River cottage canteen axminster

Hi has anyone been to this and if so can you just pop in weekdays,also is it expensive.. :D cheers Slash

Just found the menu on there site with prices :oops:

I've seen worse, but I haven't paid for it. I guess it depends on how that £1 a slice of toast and jam is served, and whether it's real butter (salted for me deffo), and what the bread is like and of course the jam.
Certainly more than I pay - but many will pay more. Like I say, it depends so much on the service, ambiance....and those eggs being cooked just how you like them.
I could make it myself at home.... :lol:

I was expecting worse tbh Slash, I reckon you've spent more on bad meat and given it to the dogs.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rivercottage.net/canteens/axminster/axminster-menus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rivercottage.net/canteens/ax ... ter-menus/</a><!-- m -->

It's not unreasonable assuming the grub is good and the whole experience of eating there is enjoyable. £3.50 for two eggs seems rather a steep mark-up though! :lol:

antdad said:
Do you guys eat out much? You'll be lucky to get a Cappuccino or a bottle of water for less than that.

Not sure about the price of food where you live antdad, but £4.50 for egg on toast or 10 quid for a burger seems excessive to me

Doesn't seem bad pricing to me, the cheapest things will also allow for the fact that when you are in there having egg on toast someone else can't be sat there ordering sirloin steak which as the dearest thing at £16 is no more expensive than most pubs round here.

Jeltz said:
Doesn't seem bad pricing to me, the cheapest things will also allow for the fact that when you are in there having egg on toast someone else can't be sat there ordering sirloin steak which as the dearest thing at £16 is no more expensive than most pubs round here.

Yeah it's not too bad, and I assume that it is a pleasant place to dine anyway. You don't just pay for the food, it's the ambulance :? of the place that counts for a lot. :D

and it hasn't really got anything to do with where I live but what I expect to pay. Sure, egg on toast or a burger at the local cafe isn't going to be as much but I'm assuming they are offering something else, be it quality of ingredients, setting, service etc.

Those are bistro/gastro pub prices and besides the 10-20% for the River Cottage effect there isn't anything too outrageous that I can see.

Well im far from flush but dont mind paying more if its good quality food and good service,went out for a meal friday with better half and it was probably the best food ive ever eaten out,place called the hungry fox inn at beal nr pontefract,expensive but bloody good :hungrig

slash said:
Well im far from flush but dont mind paying more if its good quality food and good service,went out for a meal friday with better half and it was probably the best food ive ever eaten out,place called the hungry fox inn at beal nr pontefract,expensive but bloody good :hungrig

That's great, but have you been to the River Cottage Canteen yet? I now want to know if it's good or not. :hungrig

HWMOM's birthday is coming up, and I was just thinking maybe I could try it out for Y'ALL.......when I realised that's in Fido's neck of the woods - eh. forset. Several hour's drive from here, and that's before I get lost......

soapalchemist said:
HWMOM's birthday is coming up, and I was just thinking maybe I could try it out for Y'ALL.......when I realised that's in Fido's neck of the woods - eh. forset. Several hour's drive from here, and that's before I get lost......

Yeah but you could ask Fido to give you a room for the night. You might have to share the bed with some bells and a couple of errant Plissons but I bet Mrs Fido cooks a wicked fried breakfast! :p

Wont be there till October im afraid,yearly 2 week break in weymouth :D Love it.Just waiting to win lottery then Dorset for me..

Back
Top Bottom