Savile Row 3120

Well guys,

After a month or so of using boar exclusively, I now realise the error of my ways and am wanting to try a badger brush again. I just ordered a 3120 for a princely sum of £64 including delivery:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile-3120-silvertip-badger-20mm-knot-p-144.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile-312 ... p-144.html</a><!-- m -->

I've tried several brushes from most of the famous makers (although not as many as Lord Fido, obviously) :mrgreen: I know now what I like in a brush, and what I don't.

This will be my only badger brush! I will report further when I receive it.

The Savile Rows I had in the past (3824 and 3122) were the older, longer lofted versions, so I'm very curious how the new shorter loft will perform.

John

EDIT: Hey, who changed my title? :mrgreen:

henkverhaar said:
Mmm, can't we tempt you into ordering a nice custom badger brush? Would probably not be more expensive than that Savile Row brush anyway ;-)

Very tempting Henk! If I don't get on with the SR, will let you know. I do actually mean it this time - one badger for me (at least, at a time). :mrgreen:

John

Yeah, I would love to run a steam-powered lathe ;-)

Choice of: olive, elm, pink ivory, black elder (South African), African padouk, plum, zebrano, or rosewood for the handle material. Or bocote or lignum vitae when someone asks real nicely ;-)

An old mate Candy headed the team that broke the record for a steam powered vehicle, very British and not that fast really, they were doing 100mph in steam cars at the turn of the last century.
Flatfish could clean his ears behind this one and listen to some decent music.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLs78GsWWkM[/youtube]

And I was going to suggest that John writes a boar brush blog!

I'll be very surprised if we don't get a positive review from John about this Savile Row. The 20mm/50mm knot/loft combo works really well. Pity it's not available in the UK.

Fido said:
And I was going to suggest that John writes a boar brush blog!

I'll be very surprised if we don't get a positive review from John about this Savile Row. The 20mm/50mm knot/loft combo works really well. Pity it's not available in the UK.

I love my 10005, but it'll be nice to have a bit of luxury too. I actually really like the bulb-shaped heads - they work really well and I find that the "point" created when wet allows for precise lather application. Blimey, I just read that again. I am a very boring man...

:?

John

Yes - the old site was a great example of how not to design a website....

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://web.archive.org/web/20080822023852/http://www.qedusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://web.archive.org/web/200808220238 ... edusa.com/</a><!-- m -->

The fact he's still in business is testament to the quality of his products!

John

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post an update on my 3120.

Shipping from Charles at QED was, as usual, prompt and problem free. It arrived a week after my order. I think he now has an online form for overseas orders (i.e. us), but a quick email to him works just as well and he's a great chap to deal with.

Here it is:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile-3120-silvertip-badger-20mm-knot-p-144.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile-312 ... p-144.html</a><!-- m -->

This isn't my first Savile Row - that was the big 3824 that was famously winner of B&B's "Brush Wars" a few years ago. That brush was amazing, but seeing as I primarily face lather, and I have a relatively small-ish face, I found it a little large for me.

My next order was the 3122. This was also fabulous - never doubt the quality and value of Savile Row brushes - but again, I found it a touch too large.

Both of these brushes were from back when they had longer lofts. Charles recently decided to reduce the lofts on some of his models due to the demands of the American market, and I feel this was a very good decision.

The 3xxx series are Silvertip Badger, which as we know is subject to variance in quality and there is no real standard in place to regulate the categorisation of Badger hair.

Of all the badger brushes I've tried, the Savile Row is most definitely Silvertip: the tips are very white, the darker band is very dark, and the tips are pillowy soft. Simpsons' current "Super" grade is nowhere near as soft as this, in fact I would say their Super is more like Best, there really isn't that much of a difference between them to warrant the price differential.

Now, my 3120 is one of the newer shorter loft brushes, with a 20mm knot and 50mm loft. It is also a bulb shape, all of my brushes from other makes have been fans. Because of its shape, the knot feels smaller than a fan shape with equivalent specifications, due to the progressively shorter hairs around the circumference.

I actually really, really like the bulb shape - it feels luck something is "sucking" at your face when lathering (I'm not sure the physics behind this, but it must be something to do with the bulp shape and how it creates a vacuum). I like to think of my hairs being sucked into position for cutting - I'm sure this is psychological, but it's a nice feeling none the less.

On the the brush's performance. It's a wonderful combination of softness with backbone, but without being overly stiff. The shorter loft really helps with this - the 3122 and 3824 felt a bit more flexible (yet still not floppy). It has real "presence" on the face, yet is still very soft and comfortable, but not so soft you cannot feel it. It is most definitely not floppy. A really nice, well-rounded performer.

The knot is also dense - not stupidly dense like a Chubby or Stubby - but very generously packed. This has a couple of advantages - it doesn't hog the lather like the afore-mentioned brushes - it also lathers exceedingly quickly.

Charles once told me how he couldn't understand the soap vs. cream brush mentality, and he wondered who started this. Sure, some brushes are so floppy that they only lather creams well, and some so stiff they seem to do well picking up soap. But why not get a brush that does both equally well? Enter the Savile Row. I can confirm that this brush is superb with both soap and cream (and I'm sure Fido will agree) and I'll leave it at that.

The 31xx handle is very comfortable also, and looks good too. It really suits the bulp shape knot, and there's a pleasing symmetry to it. Some brushes just don't look right to me - in particular the Polo/Alibaba style with bulb shaped knots. I can't explain why, but to me it looks like the knots have been put on the wrong handle by mistake! :)

So, which do I prefer, my 10005 or 3120? I have to say my 3120, by a good margin. It lathers far quicker and creates and holds more lather than the boar, and I prefer its smaller size. Saying that, the 10005 is a great, great brush for the money, and I will likely keep it as my travel brush.

My only criticism with the 3120, and it's purely cosmetic, is that the lettering on the handle was a bit patchy out of the box. The lettering is engraved and painted in black, and the paint is patchy in places. I may try touching it up myself. I'm sure this is not very common, my other two SR's didn't have this problem. I'm not going to bother returning it. I've had Rooney brushes showing the same thing - it's no biggie.

The important thing is this (and I can't say this about many other brushes I've tried): none of my Savile Rows have shed a single hair, which is how it should be. It's very reassuring.

I urge everyone to try a Savile Row brush, they really are exceptional value, and I believe you will get something very close to a Plisson at a fraction of the cost.

John

Completely agree on the Savile Row range, they are very good and I think quite underrated, My 3824 was and still is a good brush, but like you I find it is just too big and over time my taste has changed to a firmer brush. Mine has also never lost a hair that I noticed.

Good to see you are happy, list is $85 but I couldn't select anything other than US, how much was the shipping? I would seriously consider one, I have always been a fan of the SR brushes and I would like to try a smaller one particularly with shorter loft. Perhaps a future gift list item.

Back
Top Bottom