Server Downtime

Yeah

Boab's just back from working overseas, probably as jet-lagged as hell, carried out the migration that ate the Bronx, overcame serious compatibility issues to get a basic forum back for everyone to use and gets thanked with criticism about SSL not protecting pictures of RAZORS - when I've already said it will be done!

Come on folks - really?

re security: as an ignorant fool I am here business as usual, in my defence nothing bad has happened to me on this forum since I joined Dec 30th 2015, but maybe I should wise up and become security aware? what is the worst case scenario? what could happen to me on this forum without https and SSL?

re security: as an ignorant fool I am here business as usual, in my defence nothing bad has happened to me on this forum since I joined Dec 30th 2015, but maybe I should wise up and become security aware? what is the worst case scenario? what could happen to me on this forum without https and SSL?
I was quite happy until it was mentioned, and each time it has been mentioned since, I have become more unhappy. I appreciate I'm also guilty mentioning it.
It's a lot easier to get personal info from a website than a bank card in a wallet, yet they're selling lined wallets.

Last edited:
The worst case is that you use the same password here that you use for your online banking or eBay or Amazon or whatever.
Without SSL it will be sent over the internet in plain text and in theory, someone can intercept the password and try it elsewhere, emptying your bank account or ordering stuff in your name. More likely is that someone gets your password here, logs in and posts in your name that you love Gillette shaving foam. That would ruin your reputation forever. :eek:
Most likely nothing bad will happen to you, but in 2018 it's best practice for any non-trivial website to use encryption by default, especially as the certificates needed to implement it can now be had for free.

I am an ignorant fool but not stupid enough to use the same password here as on eBay, still the Gillette shaving foam thing sounds damaging so please mr site owner fix SSL asap :)

I like the BW theme.
BTW, Dont mistake feedback for criticism and dont discourage it. It is important that site admins are made aware of the kinks and creases with site changes as seen from the other side of the mirror.

Good work switching over. I know of the work involved in running message boards and it must have been considerable to switch hosts not to mention nerve wrecking with the fear that everything is at risk of going up in smoke!

Well done

I would just like to say-

"Arghhh! Froth! How dare you do all this work for free without getting my permission first. I am absolutely furious that all you volunteers have stopped me visiting a free site, which I don't even pay for or nothing, for a day. In fact I think I'm going to take my bat home...when I've finishing telling you how annoyed I am of course :mad::mad:"

Whoop! I got my licks in first!
A truly Gothic input from our greatly cherished Count.

JohnnyO. o/

Hard work is always appreciated - I remember the last upgrade.
I'm not so taken with the monochrome look - but I could live with it, I guess.
Would be nice to see posters' total posts (even likes) - lets you know if you're dealing with novice or knowledgable.

Probably worth repeating. The update process is not yet complete. Boab decided that we would all like some use of the forum rather than being kept locked out. There is much still to do and Boab will do it as soon as he can. Please do let us know about issues but remember the pie is not yet fully cooked!

Back
Top Bottom