Same brand, different scent... does it really mean different performance?

Ever since getting into DE shaving I've been really confused by reviews of shaving creams.

People argue that, for example, the TOBS avocado cream is more moisturising than the TOBS lavender, or the GFT rose lathers better than the same brand's violet. I'm wondering if this isn't just "the narcissism of small differences". After all, doesn't each brand use pretty much the same ingredients across each cream in its line, apart from the fragrance? I get that impression from my (admittedly small) collection of TOBS creams. And what conceivable impact could fragrance ingredients, which are generally present in small quantities and only there to impart a scent, have on the lathering or other properties of a cream?

Anyone else think that these perceived differences are just examples of… well, false perception?

Good question... much easier to decide which brand you prefer then choose a smell to suit. I've started off with TOBS Sandalwood cream, but was hugely impressed by the lathering and creaminess from a Trumpers Rose sample. Quite fancy buying some Trumpers cream now, but the thought that different smells make a difference to the shave is a bit mind-boggling.

I don't buy it either. I've used nearly all the TOBS range now, most of GFT and a few of T&H and there is no noticeable difference in performance within the ranges.

There are differences in all the creams both in the ingredients and in the ratios used. I tend to use creams mostly and have around 15 different ones which I rotate, from some high end ones to the everydays, and there certainly is quite a difference in the qualities of each. The scents don't interest me too much as these disappear fairly quickly anyway, but some, like the Castle Forbes, L'Occitanes and T&Hs, lather quickly to a creamy consistency, hold the lather for some time and leave the face smooth and slippery. Others, although lathering well, make the skin dry between shaving strokes. Some need more product than others to give an effective quantity of lather. There is even variation between the effectiveness of creams from the same manufacturer. The chemicals used in colouring (e.g Rose,Violet) and in scenting the product can effect the lathering process. Sometimes this is hard to judge until you attain a set lathering technique which is reproduceable each time you shave.

My guess would be that other variables have a greater impact on the lather - one's mood, wrist action, cleanliness of all the equipment used (hardness salts/scum will kill a lather dead)esp. the brush, has SWMBO left oils or moisturiser about, de dah. Water temp would affect it, I'd guess.

Back
Top Bottom