Schick Twin Injector Performance with Twin Blades

I personally don'y think a blade can be too sharp. It's the dull ones I fear. I'd love to get my hands on 74s DE blades, but the prices are just too silly. As for 74s injector blades.. I find them sharp, but very smooth.. not a single weeper ever... very forgiving..

On my shopping list...

Hi there,

Much as I like the 74 DEs, those injector blades are just a little too much than needed. Kinda reminds me of the Feather DE like that. Not forgiving and real real sharp. Hah, also expensive because everyone else loves em. I got lots more high performance shaves from both of the Personna DE/injector blades, which isn't that unusual.

Ones to try are those Gillette Platinum Plus blades like what Erik and others have scored a while back. From late 60s into the 70s with the green pack. Quite sharp and somewhat forgiving.

Martin
Yeah, some of those NOS Injector Blades are Crazy Sharp and whilst I like them a lot there is a thin line where some can border on being just too much blade....A feather like touch is the order of the day with them for sure.....That's why I don't see any benefit whatsoever from a heavy Stainless Injector like the KickStarter ...o_O

Billy

Last edited:
There was some confusion going on about Twin blades in another Forum a moment ago about the suitably of Twin blades for certain injectors...Forums are great place for sharing information but every now & then someone basically gives out the wrong Intel and confuses people...Someone was Negating my advice that Twin blade did not fit Type E & G injectors and this was causing some confusion because this Guy said they fitted fine..:mad:

Here is my response....:cool:

The information that I have and can tell you for certain is that they DO FIT ALL SCHICK INJCECTORS from the I Type onwards with the exception of Models with the "Rinsing Lever Function"...I wouldn't recommend them for PAL Injectors as the heads are very tight...I have also been informed from reliable sources that the PAL Injectors can be destroyed by twin blades cause they are thicker...I can confirm that the heads are very tight..Skull & Cross Bones...:eek:

I have also been informed that they can damage E & G Types and I haven't tried it...There are a few folks that have done this tho apparently...Some say they fit fine & others say they are a very tight fit...We make our choices on that one I suppose..;)

FOOT NOTE>>>Right... I have just had a look at the Twin Blades & they are not only thicker than single blades they are at least a full millimetre Wider as well...I have just tried them in an E Type that opens...I chose this injector because I will not have to force them in and I will be able to feel how things go..:p

I can tell you right now that they Do Not Fit an E Type injector....They are far too Wide by a long shot..I tried to close it & the blade is getting pushed over the blade stop because there is no room for the wider blade...That means they Do not Fit a G Type either..I have always known this anyway cause as I said the heads are tighter than earlier models & the Old Timer Schick users have told me this also...;)

A final word...I have no doubt that these blades will somehow go in when injected with a Key into a E or G Type..But I can tell you now that they will damage your injector because the back of the head will be forced back to get them in...In addition to this there will be too much tension on the blade stops & the spring...Whatever anyone says its Skull & Cross Bones...I can confirm that they do not Fit Properly...:D

Billy

The one Millimetre ...:p
DSC_0179_zpsevtsqwwp.jpg

Here is the difference...The Twin Blade in the Centre is about a Millimetre Wider than both the Current Injector Blade on the Left & the Original Repeater blade on the right...The Twin blades are thicker than both tho....They are a lot thicker than the current blade & slightly thicker than the Original Repeater blade...The Repeater blade is slightly thicker than the Current blade...The Twin blades are a Snug Fit in the Repeater but offer more blade exposure..:p.

I did notice that when I fitted the B 1 Type Repeater with the Twin Blade there was more blade exposure because the Twin Blades are Wider...Forgot to mention that one as it shaved very well...That will not damage anything though as there is no stops in the Repeater as long as you don't mind more blade exposure...I didn't find it to be too aggressive anyway...But some folks might I suppose...:D

As far as the Heads go in later Injectors...They are a different set up the earlier E & G Types...There is more Give & Take in these Heads because the Spring set up is totally different...In other words the later injectors are more pliable & malleable for sure and they are made of lighter materials...That's why they are fine with the Twin Blades...You know when you open up later Schick Injectors to load a blade...They open very easily and very wide compared to the earlier E & G Types..:)

Billy

Very interesting posts, Billy.

