S.O.T.D. Saturday 11th March to Friday 17th March 2017

The first shave was okay. It needs to open up a bit, right now it's not as soft and "big" as my other Romeras. I'll know more in a couple of shaves. The black stain continues to run slightly. I have to say that it would be much much better if Gustavo could figure out how to make the black section color fast.

Cheers for getting back to me. Fingers crossed mine shows up soon.

Evening Gents,

Prep: Hot shower with L'Oreal charcoal face wash
Razor: Hone 15
Razor blade: Polsilver (2)
Brush: Simpsons Manchurian Captain 2
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Wickhams Irish Fern
Post: Thayers witch hazel and Dove sensitive aftershave balm.

Third outing for the Hone on loan from @Lann . I went back to the Polsilver blade. A good shave, smooth and irritation free.
I'm getting used to the weight. In fact it wasn't an issue this time around. Unfortunately it's too mild for me.

The soap performed very well, enough cushion and slickness. The scent was great. In the tub it smells the same as Eufros Fougere but once lathered up it changes and smells very similar to PAA CaD.
I found the lather to be quite foamy(?) but this was my first time using it so we will see how I get on in the future.

The Bowl worked a treat. I love it!

Tuesday 14th March 2017
SOTD 14 Mar.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower, Bulldog Face Wash and Proraso Red
Razor: Gillette Slim (6)
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (#3)
Brush: Hans Baier Silver Tip
Cream: Proraso Blue
AS: Nivea Originals Balm

Not been posting in SOTD as I was away in Madrid for a week, for both business and pleasure, I have been to Spain many times but had never been to Madrid before. I can highly recommend Madrid for a city break had great time, I was over for business but stayed for the weekend and my Wife joined me for the weekend as well. Picked up some La Toja and Lea items while I was there. I also got some fantastic shaves from Schick L1 loaded with a Japanese Schick blade while away.

Razor: Trac II
Blade: Col. Conk Trac II (4)
Brush: Brass handle w/ Black Badger?
Soap: Captain's Choice Sandalwood
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Sandalwood

The brush is not living up to my standards. Losing a lot of hair, now I can live with a brush being a little floppy, or a little prickly, but I can't stand a brush that loses hair.
Lots of Wild Turkey's in the yard today. High winds and lots of snow today.
14 03 17.jpg

81372a370393b6236789bff872cff535.jpg

DSC_0654_zpssa603vcc.jpg

DSC_0440_zpsk3k9bhfx.jpg

Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water prep & Massage with Argan Oil
French Special Monneret 6/8th
Mason Pearson Pure Badger
Wickham 1912 Vegetal Soap (Un Scented)
Humphreys Witch Hazel

A Smashing Shave this Morning with My French Special Monneret 6/8th..I Just Finished My French Special Monneret 6/8th on My Newly Acquired Surgical Black Arkansans Stone..My 2nd Pass Wasn't Needed But I Went for the Auld Guardsmen's Drill Boots Polished Finish on My Face..This Black Arkie Seems to Perform Much the Same as My Translucent Arkie..If there is Any Difference We are Probably Talkin Baw Hairs is All..o_O

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:D

Billy

image.jpg SOTD 15th March

Razor..Iwasaki Kamisori 50mm (freshly honed) by @pugh-the-special-one
Soap..OSP Bay Rum
Brush..Shavemac..two band silvertip
Post..Thayers lavender
A/S Extro BayRum

With thanks to Pugh the special one AKA Jamie, this
Kamisori shaved today like it has never had, I thought it was sharp before...no where near this sharp!

It gave me an fantastic shave helped along with the protective and slick OSP Bay Rum, finnished off with the Extro Bay Rum aftershave.
Perfect !

I shall write a full review in the straight edge section later today regarding having both my Kamisori honed and let you know about the man who honed them.

Have a great day everyone........:)

Last edited:
So, I mentioned in my report above, that today was a landmark for me... Well having used the Feather a couple of times over the last week and having seen how many Straight shaves get posted on the forum, I just couldn't resist giving it a go. I picked up my Le Grelot P.Hospital 5/8 today, stared lovingly at it and thought, bugger it, I'm going for it! I gave it 7/8 very light laps on canvas impregnated with 0.5 chromium oxide crayon. 30 laps on the SRD Modular Paddle rough leather and 30 on the smooth.

I then picked up my new MS brush (pictures of which have been posted in the MS/LS thread on ATG) and breaking my usual trend of lathering up with Wickhams 1912 Cashmere, I opted for the Le Bleu instead. A great brush and the full report is available in the aforementioned thread!

Anyway, back to the shave, first pass, starting on the cheeks, with some trepidation of course. Cheeks seem to be going fine, strong hand on the right side of my face, concentrating of course. Then, I feel the razor catch, nothing major but I know there will be some blood, low and behold a razor (ba-doom) thin line, around a third of the length of the blade starts to gently pool blood, feck it, I'm not ending the shave there. Weak hand, left side of the face, no issues. Strong hand, under the nose, no problem, under the lip and chin, still going fine! Right, screw this, I'm going for the neck, manage to do the whole thing without too much issue, aside from a couple of tiny weepers. During this time, I have a couple of beads of sweat rolling down the side of my head and have wiped the "cut" a couple of times. This has now stopped bleeding and just for fun, I've attached a pic of the cut at this stage of the shave. It's almost completely disappeared now an hour after the shave.

Well, after the relative success of the first pass, I have actually gained some confidence and for the first time in my life, go for a second pass. Without boring you all shitless, it went bloody well. I couldn't believe it, I finished a two pass shave with a straight and had absolutely no need to use the Schick E3 (Again from @Acer89) that I thought would be required for the second pass and I'm yet to use yet. I managed my entire face and neck, with a finish that is actually completely respectable and in places almost the same level of finish as I'd get from my best razors. Of course, there are a couple of patches that are rougher, namely under my jawline, but unbelievably (to me) under the nose and then chin area are absolutely fine, the place that is meant to be hardest to shave! I'm very proud of myself, as you can probably tell, but I can honestly see SR shaving becoming a much more regular occurrence in the months to come. I have zero irritation and despite those couple of little weepers and the "cut", none of these are now visible. Really chuffed, @Fergiebilly definitely can't say anything bad about your edge now :D ha.

img_20170312_165419-01-jpeg.9265
img_20170312_170917-01-jpeg.9266
Absolutely fascinating. What a great read

So, I mentioned in my report above, that today was a landmark for me... Well having used the Feather a couple of times over the last week and having seen how many Straight shaves get posted on the forum, I just couldn't resist giving it a go. I picked up my Le Grelot P.Hospital 5/8 today, stared lovingly at it and thought, bugger it, I'm going for it! I gave it 7/8 very light laps on canvas impregnated with 0.5 chromium oxide crayon. 30 laps on the SRD Modular Paddle rough leather and 30 on the smooth.

I then picked up my new MS brush (pictures of which have been posted in the MS/LS thread on ATG) and breaking my usual trend of lathering up with Wickhams 1912 Cashmere, I opted for the Le Bleu instead. A great brush and the full report is available in the aforementioned thread!

Anyway, back to the shave, first pass, starting on the cheeks, with some trepidation of course. Cheeks seem to be going fine, strong hand on the right side of my face, concentrating of course. Then, I feel the razor catch, nothing major but I know there will be some blood, low and behold a razor (ba-doom) thin line, around a third of the length of the blade starts to gently pool blood, feck it, I'm not ending the shave there. Weak hand, left side of the face, no issues. Strong hand, under the nose, no problem, under the lip and chin, still going fine! Right, screw this, I'm going for the neck, manage to do the whole thing without too much issue, aside from a couple of tiny weepers. During this time, I have a couple of beads of sweat rolling down the side of my head and have wiped the "cut" a couple of times. This has now stopped bleeding and just for fun, I've attached a pic of the cut at this stage of the shave. It's almost completely disappeared now an hour after the shave.

Well, after the relative success of the first pass, I have actually gained some confidence and for the first time in my life, go for a second pass. Without boring you all shitless, it went bloody well. I couldn't believe it, I finished a two pass shave with a straight and had absolutely no need to use the Schick E3 (Again from @Acer89) that I thought would be required for the second pass and I'm yet to use yet. I managed my entire face and neck, with a finish that is actually completely respectable and in places almost the same level of finish as I'd get from my best razors. Of course, there are a couple of patches that are rougher, namely under my jawline, but unbelievably (to me) under the nose and then chin area are absolutely fine, the place that is meant to be hardest to shave! I'm very proud of myself, as you can probably tell, but I can honestly see SR shaving becoming a much more regular occurrence in the months to come. I have zero irritation and despite those couple of little weepers and the "cut", none of these are now visible. Really chuffed, @Fergiebilly definitely can't say anything bad about your edge now :D ha.

img_20170312_165419-01-jpeg.9265
img_20170312_170917-01-jpeg.9266
Cracking stuff you absolute Looney! Good work. It's addictive, the amount of concentration you have to put into it all! :D I doubt I even need to shave really, considering I only tidy up my cheeks and neck, but I find it a pleasure having started with SRs.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your 'SOTD's to come! :D

Back
Top Bottom