Rolls Razor Strop Dressing

... more bakelite pots of vintage gear from the Rolls Razor stable.

DSC05648.JPG

DSC05650.JPG

DSC05651.JPG
DSC05653.JPG

DSC05654.JPG

DSC05655.JPG
DSC05656.JPG

DSC05657.JPG

DSC05659.JPG

Very nice.

What's the deal with the RR? Over the weekend I picked up a couple for silly cheap prices (e.g. £5.00 incl P&P for a RR and a Valet VC3). Will a decent blade come up shaveable using the hone mechanism, as a general rule, if the blade is in OK shape? Interested to get your experience of this iconic tool.

JOn

Yes, assuming you have a clean, rust-free and un-nicked blade, wet the hone and gently hone it. Try to avoid a slapping action which will inevitably occur - you can crack the hone. After, get a little oil into the strop to bring that back up to life and strop the blade. At a push, a moisturiser will do - leather is just dry skin. Strop the blade ... lots. This is where the slapping action will come in.

... and shave with it. See how you go.

pjgh said:
Yes, assuming you have a clean, rust-free and un-nicked blade, wet the hone and gently hone it. Try to avoid a slapping action which will inevitably occur - you can crack the hone. After, get a little oil into the strop to bring that back up to life and strop the blade. At a push, a moisturiser will do - leather is just dry skin. Strop the blade ... lots. This is where the slapping action will come in.

... and shave with it. See how you go.

Thanks for the information. I now have the razor and it is in fine condition. The only issue is that (and I am making a presumption here) the handle will not loosen and therefore will not fit to the blade. Did you have any similar issues?

**UPDATE** - Ignore I think this is an older one piece handle. Doh!!

Cheers

Jon

Back
Top Bottom