Shampoo bars

I may make shampoo bars at some stage; unfortunately, natural soap such as I make, is too alkaline for hair. That's probably the problem you've had flip-68. It leaves the hair stiff and not shiny - not a good look or feel. The only way around that is to rinse with a vinegar solution afterwards; this brings the Ph back down. I've done this today and it worked fine; the vinegar smell disappears as the hair dries; I used about 1/3 vinegar to water, and sprayed it on from a spray bottle and left to dry. It left my hair feeling pretty good, so I'm going to continue the experiment for a while and see how it goes long term.
However, I'm aware that most people might not want the hassle of spraying with the vinegar (although it's no more hassle than using conditioner which I usually do, and my hair feels possibly better than usual).
Shampoo bars that leave the hair feeling o.k. without using vinegar or something similar, will be made primarily from synthetic surfactants. But at least they avoid yet another plastic bottle.

That also explains why when I forget a bottle of shampoo on my travels and use soap my hair feels like straw. I'm just learning about hair, I've had a skin head for years, but my hair is now over an inch long.

Greetings

My education is clearly lacking here; I had not heard of shampoo bars until I read this article. If they are an 'invention' of the last 25 years that would however explain things as it has been that long since I last had any hair!

Regards
Dick.

I considered shampoo bars, but decided I couldn't be bothered with yet more soap holders in the bathroom. I'm currently depleting posh bottles of L'Oreal 'EverStrong' - ludicrously expensive, sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner. She'll kill me when she finds out. I had thought that it wouldn't lather particularly well, without the usual ingredients, but have been pleasantly surprised. I'm sure any 'nasties' are merely replaced with alternative nefarious chemicals, mind you.

Lose the beard said:
That also explains why when I forget a bottle of shampoo on my travels and use soap my hair feels like straw. I'm just learning about hair, I've had a skin head for years, but my hair is now over an inch long.

:icon_rolleyes: hippy

Back
Top Bottom