Saponificio Varesino 1945 70th Anniversary Shaving Soap

My thoughts on this:

Italian soaps are well established in the shaving market with many having been around a long time, the only differences with this one were the vegetable-based formula and lack of almonds.

This version is more expensive than the others soaps in their line-up, but I suspect (that's) more to do with the packaging. They're comfortably middle-of-the-road on pricing. So not bad bang for your buck.

Performance was generally pretty good, even though I loaded off some ridiculously small shavings. I was assuming I'd have to use more of my sample at some stage but ended up having some left.

Lather was never an issue and I was always able to build a good coating. Slickness never blew me away and the feeling it left after the shave was hot and cold. In fact, that goes for the whole experience. While I had some good shaves, they were evened out by some mediocre ones.

I was also left with a lot of residue after a couple of the shaves. I'm not sure what the cause of this was. On other shaves it was fine. It was so bad after the first shave I was considering not using it again.

This probably wasn't a fair test of the fragrance, which was quite pleasant, but never very strong (sticking my nose in the packet, it's probably stronger than most other soaps I've tried). What I could smell didn't drive me nuts though.

I'd like to try other SV products, but I wasn't as enamored with this as some are. It did the job pretty well, but no better than a lot of cheaper products.

Full review here.

Back
Top Bottom