Saturday 17th - Friday 23rd December 2022

Lothur Dave
Razorock 400
Razorock gamechanger jaws
Perma sharp
Dendi pure aftershave
IMG_20221218_100834-01.jpeg

After yesterday's shaving with R41 I'm continuing open comb weekend. This time it was Jaws paired with perma sharp. Smoothest shave with Jaws so far. Compared to R41 it's much smoother while providing pretty much same result.

Almost a repeat of yesterday's. Swapped the brush out while the 400 dries.
Wickham Gothic Revival soap, splash and balm. Omega Ovangkol boar.
'64 Slim on #5, Gillette 7 o'clock SP Black (#5)
Oud Sahara oil to the pulse points.

This blade gave me 5 good runs, the first being the harshest as it's pretty sharp out of the wrap (first time I have tried the black 7am blade). Yesterday's shave actually could have lasted me into today but we do this for the enjoyment right? I bumped the Slim up to #5 to catch the minimal stubble since yesterday and am now as smooth as black ice with not a weeper in sight. Well buffed and well chuffed. A peaceful Sunday to you all.
20221218_092058.jpg

18/12/22
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - AP400B Slim Brass 20mm Gelousy Bulb
Soap - OSP No. 08
Razor - Blackland Brass/SS-bird
Blade - Personna Med Prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Cedarwood and Patchouli Argan Oil and Balm
A/S - OSP No.08
Wk 51 (2).JPG
1st run out for the AP4 2band badger Gelousy brush. This solid brass handle is very weighty, it also holds the heat well from its warm water soak. The knot itself was shaken till just damp then loaded. It feels so soft on the face, medium backbone, no scritch at all, using just the tips the brush whipped and held enough slick, thick lather for 3 passes, not that i need that much these days.
I decided to switch things around with the Brassbird and fitted the Stainless base plate, why? why not? Fitted with the Med prep it has just given me a wonderful, comfortable BBS finish from 2 passes. Feeling really nice throughout the shave.
A nice post shave finishing a great bit of sink time.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

SOTD: 18/12/2022 (let’s try posting in the correct week this time).

Razor: Razorock Hawk V3
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink SE, 3rd use
Brush: Semogue 1305
Bowl: Captains Choice Heavyweight Copper Bowl
Soap: Barrister And Mann Spice Croap
Aftershave: Barrister And Mann Spice Aftershave
Additional Care: Shave Tunes Courtesy Of An Easy Sunday Classical Playlist
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Not Too Bad At All

So this is the one I have been waiting for from my latest delivery. My all time favourite smell is Old Spice. Barrister and Mann Spice is the soap today. A subtle smell from the tub. A bit easier to lather than the HAGS yesterday. The smell explodes as you lather.

The splash is lovely as well. Different but definitely a keeper. I think my next Old Spice purchase will be some vintage splash and soap. So far this setup is the most authentic I have found.

The Semogue brush is still being broken in but I can see it will be a firm favourite.

As I suspected the Hawk V3 gave a fantastic shave but I am still in the Vector honeymoon period, there is nothing quite like it overall it's still my number one.

045FC93F-31F2-495C-80A4-C60B68B430E9.jpeg

E21DD853-3F7F-4C60-831F-BAED284B530B.jpeg
SOTD: 18/12/2022

Razor: Tatara Masamune
Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated, 3rd use
Brush: AP Shave Co. Lemon Drop G5A
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C Unscented Puck
Aftershave: Yaqi The Green Aftershave
Scent Oil: HC&C Tattoo Flash

A great shave, the base didn’t disappoint, the scent is based on Ed Hardy’s EDT. I’ve no idea how accurate it is but from the first smell out the box I loved it, today however I’m so bunged up I’ve no idea what it smelt like! A smooth and mild just how I like it. Enjoy your weekend guys.

18 December
Big Ben day, the razor not the famous clock. Could not find a great deal of history on this one but by all accounts it’s probably made by Souplex, a UK company that made razors and blades from at least 1932 to 1948. Brand names used by Souplex probably included BigBen, Paragon, and Double Six. They also made shaving products for women under the Nymph label. Razors were very much Gillette in looks and were mostly sold in Bakelite cases.
I decided to use a Gillette Silver Blue blade, I was trying to assess its life span and this was its 7th use. It was just ok but I’ve binned it as it was clearly end of life. The razor is excellent for its age (30s, 40s?) looking hardly used but with a heavy chrome finish on brass may not surprising, although I suspect it’s been a cupboard queen for most of its life. It has good weight and feel with, to me, a mild blade gap. La Toja soap applied easily and creamily with my Ever Ready synthetic re knot.
Managed 3 passes and picks ups for a just acceptable Sunday shave, Alum block rub and splash on Puros after shave and ready for the WC final.
Have a great Sunday fellas!

E70496C2-5BD0-44A9-A23C-99626A44D017.jpeg

SOTD 18-Dec
20221217_144533.jpg
Brush: Blackland Signature
Soap: A&E Revolution
Razor: Schick Injector No Idea
Blade: Proline B-20 (1)

I've decided to give the injector route another try. I've had this one rattling around for a little while. I'm not sure what the type is, other than the spring is locked in place (or at least appears to be), so it might be an E3 or a G1. That is from limited reading so I might be talking rubbish. The first pass was underwhelming, a lot left to mow down but the second ATG pass was much more effective. Not quite to the levels I'm used to but not bad.

I'll give it a good few more tries but I will start hunting down an E2 or a Pal Injectomatic to give something else a try, and from what I've read at least the E2 is supposed to be a little more efficient and the general consensus on both seems to be fairly positive. We'll see how I get on.

Hope everyone has had a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Back
Top Bottom