Scouting

Northam Saint said:
Rufus said:
In my youth I was a Cub and a Scout. In my younger adult days I was a Cub Leader and a Scout Master. I think Scouting, be it for either boys or girls, is a tremendous institution, which teaches important and essential life skills, self-sufficiency and civic responsibility. Moreover, I found it just plain good clean fun and looked forward to meetings, hikes, camping trips, working on merit badges and jamborees. It's too bad that the Scouting movement is somewhat of a backwater today; it deserves to have its place in the sun again.

Not too sure of the Canadian Scouting scene. Must be fun camping in Canada, what with bears and extreme cold in the winter.

It's is good fun. This year, I've completed my Small Bore Rifle Instructors Cert, flown in a two seater light air plane, completed a mile swim, walked for miles, camped several times and the best bit I have given out something like 300 badges which they have earned. And of course I've enjoyed the company of the Young People and fellow leaders. All down to Scouting.

During my Scouting days I was quite fortunate to have experienced Scouting in three quite different countries: South Africa, USA and Canada. I started as a Scout in South Africa, was a Cub Leader in Houston, Texas and a Scout Master in Ottawa, Canada. With respect to camping, one year I took a group of Cubs in their final year to the Scout camp just north of Houston. We were, of course, sleeping under canvas and during the first of three nights it rained like a monsoon. I and the other leaders spent most of that night going from tent to tent to make sure the boys were okay. In the morning we found all the boys' clothing and equipment to be soaked so we suggested we all should go home; not one of the boys wanted that so we stayed for another two nights so allowing the boys to earn their camping badge. Fortunately the next day was sunny and warm so we were able to get all our clothing and kit dry. In Canada the local area council held a Klondike Derby every winter and most of my Scout Troop participated. It would be held in Gatineau Park, a Provincial wilderness park, near Ottawa, in February. We all had to sleep in snow caves we made ourselves and cook our meals over open fires. The snow would be very deep at that time, requiring the use of snowshoes, and the temperature at night would usually be below zero F, which was a good thing as our clothing and kit would not get wet. The hardest, and funniest, part of this camping was to convince the boys not to sleep in their clothes and to change into jams or such like, and how to build a cooking fire on top of the snow that would not sink out of site into the snow as they cooked their meals. During the day on Saturday and Sunday there would be snowshoe races, dog sled races (each team of boys had to build a dog sled, which they would pull as a team with all their kit on board), first aid lessons on how to deal with winter injuries and cold weather survival skills and how to survive a blizzard whilst in the bush. It was all very good fun and the boys looked forward to it every year, as did I. I'm glad to say that for the five years I took my Troop, not one boy was injured by the cold, or anything else for that matter. I have very fond memories of these winter camps. BTW, there were no bears in the area or at least we didn't sight any or come across spore; however, there were plenty of beavers, coyotes, foxes, rabbits and the like.

Some of my fondest memories from my nipperhood are from my time in the Scouts, I'm sure there were a couple of years where I spent more time under canvas than at home, and it's surprising how many of the skills I learned have come in useful.

Blimey, can you enable a few more people please, we could do with some more leaders in my group!......actually more leaders in most groups around the country!
Boy can I relate to being outside scouting and having my scout name (grey)shouted out randomly by one of the youngsters. Last happened in the Imperial War Museum in London, bearing in mind I live and Scout in Norfolk, that's not bad going!

Re: RE: Scouting

Pig Cat said:
I'm sure that most parents are appreciative of the amount their kids get out of scouting, and of the time and hard work the leaders/helpers put in.

We definitely are; our kids have learned so much, and have so much fun! My oldest has been in Scouting for over 10 years now, and my youngest is nearing her decennial.

I have to confess here, I spent alot of my time growing up as a cub then scout and then venture scout and just as it turned into explorers.
I was very fortunate as with my time in scouting we got to do all sorts and had lots of parental support and not much in the way of H&S and rules. We had a scream, no one ever hurt and lots of cool fires, structures built, Den`s discovered, hills walked and objects carved. Arkala / Skip`s word was the law and never questioned and always obayed.
I started to move into the adult leadership role but left at that point as members of the scouting movement werent allowed penknives, werent allowed to do this that and the other and it no longer felt like what scounting was when I were a cub and scout. It just felt like a creshe for ill behaved kids and parents who just wanted rid of there kids and didnt want to be involved but were more than happy to take advantage of leaders good will.
I binned it off in the end which was hard to do and still having friends who are leaders within scounting i take my hat off to them as I couldnt do it now, i barely find the organiseation recognisable.

Best of luck to those who are leaders or willing to give there time for it you have my admiration.

ATB Matt

Eeyore68 said:
Why would scouts not be allowed pen knives?? My kids have a pen knife and a dagger/saw, and nobody complains.

My son has a knife, he knows that the knife stays at home unless he's been told to take it, say camping with the Scouts.

We don't in our group have a real outright ban on knives. We do say not to take knives when we camp, if there was an occasion when we needed to use knives then what we would do is to get them to hand them in so they were altogether in one safe place. Reason being accidents can happen and kit could also get damaged. I know I can trust my Cubs and Scouts, but there can always be a situation where fooling around or otherwise can lead to something happening. I'd rather let them use them in a controlled environment with leaders overseeing.

The main reason being I can have anything up to say 30 under my care and I would hate an accident to happen. I wouldn't like to explain to a parent that their child had been hurt. Yes there is a lot of rules and health and safety issues, perhaps too many. But they are there to protect the Young People and also the leaders.

I have no problem whatsoever with them all using a knife, and I feel I have a responsibility to show them how to use an care for a knife. That said I do know of some leaders who would NEVER let them handle a knife. Not right in my opinion.

salop sniper said:
I have to confess here, I spent alot of my time growing up as a cub then scout and then venture scout and just as it turned into explorers.
I was very fortunate as with my time in scouting we got to do all sorts and had lots of parental support and not much in the way of H&S and rules. We had a scream, no one ever hurt and lots of cool fires, structures built, Den`s discovered, hills walked and objects carved. Arkala / Skip`s word was the law and never questioned and always obayed.
I started to move into the adult leadership role but left at that point as members of the scouting movement werent allowed penknives, werent allowed to do this that and the other and it no longer felt like what scounting was when I were a cub and scout. It just felt like a creshe for ill behaved kids and parents who just wanted rid of there kids and didnt want to be involved but were more than happy to take advantage of leaders good will.
I binned it off in the end which was hard to do and still having friends who are leaders within scounting i take my hat off to them as I couldnt do it now, i barely find the organiseation recognisable.

Best of luck to those who are leaders or willing to give there time for it you have my admiration.

ATB Matt

I've answered the knife bit but as for the naughty ones and accidents in general.

My Cubs are incredibly well behaved. We have a set of rules that they have written. I am a qualified teaching assistant so I have learnt many techniques for dealing with things. I know of a few leaders who shout and use whistles. I have a whistle but never use it. A simple folding of arms and non eye contact settles them.

We also have a three strikes and your our rule. This works by 1st incident where I have to speak to one they have a verbal warning. Second time they sit out for 10 minutes, 3rd time they have to explain to mum and dad why they can't come the following week. NO one has ever got to level 3. Fighting is an instant ring the parents to take them home, again never ever happened.

I've only ever had one have an accident. That was when one of them ran into a radiator. Bit of claret but he was as right as rain.

We get the odd one that pushes the limits sometimes but as a rule they are great. We are lucky as well as most of the parents are very supportive.

Just want to say a huge thank you to all the adults who help out at scouts, my childhood was pretty miserable but my saving grace was that one night a week that I could have fun without any worries. For those of you who wonder if you make a difference, believe me when I tell you for some kids you do for sure.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

jim3rg said:
Just want to say a huge thank you to all the adults who help out at scouts, my childhood was pretty miserable but my saving grace was that one night a week that I could have fun without any worries. For those of you who wonder if you make a difference, believe me when I tell you for some kids you do for sure.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Cheers Jim. Good to hear that.

One thing I always say to people when I run through their training is about making it a safe place where they can have fun. A place where adults don't raise their voices, and all the young people get an equal chance in everything.

I always state we don't know what their home life is like, for many it's fine. But every so often you may get someone who's home life isn't where mum and dad live, mum and dad may even argue a lot.

We listen to our parents and I've had a couple of cases where the young person is being bullied at school. Even more need for a safe place where they can be themselves.

I signed up as a scout leader just over 18 months ago, and now help run explorers - slightly older so really enjoy it. I also joined the Scout Caving team and help run caving trips - there is nothing like taking a load of cubs/scouts under ground - I know its something they will always remember, and to see someone who is a little apprehensive break through and come out loving it is simply one of the greatest senses of achievement! Its a great cause. I'm looking forward to Peak 2015!

Further to this and back to the start really and the importance of teaching kids first aid.

I got a call yesterday from my son's school. They were using glue guns and someone knocked my sons friends hand, he shot forward squirted glue over my sons hand, all an accident. My son straight away was over to a sink and hand under the cold tap. I took him to our local minor injuries and it is a bad burn, so we were referred to the plastics department at Derriford. The consultant there took a look and thankfully said that it just needs dressing and keeping an eye on and a visit back next Tuesday as they can get worse. But in his opinion the first aid was excellent and that my sons action meant that more serious damage was avoided.

All his First Aid training was done by myself, I was his Cub leader and he's now a Scout. We are all as leaders first aid trained to provide a minimum first aid teaching. Rather proud of my son to know he knows what to do for himself and anyone else should he need to. His comment was "Dad you have always kept on at us about first aid", perhaps I do stress the importance of it to my Cubs. BUT, twice now it has had a impact on people.

Sat in the hospital though an older looking mum was saying about putting butter on burns !!!! NO !!! It's about time new parents had basic first aid training.

Back
Top Bottom