Semogue SOC

Received one today. Not tried it out yet so will report back accordingly. Considering how much it cost for a boar I'm (to put it mildly) slightly underwhelmed by the size of it - looks smaller than my 830, tiny compared to my 2000. It had better perform!!! The plus side is that it doesn't have that piggy stink about it - I wonder if the bristles have been washed/treated in some way?

Im surprised that you think it's small. I got the cherry on ebay for £20 delivered and its massive. Not far off the omega 48 I had and about twice the size of my 620. They are a fantastic brush. Arguably the best of the boars.

The SOC has a shorter loft than my 2000, but a taller handle.

Now to the good stuff. Well, I soaked the brush for 10 mins in luke warm water and did a couple of palm lathers with some RSC cream, a good rinse and towel off before putting the brush in the airing cupboard for an hour. After an hour I checked the tips - splitting nicely already (something I've never seen so early on in my collection of Omega and Semogue boars), so I decided to use it for today's shave. Face-lathered Haslinger sandalwood and managed to get enough for 4 passes with my AS-D2/ST-300 combo.

All in all this has the potential to be a fantastic boar. Very impressed with its performance - soft tips, but with good backbone (the knot seems more densely packed than any of my other boars). It already has that typical scruffy look of a Semogue boar.

OK, so after a week of daily use face-lathering, I'm almost tempted to say that this is the boar to get as a first and only boar. I'd say that >80 of the tips are split, backbone is still there but lather retention has probably doubled. Whilst the later retention is not yet quite badger levels, it's not far off.

If Semogue supplied this knot in one of their solid acrylic handles like those of the the 6xx/8xx series then I think that they could clean up most of the boar brush market.

SOC is very good also semogue 1520(black and white handle with red stripe in the middle, without the badger effect) is very good as well, something like a mini SOC. I am also very very pleased with omega 10066 and 10005, which are very good.
The good thing about boar brushes are; they are inexpensive so you can buy a few and try.

Shemen Zait said:
For the love of boar! what is so different between the SOC and Omega pro knot for 50% less?

Danny, SOC is quite big, very densly filled knot, posh handle. Knot is quite different then Omega. If you like boars you gotto get one mate, trust me its a different thing from a big omega, I am not saying better just different in a good way

As Sezer74 says, the knot is very different to something like an Omega 49, or even the posher 31064 for instance. It seems much more densely packed and displays a very pronounced mushrooming after a couple of uses.

Back
Top Bottom