Rudolf Schmidt 205 "bambola" refurbishment

Here I have the last of my Cristmas presents (at least the last worth fixing) a Rudolf Schmidt 205 "bambola".

I gave it the usual treatment, with a light polish of the blade, trying to keep intact the etching (originally had to be on the whole blade, but was mostly faded) and in particular around the pin hole and the tang which were tarnished.

The unpinning was a nightmare, the pins were deformed and required some work to get them out without damaging the scales.

THe scales were slightly deformed around the inlay, I tried to rectify the problem using very hot water, but I manage just to straighten them a little , however the twisting does not effect the centering of the blade and it is really barely noticeable; I did notice there was a version of the 205 with 3 pins, I wonder if it was a way to avoid the twisting of the scales...

Anyway, polished, pinned with trusted washers , honed and tested... Happy, Happy indeed. For some reason I don't get, the stropping is simply a pleasure (the blade has a strange soothing ringing) which continues during the very smooth shave.

Here are a couple of pics

Before
attachment.php

and after
attachment.php

Attachments

• rudolf.jpg
    rudolf.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 62
  • rudolf refurb.jpg
    rudolf refurb.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 60