Savile Row 3824?

Hi all,

I decided to buy a Savile Row 3824. Does anyone here have one that would care to comment? I'm still waiting for it to be delivered, but I can't wait. It's supposed to be awesome, and was winner of B&B's Brush Wars.

In hindsight I'm thinking I may have ordered too big. I find my CH2 too big, I wonder how the size will compare? I mainly face lather!

Regards,

John

Every where i have tried to source the elusive savile row 3824 seems to be sold out :? , they do a range of brushes similar to Kent, Not found a UK supplier yet B&B seems to be the place to sourse them :)

Pete said:
I've heard about these brushes but never seen them for sale anywhere. Are they available in the UK?

Pete

Not that I know of. I ordered mine from Charles at QED: http://www.qedusa.com.

His website is horrific. Click on the link on the left that has the flashing triangle to get to his catch-all page. If you email him he's very pleasant to deal with though.

John

Received this brush today.... wow!

It looks superb. for $115, plus shipping, it only came to £79.33! A real bargain. :mrgreen:

The hair is the best Silvertip I have experienced yet. Really very dense, with soft, white tips. Far nicer than my Rooney 3/1 Super!

The knot is a bulb shape, I have yet to experience this in a brush. All mine so far have been fans, will be interesting to see how it compares.

I have just test lathered with it (the postman came after I shaved...) and it produced a superb lather with Tabac, and far quicker than the Semogue 1305 boar I used this morning. Not dissing the Semogue, it's an awesome brush for the money, but it just can't compare.

I will post a review after my first use!

PS. The knot is a 24mm, not 28mm like my CH2.

I have a Savile Row 3824 that I bought at the beginning of the year.

I ignored the site and just e-mailed them; the replies were very quick, professional and answered all my questions. Shipping was quick and it was a completely different experience to the one you would expect if you used the site as a guide. I don’t know why he doesn’t tidy it up, he did say that he was working on a new site so maybe that will come soon. Either way I would say do not let it put you off, in my experience QED are honest and genuine sellers.

As for the 3824 itself;

As said above it is a 24mm knot. While I have other brushes the same size the 3824 still looks like a monster next to them, I am sure it is not the biggest brush out there but it is the biggest that I own. It copes well with easy lathering soaps like Tabac and P160, but I do prefer a stiffer brush for hard triple milled soaps. I like to use the 3824 either as a big luxury cream brush or with a shave stick, when fully loaded it can do a three or four pass shave without any problems at all. It is very densely packed and even after a lot of use mine has not shed a single hair that I have seen. I also like the shape of the handle which fits nicely in my hand. Pound for pound it is good value and I am sure they would sell well if more readily available here. I got mine when the exchange rate was a bit more favourable but even at today’s rate it is still good value for the calibre of brush you are getting.

Overall I do not regret the purchase one bit, I feel this brush will be with me for many years and will still perform as well then as it does now.

I've used this brush a few times now, and here are my observations:

• Tremendous quality for the money. Feels like it should cost double! I'm not exaggerating here.
  • Very soft, very white tips, very dark (almost black) middle band. Proper silvertip! If the hair was set lower in the handle, you'd think it was a Finest two-band.
  • The brush is just a bit too large for me. Just a touch. I mainly face lather, and am used to brushes of around 50mm loft and 22mm knot. If I decide to sell this, I will definitely be buying another Savile Row, just smaller. I have decided I prefer smaller brushes.
  • Very dense - not as dense as a Chubby or Rooney but dense none the less. Sort of "sucks" your face as you apply lather - I have never felt that sensation before, I wonder what causes it?
  • Does not hog the lather!
  • Like Audiolab - I have not seen a single hair shed. Quality![/list:u]

Overall, I'm very pleased with it, I just wish I'd gone for the 22mm or 20mm size, which I feel would suit face lathering better.

John

Back
Top Bottom