Scratchy shaving brush - contributing to razor rash?

Hi all!

Forgive the long background, feel free to skip to the end if you wish.

Like a lot of you, my first brush was the Wilkinson sword from the supermarket. it was cheap, and reasonably good as supermarket / mass produced brushes go.
Sure it was a bit scratchy, but I thought that was normal. I also got a Bennys of london travel brush, which like the wilkinson sword was fine for painting, but scratchy when face lathering. I also got a Yaqi Synthetic. That is a lather machine and fantastic for painting, but is still scratchy when splayed.

I soon fell into the trap of building a small soap and cream selection, but soon noticed that some soaps and creams liked my face more than others.

TOBS Sandlewood seemed to iritate my face, as did Tabac vegan, and my lea shave stick. Another one which iritated my face only slightly was my vegan Speick stick. But I enjoyed the scent and performance of the Speick, so thought a tiny bit of iritate was the price to pay. On the other hand, some soaps didn't iritate my face at all. Arko was fine. As was the wilkinson sword blue bowl, and the Palmolive Cream. I thought that my face didn't like the ingredients, and was a bit disapointed that products i otherwise enjoyed weren't for me. An Arko stick I got also didn't.

Cut to a couple of weeks later when my kind other half purchased the Anbbas shaving kit for me as a gift:

At the time, I thought it was a kind gesture. After all, she had seen my get into wet shaving, and I had mentioned that was considering getting an animal hair brush.
And the lid from the wilkinson sword bowl wasn't the best lathering bowl.
But after checking the internet to find out what "pure badger" meant, I was worried that the brush would shred my face, compared to a Best or silvertip, which would be very soft.

I decided to use it anyway. I soaked it in slightly soapy water to remove the smell, and based on a post on the wicked_edge subreddit - washed with some standard conditioner.

I soon realised that despite the fact that it came in a set with a bowl, it was a rubbish bowl latherer. Due to its poor backbone, it also struggled to load of a reasonably hard puck of soap.

But where it shined was face lathering shave sticks! I started using the Arko stick with it, and was amazed by how soft the brush was on my face. I can only assume that during manufacturing; all of the shit bristles had been used up, leaving only the nice ones for this brush.

After a couple of attempts of using the Arko stick, i switched to the speick. (remember how i did it did iritate a bit, but not so much that it prevented me from using it)
And to my surprise, there was no irirattion at all!

Further experiments proved that the soaps I had written off would only iritate my face if it was iritated to begin with. Whether that be due to scratchy brushes or poor DE shaving technique.

Are there any others in this forum who also have soaps which only iritate them when they use a brush which is too rough?
What did you do about it?
Do you pass on the brushes which caused these issues?
Do you just not use those soaps / creams anymore?

Let me know...

My experience with TOBS saldalwood is the same, for me it also irritates the skin. I have never had skin irritation with scratchy brushes. However i do find that if I use animal hair brushes and do not properly clean them well they irritate my skin as well. personally i attribute this to residual proteins on the hair that likely cause some kind of allergic reaction. once properly cleaned i have no issue.

i also find similar reaction when i handle Pork meat for example in prepping for a BBQ so again i attribute this to proteins and not to scratchiness, but all skins are different!

also not properly dried brushes which cause bacterial growth could cause skin irritation as the blade opens the skin even lightly and then bacteria can cause issues

Back
Top Bottom