"Rover" Manchurian Badger

This is a Simpson I bought recently from a Forum member. He paid £215 for it. I paid £75 for it.

Rover-1.jpg

I was reluctant to pay the full price for an example of a Manchurian, but curious to discover its characteristics. So I was delighted when this turned up.

First, dimensions: 21.5 mm knot with a 48mm loft, handle height 45mm and diameter at base 37mm.

It's a beauty to look at, but I just love brushes. Although the shape seems prosaic, it's detailing gives it a unique character. Unusually, it doesn't bear the brand name - just Manchurian Badger on one side, and "Rover" on the other, etched in black.

As for the hair, when dry it feels quite smooth - less scritch than a typical two band, a little less soft than a Super/Silvertip. But as anyone with a collection of brushes knows, tips when dry are rarely an indication of face feel when wet.

This is a typically dense Simpson brush with a fan shape knot.

As to performance, it delivers what you would expect from a high end brush - easy to lather, excellent face feel both when painting on and face lathering. Just a tiny amount of scritchiness. Releases lather well - not a lather hog like some dense brushes.

All in all, another fine Simpsons brush. A match too for fine brushes from several other brands.

The Manchurian hair has been described by many as a cross between a Simpsons Super and a Simpsons Two Band. I'd agree with that.

The question most people ask is whether the premium paid for a Manchurian brush compared with other Simpsons grades is worth it. My Simpsons benchmark is my Duke 3 Best Badger. That has a 23mm knot and mine cost me £74. In terms of value, the Duke wins hands down. The Manchurian hair probably just has the edge but not remotely is it worth an additional £141.

But. I'm a collector. So I'm delighted to have been able to add another Simpson brush to my stable that looks and feels a bit different and for a reasonable price.

I need to get my eyes tested, I thought you were talking about 'Mancunian Badger'. Wnder what sort of shave that beast would give!

I imagine that many of us will never get the opportunity to own what is something of a rarity so thanks for the insight you've given us. The butterscotch finish would be prized by many collectors. Enjoy using it!

Back
Top Bottom