Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday

Proraso Pre
Merkud 34C w/ Persona
TGS Super
Trumpers Rose
Real Shave Co. Moisturiser w/ Armani As

3-passes, not bad, still not sure if adding the extra pass gives me any better a shave tbh.

Sunday

Nanny's Lavender soap has been relocated to a large container - a recycled pot from my 99p store. My New Forest 2 band fan shape prototype with very little water shaken out was swirled over the soap then taken to the bowl for lathering. It really does generate a superb lather this way. The more I use this soap the more I appreciate how good it is. Right now my skin feels as smooth and comfortable as I have achieved with any other soap.
I'm at last close to finishing up my DR Harris aftershave milk which I bought about 8 months ago and used often. A new Gillette Super Thin in the Merkur 38C did its job too.

5.jpg

Sunday

I hadn't originally planned on using the C&S 88 today but it intrigued me after yesterdays shave, so I used it today again to see if the scent issue I have with this soap benefits from extra hydration. Today I dipped the whole bowl into some water so the cake was completely immersed while I showered, I then dumped the water out after the shower and continued with the following kit,

Same EJ DE89 with Personna blade as yesterday
Warmed brush scuttle
Czech & Speake 88 shaving soap
Custom Simpsons Duke 3 in 2 band - still not broken fully yet, this brush is somewhere between the CH2 and Astor, perhaps CH1.5?
3 pass shave with touch up
Thayers witch hazel
Nivea Sensitive balm
Acca Kappa 1869 Cologne

Todays new product was some Pinaud Clubman Shave Talc, lightly applied with an old silvertip shaving brush after all the toners and blams have been absorbed this give my face a lovely velvety feel, I like this a lot and thankfully have no issue with the smell, have been faceturbating a lot sine I used this this morning.

Performance results of the C&S 88 are still very impressive, even with the not fully broken D3 this soap lathers on command, albeit I do have very soft tap water, but this lathered just as good if not slightly bettter then Tabac if that is a relevant measure for anyone reading this. I had a reasonably aggressive shave again today and doing this two days in a row my face should have been skelping off me (Scottish vernacular meaning very red like the face of a British holidaymaker on the second day of their summer holiday Spain - lobster red), all I had was just a small rash where I was too lazy to re-lather a bit of my neck at my Adams apple on the touch up phase of the shave.

I asked Mrs Audiolab to adjudicate on the scent, I have inflicted many scents on her over the years and it was she who opened the oversized box this soap came in at the time she thought it was OK, she didn't love it but then again she didn't love the 88 cologne either, "it's OK" she said. Her favourites are Tabac, Acca Kappa 1869 and T&H 1805, out of the box the 88 smelled better, more like the 88 cologne but in use all I get is a something like what you end up with if you took all the sweetness and niceness out of Tabac. Mr's Audiolab says it smells "old" and if she had not seen it come out of the box which was direct from the manufacturer she would say this was not the same soap. Her final words on it was "I don't like it, it smells musty and old".

Perhaps this is due to the quantity of Tallow they are using (am sure Hank can corroborate or tell me I am talking shite) but I do not understand how the scent can change so radically. Will give it a few days then perhaps consider milling half of it and sending the other half to someone else to see if this is just my nose that doesn't like this scent. But again I cannot take anything away from the performance of this soap, it is really good and the lather is easy to get right.

Sunday

Fatboy
Super Iridium(2)
404 bodger
nannys yushu
alum
nivea sensitive asb/Old spice Fresh Lime

Another good one today. Nanny's yushu soap performing very well plenty of lather for 3 passes and I really like the smell.
Still loving the old spice .

Damian

Sunday

Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Super Iridium blade (2)
Mr Taylor's Shaving Cream on a Vulfix 2235 super badger brush
Alum
Boots Freshwood ASB
Versace EDT

Got a whole bunch of little EDT bottles given to me over the years by aunts etc working my way through them. Still not a fan of Super Iridiums but this blade has proved more successful than the last.

Sunday

Mekur 39C Sledgehammer
Feather (1)
Kent VS30
Palmolive Soap (milled into a bowl)
Alum
Nivea Sentive AB
Polo Sport AS

The Feather and the Slant are made for each other, fantastic shave, BBS nothing more to say :D .

Have a jolly spiffing day Gents.

TTFN

Tony

SUNDAY

MWF wash soap
HD Rocket & Astra SP (4)
Speick Cream & 404 Mix
Alum
Speick ASL

Well, got me 2 days growth for a bit of serious action today. Pity the wife doesn't like the smell of Speick, because i am starting to like the scent and i can't fault the performance. think this will be used mon-fri, as i leave after her - so she'll never know! ;)

Men-U face wash
Kent BK2 shaving brush
MWF shaving soap
Merkur 38c razor with Personna red (#1)
Alum
Proraso ASB
TOBS 74 original cologne

Great shave today :D

'All Agrog' Bay Rum, shaving & pre-shave oil, by Urban Hermit
The Knack (1971) razor with Super Silver blade, both by Gillette
Bay Rum glycerin shave soap, by Colonel Conk (from a Wallace and Grommit soap dish - nerd chique or what?)
'Syntetico' brush, by men-u
'All Agrog' Bay Rum, shaving & pre-shave oil, by Urban Hermit
alum block
'Bay Rum Baba Balm' aftershave lotion, by Urban Hermit
& plenty of cold, clear water (*echo* ...wa-ter)

A series 3 passes, & 3 thorough cold water rinses, then an oil pass/polishing pass, another thorough, thoroughly-cold, cold water rinse, an abundantly ample application of alum (& alliteration) - let face dry while starting clean up, then yet another cold water rinse and cap it all off with my balm/lotion.

Excellent results: very smooth, very fresh, very nice ... a very DFS, sans any DBaby's Bum!

Note: A very brief bit of non-arrogant smugness follows; directly after which, a short anecdote from the Urban Hermitage featuring SWMBA, shall be presented. Thank you, carry on.

Non-arrogant smugness commences:

Believe me when I write that I'm not normally my own horn-tooter, but, I made the oil & balm last night, (mostly) with assorted base/carrier oils, essential oils, witch hazel, aloe vera & darkrum, and so on. I really wish I had been able to channel my OCD into recording the recipes, because I thought they did great - especially as I've only made a one other of similar things. The oil could probably be used without any soap/cream for a full 4+ pass shave without allowing a burn or major nick, and the balm has enough alcohol that those who don't use alum, would get their sting in, followed immediately by the soothing of the sting and the entire shave-area too. I made a 60ml bottle of the oil & 300ml of the balm, so at least I have a fair supply of it before I have to try and improvise the recipe again - at least I made a list of all that went into it, if not how much of everything that went into them.

Sadly, the oil bottle is not the best seal, though the pump is fastened tight. A bit of the oil (not much just a drop or two) will end up on the outer surface of the bottle after each session of shaking it - and it needs shaking as I'm not 100% sure what I could have added to stop the various oils from separarting ... some kind of emulsifier I suppose?

Anecdote commences:

This morning, SWMBA had a sniff of them when she went to move the bottles out of the way, as I seem to have left them not far enough off to one side of things ... so, I asked her what she thought of them.

She thought briefly about it before saying - with some actual enthusiam, that "they smell 'OK'."

"Just 'OK'?" I asked (because I wanted more feedback in case they could be tweaked to improvement).

She replied: "They're pretty nice, but kind of ... blokey. I wouldn't use them.".

I hope I didn't look at her like too much of an alien visitor to her planet, and followed up asking for yet more clairifcation: "But, are they any good for a male human to wear?"

"Oh, yeah. They'd be fine for that".

I decided that that was near enough to a compliment on the stuff, and that this experiment is near enough to be called something of a great success.

EDIT: Fumbly-finger induced spelling etc, corrected - I hope.

I'd be very interested in the balm. I don't use after shaves or splashes, but I'm partial to a balm so having an alcohol one could be the best of all worlds, especially with a run scent.

Sunday

Nivea intensive moisturiser as a pre
Gillette Tech
Wilkinsons
Boots soap
Commodore
RSC balm

Just a quick one today, two passes mostly with the grain plus a little touch up on my neck. I'm getting much better results when I pay attention to the preshave routine, and my new Simpsons brush seems better at lifting my hairs then my old brush as I'm getting darn near BBS on my cheeks without even trying. I need to work on my angles for my neck though, I thought I was taking it easy today but still have a little rawness on my left side.

spandexcodpiece said:
Urban, you are a complete and utter Looney! :lol: :lol:

spandex..

Wha'ppen?
:eek:
What did I do now?
:?: :?

• I can never remember if I'm half of the way to being a total wit,
    • ...or all of the way to being a halfwit.[/list:u][/list:u]
      :roll:

Urban Hermit said:
spandexcodpiece said:
Urban, you are a complete and utter Looney! :lol: :lol:

spandex..

Wha'ppen?
:eek:
What did I do now?
:?: :?

• I can never remember if I'm half of the way to being a total wit,
    • ...or all of the way to being a halfwit.[/list:u][/list:u]
      :roll:

• ..No malice intended my friend. You know what they say " It takes one to know one" I've been a bit of a looney all my life :D

spandex..

Gillette Slim Adjustable - No 3
New Feather
Body Shop Macca Root Cream
Custom hand-made 26mm Silvertip (hand-made by yours truly)

Bombay Sapphire and Slimline Schweppes Tonic

...watching the steam from the sink fog up the cut-crystal glass of G&T... :mrgreen:

Sunday

Two shaves today -

Shave (1) - staying over with my daughter at my folks' place so no time for a decent shave: a quick two-pass with the following:

Gillette Fatboy (5)
Feather (2)
Palmolive stick
Shaving Shack value bristle brush
Simple for Men AS Balm
Cella Classica cologne

Shave (2) was done tonight as I was already pretty stubbly again after this morning's half-hearted, get-out-the-bathroom-quick shave:

Gillette Fatboy (5)
Feather (3)
Body Shop Maca Root cream
Kent BK4
Alum Block
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Simple for Men AS Balm

Second shave was much better - more time, more passes and very smooth & burn-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom