Saturday 31st October to Friday 6th November 2020.

Mon 2nd SE SOTD
Cream Saponificio Bignoli BlackBerry & Moss
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 6th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Really nice lather from the cream. Creamy, slick and pleasant scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was not that good today especially atg. It was skipping. Barely able to remove much stubbles after 3passes so did not push it. Satisfied with an issue free SAS. Time to replace the blade I suppose. Excellent post and aftershaves. Rating 8.5/10
20201102_111155.jpg
20201102_114545.jpg

View attachment 60810

Prep - facial wash
razor - Katana
blade - Med Prep (8)
brush - Semogue Owners's Club 2012 - mixed badger and boar
soap - De Vergulde Hand stick
post - witch hazel
a/s - RR Santa Maria Del Fiore
balm - De Vergulde Hand
scent - none.

The DVH soap seems to fly a bit below the radar here - plenty vocal fans of La Toja, Valobra, Lea and Palmolive sticks - all excellent products - I own them myself - I suspect that this might be because it is not that easily available in the UK - no such problems for me - my best mate's partner is Dutch - she gets them - there is a tub version, in addition to a menthol variant - for us when back home seeing the family in Leiden. Cheap as chips - the brand is a national institution - as Palmolive in Britain - La Toja to the Spanish - what everyone's grandfather used. Very much comparable to the likes of Lea, La Toja - it just works - with a minimum of expense and fuss - just paint it onto your bristles like a crayon - and then set about it with a well soaked or damp brush - wetter than you think - the sixth in the ingredient list is kaolin clay - thirsty, thirsty thirsty. That being said - that is why the slickness is so good. It doesn't smell of much - other than soap - but at the price point I wouldn't expect it too - if you need Peruvian balsam or Madagascan vanilla in the profile - look elsewhere. The matching balm - is incredibly thick - more like a full on moisturiser - having spent time in the Netherlands in winter - the wind rips down from the North or Baltic Sea - stripping the life out your skin - I can understand why they make it this way. I've just spent the last two days wandering about in a storm - and this stuff is the perfect top coat for winter. I love the Dutch landscape in the dead of winter - it might appear a bit oppressive - a leaden sky - that seems to pull down - with more gravity than normal - but in the foreground - there are always - the ever present strips of water - catching silver - in the low angled light. Bottom line - tulips, the best pickled herring I have ever eaten and - the only country in the world - I'm 6'4 - I'm not considered tall - well done the Dutch. An over elaborated description of a great shave - I wish the same to you all - yours - I.

Great description, will order some DVH...

Monday 2nd November
Yaqi Red Marble - OSP Bay Rum (original prototype) - GEM Damaskeene - GEM SSC #7 - Electrif's Bay Rum V2 - Aloe Vera Gel
lFaSIBG.jpg

Date:- 02 November 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Bruce Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Pumpkin Spice
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Brass 'SB-C' / Vintage Gillette US Spoiler #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (30 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

02/11/20
Pre: Whickams pre shave soap face wash
Brush: SBB 26mm Silvertip - Cocobolo
Soap: Palmolive stick / Maca Root Superlather
Razor: Focus R48 Dynamic
Blade: 1/2 Personna Med Prep (1)
Post shave: Cold water splash, L'oreal Ice Impact
Balm: Bart's Balm Bergamot and Vanilla Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Old Spice Original
3. Mon.JPG
Well that was definitely different!
I had watched a few videos on how to use the Focus SE as a lot of Ops have had issues with it, i was not expecting much from it.
I noticed every Vid had the Op covered in a very heavy thick lather and the razor seemed to struggle to get through the lather, leaving patchy streaks and putting lather back on the face when using short strokes.
1. Ensure lather is thinner and a little wetter than my normal lather.
There also seems to be an issue on how to best use the razor, the manufacturer advises to use pressure to the back of the head to allow the razor to tilt to the angle of your skin, seems fair enough. Apparently the incorrect way is to ride the Safety bar.
2. Try different things to best suit me.
Leaving a little a extra water in the brush the SBB 26mm produced a nice loose face lather, l did not work it into the face as much and just ensured i had a covering for the 1st pass.
After a little bit experimentation with pressure to the back of the razor i found that long steady strokes worked best, the razor was clearing stubble easily, however, there is no blade feel whatsoever, i also rinsed after every stroke. Around my chin and under the nose i found the best method was to ride the safety bar and use short strokes. No issues and the rinse water and removed soap was telling me everything was working.
This is a very mild razor and i can see Ops with a strong beard struggling with it.
I completed a full XTG pass and ATG pass using similar technique and ended up wth a DFS+ finish. I had enough Lather in the brush and my skin was still comfortable so i went for a 4th "buffing" fingertip search and destroy pass (i have never completed a 4th pass - ever). I finished with a very comfortable BBS finish.
I am pleasantly surprised at the results it has given considering its my 1st use, i am super smooth and my skin feels soft and comfortable.
I hope that with more use and familiarity i can get a better result.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Last edited:
2 November

PAA Solstice
PAA Peregrino synthetic
MÜHLE R41 and Ikon handle
Gillette Silver Blue
Bart's Balm Grapefruit and Pink Pepper

EAB42B9F-D3AB-41A8-B06C-B54A827E953C.jpeg

An unusual before dinner two pass shave with the R41. A super smooth face was the result. The PAA soaps that I have used are excellent, and this PAA brush whips them up a treat.

Back
Top Bottom