I thought I'd report my findings from my Schick E2 type injector (USA).

I see what you mean about the extra mm width of the twin blade compared to a regular modern single (chick) blade. I measured the twin blade to be exactly twice as thick as the single blade. The injector key for both the twin and single are exactly the same measurements which means that the razors are opened up the same amount when inserting the key and blade, so that wouldn't be a difference.

The below photo shows a regular single blade loaded. You can see it already is tight against the inside back of the head. The top cap of the razor isn't even parallel with the blade and you can see there's even some headspace between the back of it and the blade. I don't know if this pinch clamping of the blade is better; as you said older blades were thicker.

E2_with_twin-1_zpsd5mk9pxj.jpg

If the twin blade were to be loaded using the usual key method I can see how the blade would scrape hard against the back of the razor head and almost certainly cause damage to the head; so I didn't want to try that. Instead I opened up the razor (using the lever; as this is an opening type injector), placed the twin blade in and closed it again. The thickness of the blade didn't snag on the inside top of the razor and went in easily.

As you can see in the below photo the twin blade fits snug in the head. Even looks a better fit than the single! The blade is still tight up against the back of the head. You can definitely see how the razor is not as "closed" as with a single blade; what difference that would make in practice I don't know. When I closed the razor by moving the tab to its usual position I could feel more resistance than when loading a single blade but not really all that much difference. It certainly didn't feel like I had to force it closed. Maybe my razor has a slacker spring but it didn't feel like there was exceptional tension.

E2_with_twin-2_zpsoj19woz3.jpg

Below shows a single blade loaded. (Excuse the scratches, I had to use a table lamp very close to the razor and this shows up every detail. It doesn't look anything like this in "real life")
E2_with_twin-4_zpsfzxaimav.jpg

Below shows a twin blade loaded. You can see how the top cap is slightly further open (by 1mm) but the blade is correctly held by the stops up against the lower of the blades. This is the same method as my Schick Dial Adjustable holds a twin blade. The "divider" plate between the blades doesn't actually touch the stops but that's hard to see from the photo.
E2_with_twin-3_zpsd1otbi59.jpg

I haven't tried shaving with the twin blade loaded but it's on my to-do list.

What are your thoughts, Billy? Do you think the twin blade would be under too much tension or not held correctly? Do my photos look different to your experience?

Last edited:
Interesting..I recently had this discussion as mentioned above...Your third pic form the bottom is showing a side shot..The blade in that shot is clearly siting back towards the rear...They are too wide to sit in the blade tray without hitting the back even before its closed up even...Of course you can get them in but they are too tight up against the stops and the back of the head...I mean that head at the back is forced way back ...o_O

I know they will go in to a Type E but they have got be forced in as your pic shows and I didn't go that far..The bottom line is that they don't fit properly and it does put a lot of pressure on the stops, head & spring...You will end up with a loose head because the dynamics of the head & spring will change accordingly...If you put a cut down Feather Pro blade in there it will shave as well as twin blades..Take my word for that & it will cause no damage..:D

Billy

Interesting..I recently had this discussion as mentioned above...Your third pic form the bottom is showing a side shot..The blade in that shot is clearly siting back towards the rear...They are too wide to sit in the blade tray without hitting the back even before its closed up even...Of course you can get them in but they are too tight up against the stops and the back of the head...I mean that head at the back is forced way back ...o_O

I know they will go in to a Type E but they have got be forced in as your pic shows and I didn't go that far..The bottom line is that they don't fit properly and it does put a lot of pressure on the stops, head & spring...You will end up with a loose head because the dynamics of the head & spring will change accordingly...If you put a cut down Feather Pro blade in there it will shave as well as twin blades..Take my word for that & it will cause no damage..:D

Billy

I just checked closing the razor without a blade loaded and the top cap does rest against second part of the head at the back corner. For example, in my first photo the rear of two head plates are parallel to each other with a single blade loaded, but without a blade the two plates touch at the top. This proves that the single blade is tight against the back of the top plate and is under some tension when the razor is closed.

I agree that the extra mm width of the the twin blade will be placing more tension on the blade/spring/cap which could deform the spring with prolonged use. I guess the only way would be to try it but I value my razor too much for that so don't think I'll test it - well maybe one twin-blade shave.

I did read your other post about using a cut down Feather Pro blade. That's also on my to-do list, cheers.

I just checked closing the razor without a blade loaded and the top cap does rest against second part of the head at the back corner. For example, in my first photo the rear of two head plates are parallel to each other with a single blade loaded, but without a blade the two plates touch at the top. This proves that the single blade is tight against the back of the top plate and is under some tension when the razor is closed.

I agree that the extra mm width of the the twin blade will be placing more tension on the blade/spring/cap which could deform the spring with prolonged use. I guess the only way would be to try it but I value my razor too much for that so don't think I'll test it - well maybe one twin-blade shave.

I did read your other post about using a cut down Feather Pro blade. That's also on my to-do list, cheers.
Yeah..I just had a discussion on another Forum there about Schick Injectors...Every Damaged Schick Injector that I have seen has been damaged by user abuse or neglect...Folks do all sorts of strange things with them like taking blades out to clean & store them...A lot of sellers are knackering them by opening the models that are not meant to open..o_O

There are folks that open them up to clean them and knacker them up as well..They are an engineering genius of simplicity and a lot of folks think that they are smarter than the genius that invented them..There was a guy the other day saying that there was issues with quality of materials Schick were using because the springs got knackered pushing them over the centred groove...I informed him that these models with a centred spring and groove were not meant to open..I am an Engineer he said..:D

I mean this Guy...Doh !...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Billy

Got two Schick G injectors (one bought as E but proved to be G) anyway just had to do the wrong thing and open one to see what gives. It was easy enough with proper tools and care including a business card to avoid skid mark. So it will work as sort of a last resort for cleaning if injector is super heavily contaminated. Closing was as easy as opening. And my Schick G works just like before but once is enough for the curious dillettante do not want to stretch my luck :)

Got two Schick G injectors (one bought as E but proved to be G) anyway just had to do the wrong thing and open one to see what gives. It was easy enough with proper tools and care including a business card to avoid skid mark. So it will work as sort of a last resort for cleaning if injector is super heavily contaminated. Closing was as easy as opening. And my Schick G works just like before but once is enough for the curious dillettante do not want to stretch my luck :)
Well..That doesn't Surprize Me..You just had to Do it..Well..Its not a good Idea..Its a Sure Way to Knacker then Up..They are Not meant to Open & they Don't need to be Opened..Its you're Injector though & that's Up to You but just to Clarify for others its not a good Idea..There are Injectors all Over EBay that have been Knackered Doing this..:eek:

Billy

What is the worst thing that could happen but did not in my case?
Common Sense I suppose..I know for a Fact that they are Not that easily opened & closed because I got one that was loose by these practices & attempted to Fix it..I am Mechanically Minded & Quite Proficient with Tools..Its Just Luck if You get away with it..o_O

The Spring ends up all loose & the head rattles & it wont hold the blade properly..There are many of them getting sold that have been Opened & Re - Closed & the Heads are Loose..The Bottom Line is that they are Not Designed to be Opened & it can Write them Off & it more commonly does than Not..;)

Billy

Greetings

I had (and have now used them) all 1 magazine of Gillette Twinjector blades, I only loaded them into and shaved with them in my Schick L injector. They certainly gave me a good shave but needed the lightest of touches because they are for me just too sharp, probably as sharp as those feather artists club style blades and for me unless I take extreme care these type of blades will make my face sore.

The purpose of this post is in any event to say that I too would not suggest using them in razor models before the Schick I, the I model was the first of the 'new' style of head with the more modern spring. I think that the 'modern' style of spring seems better able to maintain it's tension than the old style and as Billy comments it was made around the time or after the release of the twin blades so they certainly should (and do) fit.

As to older models you have exactly the same situation as you do with fitting a spine on a Feather SE blade and trying it in several 1912 razors. Some the razors tops will close and others will not, the reason as far as I can tell might be partially to do with manufacturing tolerances but more to do with how much the spring has become compressed over time, very old well worn models close easily, less worn ones do not and forcing them shut (as you can do) generally knackers the spring.

I think you have the same situation with the Injector razors, the blade is wider just like the Feather SE with a spine and you might well get it to fit in an E or G model if it is well worn or, by using a little bit of force if it is not, but it is not to be
recommended at all!

Regards
Dick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom