Schick Stick

First shave with the Schick Stick with a Schick blade this evening.

I was expecting a mini Cobra or Mongoose - far from it.

This razor is very mild and needs a bit of pressure to get things done. I found it quite easy to use.

Result was a 3 pass DFS.
Quite impressed with the results.

What are the best blades to use with these?
I could do with something a little sharper.
I have pack of blades from Connaughts to try at some point.

How many shaves do you get from a blade?

Anyone bought one of these:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281133044193&alt=web

(Thanks again to Miles853 for the razor)

That looks like an l/m type schick nut you can get those for similar prices

I like the Connaught blades and can get 6 shaves from a blade

I've read about that off-brand on B&B where reports are NOT favourable.

For a rundown on the types of Schick, check out: http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm ... I didn't really get on with any of them, but the ones I got most success from were the E & G models with the long handled J coming in close behind. Injectors that I did get on with were the PAL Injectomatic and the Gillette 'Twinjector', the Gillette being the only one I kept.

For blades, you have three choices: Personna (from Connaught), Chinese "Schick" ("Chicks") or vintage - if you can find some vintage Gillette Platinum Plus, you'll enjoy those. Blade longevity is a YMMV - I can see 'em off by the end of three shaves, but I have read of folks carrying on to 8, 10 or more.

MrK1 said:
First shave with the Schick Stick with a Schick blade this evening.

I was expecting a mini Cobra or Mongoose - far from it.

This razor is very mild and needs a bit of pressure to get things done. I found it quite easy to use.

Result was a 3 pass DFS.
Quite impressed with the results.

What are the best blades to use with these?
I could do with something a little sharper.
I have pack of blades from Connaughts to try at some point

How many shaves do you get from a blade?

Hi there,

Yeah, the Schick injectors are pretty far removed from a Cobra. The shaving angle is similar but that's about it. The Mongoose is a different animal altogether.

Sharper blades are vintage ones, as Paul posted about. I also like those Gillette Plus Platinum blades from the late 60-early 70s. Very smooth and somewhat forgiving, but quite sharp. The Personna74 blades are even sharper but they need more paying attention to. I also like the Schick Plus Platinum blades from around 1990 and made by Warner Lambert in the US. Not quite as sharp as the Gillette but still nice. The Schick Twinjectors are sharp and smooth for me anyway. Normally I will get 7-8 nice shaves per blade.

Don't buy the older blades that came with the early razors. Those are nasty.

. Adjustables can be handy to dial in the shave and your 'Stick' shaves like the #3-4 setting. Bumping that up will make a difference, along with a sharp blade.

Here's a pic of what was my favorite set up. Only thing that's changed is the razor.

Martin

Attachments

• Schick M type combo 002 (Small).jpg
    Schick M type combo 002 (Small).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom