Shave of the Day w/c Saturday 17th April 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

RSC Sensitive cream and my trusty Men-U brush.
Merkur HD and Feather blade.
Natural Grooming Co. Post shave balm and moisturiser.

Been experimenting this week with a daily shave, and my face feels a little raw. So no alcohol splash for the time being. Good chance to put the balms to the test.

IanM said:
spandexcodpiece said:
Hi Ian! Just out of curiosity, is there any alcohol in the aftershave you use? Also, don't you find there is a fragrance "clash" between your a/s and the Cologne? I would be interested in your reply because I think your combo is slightly unusual, but if it works for you of course, then what the heck!

Hello Mr. Codpiece,

The D.R. Harris Pink a/s has a very low alcohol content, if memory serves it's about 16%, and I find it very gentle and effective. The scent is a very light rose scent, but it's gone within 5-10 mins of application, so doesn't really cause any clashes.

Ian
Hi Ian!

Ah,yes! I see where you're coming from now. I might try the pink a/s. I note there are several other users on the forum also. Have a good day,
All the best,

spandex.. :)

Thursday

Flare tip Rocket
no name ebay badger brush
Gillette super thin (vietnamese )
Alum
Nivea sensitive asb /Aqua velva

been using the rocket now for a couple of weeks and it works really well.
The super thin from vietnam are just as good as the thai ones. Rocket + GST = win.
BBS .

Thursday

Gillette Super Thin Thai? Not sure. Brilliant with the Merkur 38C. The Kent BK4/TOBS cream painted on - simply luxurious. Just too floppy for much scrubbing, but who cares? Each brush is different and this works best with creams and painting style lathering for me.

4-5.jpg

Thursday

Gillette #58
Gillette Sharp Edge (3)
Vulfix #5
Tabac Soap
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive AB
Night Club AS

A change is good as a rest, so I got the #58 out today and it felt so tiny compared to the slant but still delivered the goods, a luvly shave.

Have a jolly spiffing day Gents.

TTFN

Tony

Thursday

Merkur 23c
Kai blade
TOBS Sandalwood cream
Kent BK4
Alum block
Boots Witch Hazel
L'Oreal Men Expert 24hr Hydrating AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Using the 23c again with one of my new Kais to test whether it was Kais in general or the ones Sonny had being a bad batch. The 23c is a much more aggressive razor than the HD I used last night. The blade creaks as it's being bent when you screw the head tight, just to remind you of the aggressive angle used. Whilst this was a closer shave & I did get two tiny nicks, it still didn't mangle my delicate chops like Sonny's gifted blade so I guess he had a bad batch (or could they have been counterfeit?)

Thursday

Kent BK4
Flare Tip Rocket
Swede (lost count of how many shaves, and still going strong)

(deep breath):
Nanny's Silly Soap Co limited edition "Yushu" Juniper Berry soft soap
Musgo Real No.3 edc

Haven't had a slippery session in the bathroom with a Swede for a while. A close, effortless and highly enjoyable shave with Sharon's excellent new gin flavoured soap, which is at least as good as the lavender version I reviewed with enthusiasm recently.

Merkur 34C
Astra
Vulfix 404
Palmolive cream
Alum
Nivea Revitalising Duble Balm
D R Harris Sandalwood

1st shave with the Astra blade, 2 passes and all done, i have to say the Pesona did not impress at all last night on its 3rd shave, i have found the derby good and the Astra tonight very good, i will give it a rest until Sat/Sun after my first 7 days of real shaving. Its been a real joy.

Friday

72 hours stubble

Futur / Gillette Plat (Rus)
Dovo Solingen pure badger
Eveline Aloe Vera shaving cream
Clinique tonic lotion
L'Erbolario Fern ASB

- begin to love these blades
- the Polish shaving cream is descent but nothing extraordinary (what did you expect from a product that sells for a quid in supermarket shelves?)
- the L'Erbolario ASB is very nice indeed, gentle, not too thick

Went out for a walk y'day evening and found a shop that sells few Italian and French brands - Acca Kappa, Hematite, Durance en Provence. Did not bite the bullet as I don't know these brands and cannot distinguish pros/cons from the ingredients list.

Have a lovely weekend, gents.

Shave_23Apr.jpg

Friday

EJ Chatsworth
Cerrus (2)
EJ Med Silvertip
SWK Scuttle
Nanny's Silly Warm Spice Cream
Alum
CHH Tobacco AS
Nivea ASB

I wanted to use my new Neo brush again, but also didn't want too many variables when trialling the new cream. I have mailed Sharon - this stuff is lovely! It lathers like an absolute dream - and it is quite thirsty.

Have a good day gents.

Friday

Merkur 39C Slanthammer
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge
EJ Best Badger
Cella
D.R. Harris Pink a/s
Trumper's Bay Rum Cologne

Same again!

Ian

St George's Day

Merkur 34c
Shark SS (3)
Vulfix 404 Bodger
Nanny's Juniper Soap

Forest Fresh AS & Nivea ASB Mix

A truly wonderful shave. :shave

The Juniper soap, from Aunt Nanny, is wonderful. Similar in performance (I find) to Proraso soap and it possesses a fresh early Summer morning in the heart of merry England scent. How appropriate.

Friday

Merkur Futur Razor set on 3
Wilkinson Sword Blade German (1)
Vulfix 2235 Super Badger brush
Real Shaving Co. Menthol Cream
Alum
Gillette Aftershave Balm
Envy Eau de Toilette

A DFS I used one of the German Wilkinson Sword blades in my Edwin Jagger while on holiday and liked it and am pleased to say the 2nd blade performed well for me in the Futur this morning. Just below Red Personnas in my personal list of likeability.

Friday - and my first DE shave.

Merkur 38C
Gillete 7 o clock (yellow)
Palmolive soap cream
Artamis bristle (?) brush
Styptic pencil
Some Lynx after shave balm I had for christmas from my nan about 2 years ago.

The Merkur arrived this morning. I popped in a blade from the selection that came with it (Gillette 7 o clocl yellow pack), and lathered up well.
Spent a good few minutes lathering.
Then, tentatively, maybe nervouosly too (I may have broken a little wind), took razor to face.

Wow. nice shave. Once with the grain, and started again with the lather and shaved across the grain (I even did a bit against the grain).

Lovely shave, a few little red spots, due to inexperience with a DE. But, a really close, smooth shave overall that will improve with my technique.

Looking forward to my next DE shave.

Friday

Merkur 1904 OC
Wilkinson Sword Low 5 (1)
Kent VS30
Wilkinson Sword Blue Bowl/RSC Cream (Uberlather :shave )
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Cool Kick AB
Polo Sport AS

Decided Friday was Open Comb day, loaded up the Wilk (haven't used one in years) and had a delightful shave (now I know why my dad likes them, thou I'm thinking he's always remembering the LB's).

Have a jolly spiffing day Gents.

TTFN

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom