Roga 325 Gebr. Korten & Scherf Refurbishment

Here I have another of my "Christmas " presents ready for a new life after spending several years (decades) forgotten in a drawer.

The scales seem to be in thin Horn, the wedge is plastic.

the blade is very thick and heavy and the tang is thicker than the spine which complicates a little the things when honing as there is some interfereance specially when using a "X" pattern.

The Blade had very little rust, and it required very little work.

The grind marks are substantially deap as well as the etching "Acciao Extra Primissimo garantito 5 anni" (which means Extra premium steel guaranteed 5 years) and the little polishing done barely touched them...

the scales received a light polish and were fitted using very thin trust washers around the tang; I like using the trust washers, ususlly I make tghem using tha 10BA washers that are hammeres as thin as they can get.

The pinning was done using 1.5mm brass washers which have a bigger outside diameter than the commonly used 10BA washers; the reason for using a bigger washer was only because the scales are very thin and were showing signs of cracking around the pin domes therefore with a bigger washer relieves the pressure around the holes.

Honing it was a sort of a nightmare , it had a very uneven edge and took ages to hone; my perception is that the steel is MUCH harder than other razors I honed.

I put in practice all the advice given by the honemeisters participating to this forum and managed to get an acceptable edge; I believe it not to be perfect (still not straight...) unfortunately thst was the best i could get

Well.... I thought it was acceptable, then this morning I did test it with a half face shave (the other half was "booked" for another razor) and I was extremely impressed with how smooth and pleasent the shave was and it took only few laps on the strop to get as sharp as anything I honed and prepared uptodate; I was, I am extremely pleased and honestly...I do not care if the edge is "twisted"....

The shape of the blade seems perfect to go around my Van dyke style beard.

here are some pictures, as usual any comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Before
attachment.php

and after
attachment.php

Attachments

• roga refurb.jpg
    roga refurb.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 62
  • roga.jpg
    roga.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 63
Another nice restore Angelix. My only comment is that the oversize washers look a bit too big compared to the peening - I usually use a smaller washer in addition so that you get a stacked effect.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I would second what Rob said, nice restore but you should have used a smaller washer.

Jamie

I sort of like the way it looks, reminds me of something forged with leftovers in an old workshop , however I agree with you both, it would have been slicker with smaller washers or,better, with a double washer.

I am having lots of fun playing 1ith these toys, I will for sure make some different washers for this specific razor.

Back
Top Bottom