Sharon's new soap - a test drive

Received Sharon's (Nanny's Silly Soap's) newest, and as yet unnamed, hard shaving soap in the post today. I will test drive it over the next few days and report back after trying it out under different regimes. The recipe is based on her previous excellent olive oil soft soaps and on first opening I note that it has a nice subdued aroma, not unlike TOBS Mr Taylor's. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

Got mine as well. Fits perfectly in the Wilkie blue bowl and smells of divine Scottish pine. Lovely!
Will be getting some heavy use soon enough :)

P.S. btw, should be an interesting comparison - using it with 'wegie and London water! I suggest making some pictures as well.

I decided to trial Sharon's new unnamed soap under a variety of conditions and with an open mind, so that I could give an honest opinion rather than just hype it up because it's a freebie and came from our own Sharon, so if I don't like it, I'll say so.
I've been wet shaving from day one, never used an electric, and other than a short and disastrous couple of years with cartridges and goo before joining this forum and being born again, I've always used a DE, brush and shaving soap or cream.I have a tough wiry growth that tests any setup, and because my business requires me to be in court often, I require to shave every morning and sometimes that evening as well. I strive , and mostly succeed, for a BBS shave always, and have no skin problems. I have a fairly large collection of razors, including DEs, SEs, Injectors and also a few straights. These are all used in rotation at various times.
I decided to start the trial off this morning with an easy and foolproof set up:
Shower first, pre shave lotion, hot flannel and warm water, Gillette President with new Polsilver blade, and a 24mm Best Badger that always lathers well even with poorer soaps.Tomorrow will be with a Gem Jnr and an SE blade, using a large Silvertip which is a bit floppy,and this will be a cold water shave.Will publish the honest results after shave 3 and compare with Helveticum, our London colleague.

Not at the moment Charliej; I post temporary codes from time to time in Vendors offers section.
I'm looking forward to hearing how you are getting on with the soap gents; and if you've used my usual hard soap then comparison with that would be useful.

Doing 3 different shave types with the soap to give it the full workout Sharon. Last shave tomorrow morning, then I'll give my full and honest opinion on this thread.

Charliej said:
Is there a TSR discount for Sharon's soaps?

It's not on her menu, but Toots will with your order, include a hand written saucy limerick if you ask for it at the time of purchase. She is Irish and knows hundreds of those, even some clean ones.

Martin

There once was a saucy old woman
Who cooked all her soaps in the oven
The timer went ding
She tasted the thing
And scurried straight back to her coven

Not my best work.....:icon_rolleyes:

soapalchemist said:
Not my best work.....:icon_rolleyes:

Remember the one you did that started out:

A handsome young black man named Blake
Whose skin looked like devils food cake
When his pants he would.........ok Toots, no need to type the whole thing. Just wanted to jog your memory. Now that was saucy!

Okay, here is my report on Sharon's new soap after three different shaves. Shave 1 with a Gillette President and best badger, shave 2 with Gem Jnr SE and large silvertip, cold water, and 3 with Wade and Butcher straight and cheap boar brush. The main qualities I looked for were: a) aroma b) amount and quality of lather c) after effects on skin
Aroma: a slight "soapy" smell, but my thoughts are that this is as yet unscented. I dislike highly scented artificial smells anyway.
Lather: Masses of creamy, cushioning lather that the razor glides through, needing no effort at all to generate with warm or cold water.
After effects: Left skin smooth and fresh as well as moisturised. This lather does not dry on the skin and has a lasting emollient feel.
In summary, this is an outstanding soap, and I have to say that this surpasses anything Sharon has produced before. I would go as far as to say that it's the best lathering soap I've ever tried. Congratulations Sharon, a top quality product

That's good to hear Tom, I'm delighted it went so well. Thanks for all your efforts in giving me feedback about this. I feel another batch coming on very soon. Looking forward to hear how it fared in Helveticum's water.

Back
Top Bottom