Rugby League Challenge Cup Final

If the final matches up to both semi finals then you are in for a real treat I watched both on the Box two extremely entertaining games.
To be honest we are going as neutrals (as Wigan ain't in da house), so me and the Mrs are just hoping for a high-scoring bloodbath.

Next weekend we're at Cardiff for the Wales v Italy WC warm-up. Brains on standby :)

I fear Leeds will win it ... and by a large margin (I say fear Leeds will win as I am a ... you guessed it, Bulls fan!!)

I watched Leed score a few tries at the end of the game - and watched in amazement! What an utterly weird game it is! Scrums but not bending down and pushing. Standing up tackles and I've long known about not contesting the ball then - not natural. But each to their own - the Leeds fans were clearly having a wonderful time!

But why do League commentators shout into their mics instead of talking? Some Union commentators are bad enough - but church mice compared!

As this was the Final, am I correct in thinking League is a summer game? Very weird!

It's a Summer game now - that said the first couple of games of the season there's nothing warm about the weather.

I'm from St.Helens and was a regular spectator a few years ago but the play-off system brought in has killed it for me. There's far too many dead-rubbers towards the arse end of the season. I preferred it when finishing top of the pile meant you were champs but so long as the playoffs bring in the money then those days aren't coming back.

The final wasn't the best advert for the sport - The semis were good games but Leeds are looking pretty unstoppable at the moment and I reckon they'll win at Old Trafford as well this year.

It's a Summer game now - that said the first couple of games of the season there's nothing warm about the weather.

I'm from St.Helens and was a regular spectator a few years ago but the play-off system brought in has killed it for me. There's far too many dead-rubbers towards the arse end of the season. I preferred it when finishing top of the pile meant you were champs but so long as the playoffs bring in the money then those days aren't coming back.

The final wasn't the best advert for the sport - The semis were good games but Leeds are looking pretty unstoppable at the moment and I reckon they'll win at Old Trafford as well this year.
Old Trafford is an unnatural venue for Leeds to feel 'at home'. Hopefully the Rhinos can pretend they're back at Wembley / Headingley.

We have the same play-off 'problem' in Union - getting used to it by now but prefer the old way. They could combine the two endings with an extra cup - top of the league makes you Champion and then play-offs make the winner Supreme Champion, like in a dog show!

Another weirdness I don't understand about League. You've had your Final, so what happens at Old Trafford (which I thought was either a cricket or soccer field)? Not cricket, I guess - boots running all over their prized pitches!

There are some sports that just don't do it for me - especially on TV - Ice Hockey, Squash, Formula 1 and Rugby League amongst them. This is not snobbishness (as I never played either version of the game), but RU has so many more levels of complexity as a spectator sport. Now that there is a Premiership team within reasonable traveling time at Coventry, I'm thinking of taking a season ticket - already have a ticket for the game against Northants on 4th October. Even though the big names will be missing, it's a chance to see if the setting and atmosphere at the Ricoh arena are good.

That's the ticket, Rob - levels of complexity and the longest Law book in sport, forever being changed. A grey matter game with big blokes bashing seven bells out of each other - what could be a better spectacle?

I hope you thrash Saints!

That's the ticket, Rob - levels of complexity and the longest Law book in sport, forever being changed. A grey matter game with big blokes bashing seven bells out of each other - what could be a better spectacle?

I hope you thrash Saints!
Like Spartacus with a referee?

At my age Carl, I can't see me ever getting to a stage of claiming allegiance to what is in effect a concession team. However, post World Cup will see a return of some of the best players from all the major rugby playing countries - plus the chance of seeing major European games - and all for a reasonable outlay. I did consider taking a season ticket at Leicester when they first extended the ground - but access, parking and especially getting away after the game proved to put a damper on what was otherwise a good time.

We have the same play-off 'problem' in Union - getting used to it by now but prefer the old way. They could combine the two endings with an extra cup - top of the league makes you Champion and then play-offs make the winner Supreme Champion, like in a dog show!
Another weirdness I don't understand about League. You've had your Final, so what happens at Old Trafford (which I thought was either a cricket or soccer field)? Not cricket, I guess - boots running all over their prized pitches!

The Final that has already took place was the Challenge Cup Final - A knockout competition separate from the league featuring teams from all tiers of RL. The FA Cup of Rugby League I suppose.
The Final yet to come is the Super League Playoff Final which will decide who the league champions are. There's also another couple of play-off competitions under way to decide relegation and promotion to and from the 2nd tier but it's a money-driven convoluted mess.

And there are two Old Traffords - both in (or around) Manchester. The football ground gets used for Rugby League with it being the largest stadium within easy reach of the heartlands of RL and the other is a Cricket ground which seems to host a lot of music concerts.

As far as complex games featuring big blokes, grey matter and levels of complexity go then personally I'm keenly awaiting the new NFL season.

Back
Top Bottom