RWC Sevens 2013

Any sevens fans out there, I think it's a brilliant game to watch, and the Rugby 7s world cup takes place in Russia this year at the end of June, I'm excited about the event as Wales are the current holders and world champions.
http://www.rwcsevens.com/home/about/index.html

Jamie

I have been watching the World Series stuff and thinks it's a brilliant format.

To my untrained eye, Sevens, 5-a-side Football and T20 all require a higher level of individual skill and a deeper understanding of tactics.

You are spot on Vinny in your observations, sevens certainly requires a much higher skill level than it's close cousin the 15 man game and the fitness levels are something else, It's a great game to introduce youngsters to, It really teaches young players spacial awareness a very good all round game improver.

Jamie

Are sevens players really more skilful or do they not just have more time and space to execute more skill making it a better spectacle to some?

antdad said:
Are sevens players really more skilful or do they not just have more time and space to execute more skill making it a better spectacle to some?

You echo my thoughts, Tony - though I'm certainly not questioning the fact that Sevens players are skillful. I haven't watched any Sevens on TV in years.

Tony I think if you looked at some of the international 7s players they do tend to have an higher skill level, as many of them just specialize and never seem to make it in the 15 man game, I always remember when Wigan rugby league team entered the Middlesex 7s in 1996 and put 82 points on Bath who at the time were one of the best teams in England, and Rugby league as always had more skillful ball handling players in both backs and forwards, even though the game was played under rugby union rules they still won the final, I would say with the onset of professional rugby union that wouldn't happen today because of the higher fitness levels and sports science and improved ball handling skills, Fiji are a prime example wonderful 7s players, but cannot cut the ice when it comes to 15 a side.

Jamie.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/c_R8H3E5yMA[/video]

pugh-the-special-one said:
You are spot on Vinny in your observations, sevens certainly requires a much higher skill level than it's close cousin the 15 man game and the fitness levels are something else, It's a great game to introduce youngsters to, It really teaches young players spacial awareness a very good all round game improver.

Jamie

i remember playing london district army 7s a few years back

3 group games, quarters, semis, and final all in one day

i was blowing.

the only reason we lost the final was as the we played the first semi we were stiff as boards for the final.

a great game.

with the influx of fijian soldiers in the army they have enhanced unit 15s teams but they excel at 7s

Could be wrong but I've always put the 'increased skill levels' down to youth, fitness, being younger, greater agility, relatively low average age, no pack bulldozers and the general exuberance of younger men wanting to do well.

Did I mention no creaky old bones and bodies because the players are young?

Tony I think if you looked at some of the international 7s players they do tend to have an higher skill level, as many of them just specialize and never seem to make it in the 15 man game, I always remember when Wigan rugby league team entered the Middlesex 7s in 1996 and put 82 points on Bath who at the time were one of the best teams in England, and Rugby league as always had more skillful ball handling players in both backs and forwards, even though the game was played under rugby union rules they still won the final, I would say with the onset of professional rugby union that wouldn't happen today because of the higher fitness levels and sports science and improved ball handling skills, Fiji are a prime example wonderful 7s players, but cannot cut the ice when it comes to 15 a side.

Jamie.

Well my point is that if they really do have a significantly higher skill level why do they rarely make it at full international 15 a side level?

Truth is sevens is nearer to league than union so I'm not surprised Wigan were successful but I think you might be referring to the two "clash of codes" games where Wigan trounced Bath playing league but won the return game when playing by Union rules and at a time when Union was amateur.

It's more of a different skill level, specific to 7's, allied to a different level of fitness and speed. I believe that the 7s squad out perform the elite 15s squad by a pretty large margin when it comes to the fitness tests. The cardiac fitness of the 7s squad will be immense, but they will all be carrying less bulk, and have more speed generally.

The thing I found when I played sevens was that when you look up you see a huge amount of empty space. The great 7s players no how to use that space to drag defenders out of position and the free up the runners.

Such a shame that the London Olympics was too soon for Rugby 7s - it is a brilliant sport for those sort of events. Rio will be brilliant.

Cheers,

Jon

Al H said:

Jamie

i was blowing.

the only reason we lost the final was as the we played the first semi we were stiff as boards for the final.

a great game.

with the influx of fijian soldiers in the army they have enhanced unit 15s teams but they excel at 7s

Fijians? tell me about it. I was with Royal Scots in Bosnia in 2002 and my local Rugby League team plays 'The Gunners' every year at the start of the season.

Sevens is great! I prefered playing it to 15s in my teens and early 20s but late 20s was too much for me. I wouldnt say it is more skilful, just a different skill set and much higher fitness levels. A tournement is very hard hard work. It is all about composure, dont panic, keep the ball at all costs, and take every chance when you get it. You have to be able to read the game well and know what is going on about you. I wouldnt say i was very good at it but i loved it, and being a winger at 15s that could do the hundred in just over 11 seconds i was quite often picked for our side, let the clever guys create the space and get the ball out to the speed merchants. The only thing i was really good at in sevens, apart from speed, was intercepting passes from the opposite team, i seemed to have a knack for reading them. It made life easy as by the the time you got the ball you were only a couple of steps away from full speed and already had a good head start. Man i miss it so much!

joe mcclaine said:
Al H said:

Jamie

i was blowing.

a great game.

Fijians? tell me about it. I was with Royal Scots in Bosnia in 2002 and my local Rugby League team plays 'The Gunners' every year at the start of the season.

I left Bosnia in sept 2002 it was a Scottish regiment that took over from us. Was recce pl in Banja Napa

Al H said:
I left Bosnia in sept 2002 it was a Scottish regiment that took over from us. Was recce pl in Banja Napa

I was a dog-handler in the Metal Factory from Oct 2002. You might have seen the big Rottweiler? That was my dog.

Some years ago, more than I care to remember, I played in the Hong Kong 10's, a precursor to the Seven's, taking place in the two days prior to the big event. There were, at a guess, a dozen ex-internationals also involved and, I would estimate about the same number of future internationals. For the ex-pat teams and those from the UK it was a social tournament, albeit one taken seriously, whereas to the NZ and Fijian team who entered it was seen as a passport to greater things.

I shall never forget walking past the dressing room of one finalist, a Fijian team, who were singing and playing guitar as their warm up. On the pitch it was the traditional huge hits and no-holds barred; off it was charm and softness.

Wonderful stuff.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom