Greetings

Wednesday 15th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Pearl OC
Blade: Rapira (pink & blue packet)
Brush: Semogue OC Boar
Soap: GZD Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: Astral cream (light)

I thought it was about time I started using some of my DE razors as I have several, so I have decided to have at least one DE shave every week. This was a really nice one.

Regards
Dick.
DSC04311.JPG

Morning

Hot shower prep, Musgo lime soap
Proraso Green Pre
Ingrams (Cream of week)
Gillette Super Adjustable (R3)
Personna Lab Blue (4)
Vulfix 404
Proraso Green Post
Aqua Di Gio Ezzenza EdT

These blades are amazing! Where others tail of after 2-3 shaves they seem to give a constant sharpness. I think there my new favourite blade.

Wednesday xv May, 2013

Prep: Hot shower, peppermint and eucalyptus facial soap
Brush: Grosvenor 404 Boar/badger Bodger
Soap: Jabonman Neroli - Mint - Grapefruit
Razor: Ikon 2PB
Blade: Polsilver #3
ASL: Knize Ten

Result: The Jabonman is a fine soap indeed, lovely and creamy with a wonderful scent and feeling on the skin. Shave was lovely and smooth with a fine finish from the Knize.

All the best, gents.

Jon

This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8", in UKRob rosewood scales
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3 in Best
Soap: D R Harris Marlborough

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
1971 Black Beauty/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Neutrogena oil free moisture
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT' (old black bottle)

Figured I'd try this new to me razor, just to make sure it shaves right. First tried it with a vintage Wilkinson that I unwrapped and oooops, one side of the razor is rougher than the other. Well hell. The blade pack hadn't been used before and after switching to an Iridium the shave went great. Whew, what a relief the problem wasn't with this nice looking old Gillette, but turned out to only be a duff blade instead.

BBS results,

Martin

Prep face wash L'Occitane cedarwood soap
Razor Taylors 3000 special 6/8
Strop Kanayama cordovan #8000
Brush Simpsons chubby 1 in super
Cella creme da barba
Alum & witch hazel
Una Brennan neroli moisturiser
Penhaligons castile Edt

This razor as always been one of the smoothest of shavers, two pass shave ultra smooth finish.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Clinique Face Scrub
Soap: Ingram (soap of the week)
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal #2
Brush: Muhle 'HJM' Synthetic
Razor: Progress @2.5
Blade: Rapira Stainless (1)
After: Alum, Superdrug Sierra Breeze AS, Coral Skin Food, Davidoff Coolwater ASB

Ingram Week Day 3

Returned back to Woodhead's bowl and found it much easier to lather with its ridges. Once again lashing of lather made for an easy job.
The Progress is back in rotation giving super smooth results again. Tiny weeper from being over zealous around the corners of my mouth (a tricky area for me), but stopped with alum.
Result: Return to BBS goodness.

Ingram
Vulfix Bodger
EJDE89L, Polsilver SI
Barbershop Bay Rum
RSC balm

Excellent shave. I don't find these blades as good as you'd expect in my New, but they shave wonderfully in the EJ. I had been thinking of moving the EJ on, having got so fond of the New. Hmm, that'd be silly when it can deliver shaves like this.

Wednesday

A very BAD experience today

Gillette face wash
Proraso pre
TOBS avacado
New forest 1901
Merkur progress set to 3.5
Flying Eagle blade then Gillette yellow
Witch hazel
Nivea balm

His shave started well, good lather on the brush and then on the face started to shave and then........nothing. This razor didnt work! It worked yesterday but the blade was new to me, sme Flying Eagle blades I purchased from ebay, they look OK, in fact they looked really good.... But they didn't work, they didnt touch my hairs at all, didnt cut jus tugged. Did a whole pass which felt like I hadn't started. I swapped to the Yellow and finished and the end result was ok but I think the FE blades must be the problem.

When I have time later I will investigate, I sent some of these blades to Grunter so will be note rested to hear if he has used them yet?

Simon

Re: RE: S.O.T.D. Saturday 11th May to Friday 17th May 2013

Scswalex said:
His (sic) shave started well, good lather on the brush and then on the face started to shave and then........nothing. This razor didnt work! It worked yesterday but the blade was new to me, sme Flying Eagle blades I purchased from ebay, they look OK, in fact they looked really good.... But they didn't work, they didnt touch my hairs at all, didnt cut jus tugged. Did a whole pass which felt like I hadn't started. I swapped to the Yellow and finished and the end result was ok but I think the FE blades must be the problem.

When I have time later I will investigate, I sent some of these blades to Grunter so will be note rested to hear if he has used them yet?

Simon

For what it's worth I find them initially tuggy but they settle down on the second pass and are pretty good

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Razor: Gillette Bostonian
Blade: Gillette SuperThin
A/S: TOBS Jermyn Street
Cologne: TOBS Jermyn Street

I haven't had a Jermyn Street shave for a few weeks, very pleasant :)

Scswalex said:
Wednesday

A very BAD experience today

Gillette face wash
Proraso pre
TOBS avacado
New forest 1901
Merkur progress set to 3.5
Flying Eagle blade then Gillette yellow
Witch hazel
Nivea balm

His shave started well, good lather on the brush and then on the face started to shave and then........nothing. This razor didnt work! It worked yesterday but the blade was new to me, sme Flying Eagle blades I purchased from ebay, they look OK, in fact they looked really good.... But they didn't work, they didnt touch my hairs at all, didnt cut jus tugged. Did a whole pass which felt like I hadn't started. I swapped to the Yellow and finished and the end result was ok but I think the FE blades must be the problem.

Simon

After Simon's comments I dug out my FE's and brought my shave forward.
Same procedure as always hot water splash at the sink,MWF,HD Rocket.
First cheek-Lots of tugging,almost painful and not much whisker removal.In denial of what I just experienced tried the other cheek with the same result.
They made the Wilkie's Laser's I tried recently feel ultra sharp.
Quickly switched to the Rapira Swedish Supersteel which was on its 5th shave and my face felt like it was massaged by Hummingbird wings as it effortlessly completed the shave.
Noted NTS comments above but I really could not have pain/tugging sensation until 2nd pass. I can't imangine how they would have felt on the neck!
On the plus side I have tried a blade That I didn't have thanks to Simon:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom