Rocnel SE review(s)

Greetings
Thank you for a very in depth review, hugely informative. It would seem that I owe Rocnel an apology I said about the price that if it seemed too good to be true than it probably wasn't true, clearly I was wrong and I unreservedly withdraw that remark.

I also said the concept of using a saloon blade in a SE razor was flawed, my thoughts were that it would not be rigid enough and there would almost certainly be some blade chatter as there is no topcap applying tension to the blade as in a DE, it would appear the curvature in the blade cut out has solved this problem so it seems I was wrong on both counts and I am happy to admit being so!

Regards
Dick (dining on humble pie in Norfolk)

I don't blame you on the blade-holding aspect. I've shaved with it twice now and the blade is rock-solid in there during the shave...but slides out easily when you want to remove it. My first guess was magic..but it might just be engineering.

SHAVE REPORT # 2

Was childishly excited to again shave with the Rocnel SE this morning.
I swapped out the handle and went with the smooth one. I really do like how it looks and feels. If you have a Pils 101 - it's basically that but heavier and shorter.

However, this morning did raise the first real challenge with the razor: re-loading the blade that I removed yesterday (so it has no tabs on it anymore).
I watched @ckeskin 's Turkish video below how he reloads the razor and I could do the same without any problem. The issue comes with sliding the blade in far enough into the slot so that it sits safely there.

I literally tried getting it to that position 5-6 times w/ increasing risks of cutting myself until I finally gave up. Tossed the used blade and grabbed the other half (which of course still have its tabs on it). It loaded in a second.

So, for me (and I can't stress enough that this is probably one of those subjective things) I will either;
a) Leave the same blade half in there for 2-3 shaves then remove and replace, or
b) Just use it for one shave. Toss and replace. Since you only use half a blade a time you'll still get two shaves/blade.

Anywho, lathered up (NF brush and some T&H soap (I am after all 12.7% British) and started shaving.

First pass - WTG
The smooth handle proved to not cause any issues at all as far as feeling slippery goes. I rather liked it.
Knurled: Rugged, utilitarian, secure. The Volvo you know will get you there safely.
Smooth: Sophisticated, clean. The Jetta your wife bought. Looks nice but there is a chance it might mess up.

Great first shave...until [ouch!].
Remember those tabs you break off at the end of the blade? Well..they are not 100% cleanly broken off..there are small jaggedy pieces peeking through the end of the razor;
2aadj41.jpg

and as I shaved next to my ear that little piece bit my ear and drew some blood.

Now there are, as far as I can come up with three possible solutions for that;
1) Be more careful around your ear/nose (this is obviously not an issue when you shave the rest of your face if you hold the razor properly),
2) Figure out if there are some blades that breaks off with no jagged edges (anyone want to go through their razor blade collection and break of one each? :D),
3) Clean up the edge after you break the tabs off (that sounds like a lot of work though), and/or
4) Buy/make a small end-cap that will pop on the razor to protect my big ear and nose (hey it IS an option...).

I'm especially curious about #2 and might sit down and break some blades this weekend to see which ones are Rocnel recommended ones.

I continued the shave and it was a very, very good one. Easy to clean under my nose and the rest of the pass went without any incidents and was very pleasant.

Second pass - ATG
I applied 'option 1' above and had no issues w/ the second pass. I did more and more realize that the head is just a little bit too mild for me. I can't wait for a bit more aggressive head to come out. :) I ended with a very clean and smooth face. It's now six-seven hours later and my face is still smooth.

I really do enjoy this razor.

2hp87pu.jpg

Some key take-aways in a very geeky way;
33vc2so.jpg

Why must you make things so complicated mate. Every DE razor I own the blade protrudes from the ends of the head. I've never snapped the ends off and never heard of anyone else doing it either. Why do it with this one?

Also can you confirm the weight by weighing it please. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it was going to be 80 odd grams but it is now around 120 grams?

Why must you make things so complicated mate. Every DE razor I own the blade protrudes from the ends of the head. I've never snapped the ends off and never heard of anyone else doing it either. Why do it with this one?

Also can you confirm the weight by weighing it please. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it was going to be 80 odd grams but it is now around 120 grams?

Wait what?
Are you seriously telling me that you would shave with this razor without snapping off the tabs - and are you telling that "every DE razor" that you own have this design?
20zvfc4.jpg

None of my razors have that design obviously but the ends of the blade overhang the head.
I've shaved with 100+ razors and can't ever remember having a concern about the edges sticking out - nor being cut in that way before.
Yet, this one did cut my ear. If it was a coincidence or if there is something about the way it protrudes I guess I can't honestly call yet. But now you've made me curious about what - if anything - is different.
Tell me some common razors where the tabs stick out and I will check them out this weekend and see if I can see why this one feels different.
Thanks!

Have a good look then because it's not unusual. The difference with the Rocknel is the head is narrower so the ends stick out more. Unless I misunderstood your post though you cut yourself because you broke the ends off leaving jaggy bits exposed.

Hey I haven't used the damn thing. If it can't be used without snapping off the ends and filing the blade smooth then it's a duffer eh? Another thing I notice from your last pic is the corners of the cutting edge are exposed because the edge is actually longer than the head. How's that working for ya??? I ask because the big danger with a shavette is those square corners on the blade which just love to dig into flesh.

See my earlier post.

There are other razors where the tabs stick out, but not as much.

As in the EJ89 and Blackland.

Thanks, I'll check it out as I do have both.

Anyway, all I can do is report as honestly as I can on what I, obviously subjectively, feel and experience - and the above were my impressions.
It does not mean I don't like the razor - quite the contrary I really like it but I also want to be honest and call out any challenges that I experience.

Another thing I notice from your last pic is the corners of the cutting edge are exposed because the edge is actually longer than the head. How's that working for ya??? I ask because the big danger with a shavette is those square corners on the blade which just love to dig into flesh.

Great question and surprisingly that has not been an issue at all - it might even have helped when doing very tiny clean up strokes right under my nose as you can get very precise with it.
This design is sort of the anti-Wilkison Flip-Top where the corners are not exposed at all and that particular razor is, to me, a very inefficient one.

Another thing I notice from your last pic is the corners of the cutting edge are exposed because the edge is actually longer than the head. How's that working for ya??? I ask because the big danger with a shavette is those square corners on the blade which just love to dig into flesh.

You might actually be onto something here.
If you look at the pictures below the piece - on both sides - that sticks out the most is the actual front part/cutting edge.
Could it be that it wasn't the 'tab leftovers' that cut me but rather that part?
Hm...

33as2uq.jpg

2aadj41.jpg

If you look at the pictures below the piece - on both sides - that sticks out the most is the actual front part/cutting edge.
Could it be that it wasn't the 'tab leftovers' that cut me but rather that part?
Hm...

33as2uq.jpg

2aadj41.jpg
Yeah..That Rough Bit there Looks Decidedly Dangerous..That's One for Folks to Look out for..That's the Good thing about these Shave Reports..:)

Billy

Hm...

33as2uq.jpg

2aadj41.jpg

Looking at the pics those corners certainly look more like the culprit than that tiny wee jagged bit. Seems to me the head should be a tad wider. It could also be a lot lighter if there was less depth to the head. The weight alone puts me off. If it's 130 grams I'm out. Not everyone wants such a heavy razor.

I find the design intriguing and as the protruding blade is not a hidden surprise effect I am ok with it but not sure why, way to heavy?, they did not make head a bit wider to cover the sharp cutting edge just leaving a part of the blunt blade sticking out, no need to trim!, for loading and unloading purposes. Or maybe the protruding cutting edge is a design feature meant as a bonus good for close nose area touch up?

Last edited:
I'm not at all sure I can see how the jaggy bits could have cut you without the cutting edge corner having sliced your ear first. Those exposed corners will bar watching around ears and nose!

Great reviews, thanks, Db.

Back
Top Bottom