surface. I think that one will probably do for the remainder of my life. Fun cracking open a genuine unused vintage soap, though. Enjoy that experience again with this one when the time comes ...

I've had mine for nigh on ten years and barely scratched the surface. I think that one will probably do for the remainder of my life. Fun cracking open a genuine unused vintage soap, though. Enjoy that experience again with this one when the time comes ...
Aye the original one hardly had a dent in it but I couldn't resist, it'll get used eventually. Alternatively I'll stick it in the will!

Back
Top Bottom