Shave of the day, Saturday 8th- Friday 14th April 2017

Saturday's shave.

First outing for the Hone

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Coal Tar Soap and The Gentleman's Groom Room Shave Prep Plus.
Razor - Hone 15a.
Blade - Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (day 1).
Soap - Executive Shaving Bay Rum Shave Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Baxter of California Shave Tonic, followed by Geo F Trumper Extract of Limes Skin Food.

Beautiful 2 pass shave, with some little touch ups. No problems.

I really enjoyed shaving with the Hone 15. I heardly felt the blade on my skin. I felt that the 15 gave a slightly more efficient shave compared with the 15a (I appreciate that YMMV).

On reflection, quite a yellow theme to the shave, with the Hone, the Gillette Yellow's and the Trumper's Lime skin food :)

I am pleased that I have purchased the 15 and the 15a. Both great razors, yet different enough to mean that both for me will be keepers.

Have a good weekend all,

Chris

Last edited:
133415.jpg

Saturday 8th April
Joesph Fenton & Sons, Cutlers, Sheffield razor
Rubberset inspired Finest Badger brush made by myself
WSP Rustic Fougere Noir soap
Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave

Today was my first ever cold water shave...

Pre-shave - L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil & Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream (Green)
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Wilkinson Sword (shave 2)
Soap - Mentholated Wilkinson Sword (warmed in microwave and mixed with a teaspoon of menthol crystals pre-dissolved in in 5ml of glycerine)
Brush - Vintage Boots White handled Bristle Brush
Post shave - Alum Block followed by Witch Hazel and Égoïste ASL

different from the warm shower/shave routine but it's something I'd have no qualms doing again.

Last edited:
Today was my first ever cold water shave...

Pre-shave - L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil & Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream (Green)
Razor - Merkur 34c
Blade - Wilkinson Sword (shave 2)
Soap - Mentholated Wilkinson Sword (warmed in microwave and mixed with a teaspoon of menthol crystals pre-dissolved in in 5ml of glycerine)
Brush - Vintage Boots White handled Bristle Brush
Post shave - Alum Block followed by Witch Hazel and Égoïste ASL

different from the warm shower/shave routine but it's something I'd have no qualms doing again.
Wooky -You should try a cold water shave with either Meissner Tremmonia Mint Ice Menthol or P&B Denali - followed up with Alcolado Glacial a/s and finally Vifrex gel. My face, my face! I can't feel my face! I.

Saturday 8th April 2017
IMG_1295.jpeg
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Zirh Prepare oil
Razor: Schick Adjustable (7)
Blade: Personna (#3)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap: The Gentleman's Groom Room - Essence of Scotland Mountain Yew
AS: Dior Fahrenheit

Fantastic shave today, the Schick adjustable working great, so far I have only used a Personna blade in this razor but I have both Chinese Schicks and some twin blades, I am looking forward to seeing how they work for me in this razor. I think I will try the twin blades next, and keep the Chicks for my PAL Injecto-matic.

I was getting a bit bored with the Proraso Red pre shave, and wanted something with little or no scent as I was trying a new soap. Decided to use the Zirh Prepare oil, it is not too messy for an oil and did not leave the sink in a mess like some others I have tried.

The Mountain Yew soap was a very generous sample kindly supplied by @Blackmass . Before lathering the soap has hint of Vicks or Tiger Balm, but when lathered it changes, I found it reminded me a bit of Dior Fahrenheit so that was a good excuse to dig it out from the back of the cupboard as I can't remember the last time I used it, but you can't forget the smell. The soap gives a good lather, I thought I was overloading the brush but it turned out just right, so it looks like this soap takes a bit of work to get going but once there it is really good.

Thanks also to @patw who gifted the soap first.

Last edited:
Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
Pre shave - Proraso
Razor – Merkur 34C HD
Blade – Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush - 'The Duke' (Duke 3 Best)
Soap – Barrister & Mann - Leviathan
Post - Cold water rinse, Chatillon Lux – Bon Vivant Post Shave Toner

even though the Polsilver was past it's best, that was my best shave so far, using B+M... I guess there's hope yet ;)

Saturday 8th April 2017
View attachment 24553

Fantastic shave today, the Schick adjustable working great, so far I have only used a Personna blade in this razor but I have both Chinese Schicks and some twin blades, I am looking forward to seeing how they work for me in this razor. I think I will try the twin blades next, and keep the Chicks for my PAL Injecto-matic.

I was getting a bit bored with the Proraso Red pre shave, and wanted something with little or no scent as I was trying a new soap. Decided to use the Zirh Prepare oil, it is not too messy for an oil and did not leave the sink in a mess like some others I have tried.

The Mountain Yew soap was a very generous sample kindly supplied by @Blackmass . Before lathering the soap has hint of Vicks or Tiger Balm, but when lathered it changes, I found it reminded me a bit Dior Fahrenheit so that was a good excuse to dig it out from the back of the cupboard as I can't remember the last time I used it, but you can't forget the smell. The soap gives a good lather, I thought I was overloading the brush but it turned out just right, so it looks like this soap takes a bit or work to get going but once there it is really good.

@Bizzyberry , I find the Mountain yew smells like pears hand soap .Not the slickest soap I own but it does provide a good enough lather.

Saturday - 8/4/2017

Razor - Slim Aristocrat
Blade - Polsilver Wizamet (2)
Brush - Chubby 2 Best
Soap - OSP Sicilian Lemon Grove cream
Post - Allum & Witch hazel
A/S - Myrsol Agua de Limon.
Balm - Myrsol Emulsion.

Result - Great, highly enjoyable. It's a beautiful day here - the sort that makes you think you've survived another grim Scottish winter. A lighter citrus themed shave was in order. The cream is another winner from James - I have several of the hard soaps but this was the first of the new range I purchased. Every bit as good and recommended. I've had to move the Sunday shaving ritual a day forward as I need to go out tonight and look presentable. Bugger - I might even try to find a clean Rohan shirt to put on and - hopefully - slightly improve my usual dress code of looking like Ray Mears' bastard love child. On a serious note - my beloved Chubby shed a hair during the shave! Fear not - I gave it a decent Christian burial.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and your shaves gentlemen. I

Saturday 8th April 2017
View attachment 24553

The Mountain Yew soap was a very generous sample kindly supplied by @Blackmass . Before lathering the soap has hint of Vicks or Tiger Balm, but when lathered it changes, I found it reminded me a bit Dior Fahrenheit so that was a good excuse to dig it out from the back of the cupboard as I can't remember the last time I used it, but you can't forget the smell. The soap gives a good lather, I thought I was overloading the brush but it turned out just right, so it looks like this soap takes a bit or work to get going but once there it is really good.

Good to hear the soap worked out OK. I own Dior Fahrenheit and I didn't get that all. I wasn't a fan at all. Glad it didn't go to waste.

Back
Top Bottom