Ridiculous FatBoy on Ebay

Claims to be NOS

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-Gillette-Fat-Boy-Safety-Razor-NOS-Perfect-/180612723184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-Gillette-Fat-B ... 0612723184</a><!-- m -->

Have a look @ the last pic!

Some muppet has bid $250!

/Edit

Looks like he's recycling pictures too

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=180608060795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0608060795</a><!-- m -->

Hiya,

Not to derail this thread too much, but I saw an odd thing on ebay the other day. The item being sold was a fatboy replated in rhodium. Looked to be in nice shape, and it sold for just over $200.

Now what exactly is up with that?

Martin

The laws of supply and demand.

Any item is only worth what the market is prepared to pay for it.
Why does a one bedroom flat in the heart of London go for hundreds of thousands whereas the same flat in the heart of Preston can be had for the price of a Volvo XC90? Simple, lots of people chasing too few places to live in London, whereas Preston is the armpit of the North and no one really wants to live in Crystal House (over the old HMV shop).

Same with Razors - the Fatboy is considered the holy grail to some shavers and commands a premium, more so because they are no longer made and demand often outstrips supply for a nice example - a nicely restored one plated in Rhododendron would be a good usable every day shaver - an original NOS one possibly wouldnt as it would be considered by many too good / unique to use and spoil. That said I adopt the premise of use it, enjoy it, restore it, hand it on as things are made to be used and enjoyed. When it breaks have it restored, then use it some more.

Would I pay £200 for a Fatboy?

Would I buggery like. :lol:

If he claims NOS..probably cause it sat in his drawer and he was afraid to use it and now he has some debt to pay off...but regards to his price..he figures it's worth a million dollars when WE know it's worth $50 on average..he did a lengthy job at using his words to justify his price

Blades

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Not to derail this thread too much, but I saw an odd thing on ebay the other day. The item being sold was a fatboy replated in rhodium. Looked to be in nice shape, and it sold for just over $200.

Martin

Easy one Martin, someone on your side of the pond has bought a load of Fatboys (cheap?) and has been selling them for a few months. Guess they send them to a certain re-plater to get them re-finished and re-plated. They all sell well and at 1st used to fetch well over $200.00....... :shock:
Good luck to the guy, at least he is honest and people know what they are getting....... ;) ;)

missingskin said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Martin

Easy one Martin, someone on your side of the pond has bought a load of Fatboys (cheap?) and has been selling them for a few months. Guess they send them to a certain re-plater to get them re-finished and re-plated. They all sell well and at 1st used to fetch well over $200.00....... :shock:
Good luck to the guy, at least he is honest and people know what they are getting....... ;) ;)

Hi Steve,

Well, I guess if someone wants a $200 razor that's worth zero as a collectable, those would be the ones to get. Personally, I'd go about things a little differently if my goal was to have an excellent condition replated fatboy.

First of all, I'd find a real beater looking of a razor for very little cash. The place I had my razors replated charged $65 for a refurbish and the rhodium plating, with shipping included. So ideally I'd have less than $100 in the razor when completed.

I'm just sorta surprised that so people are bidding on the flash more than the substance. I mean jeeeez, it's not like a fatboy's an especially rare type. Heh, I obviously am missing something here.

Heh, I guess maybe an even more unusual razor like a replated President in nice shape might fetch even more cash. Oh, didn't I sell you one of those things recently Steve? I coulda really cashed in on that razor. Sigh........continued sellers remorse.

Nice typing at you as usual,

Martin

Oh, I wonder how those expensive replate jobs would sell on a shaving forum. You think the seller could get that kind of cash?

dodgy said:
missingskin said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Martin

Hi Steve,

Well, I guess if someone wants a $200 razor that's worth zero as a collectable, those would be the ones to get. Personally, I'd go about things a little differently if my goal was to have an excellent condition replated fatboy.

First of all, I'd find a real beater looking of a razor for very little cash. The place I had my razors replated charged $65 for a refurbish and the rhodium plating, with shipping included. So ideally I'd have less than $100 in the razor when completed.

I'm just sorta surprised that so people are bidding on the flash more than the substance. I mean jeeeez, it's not like a fatboy's an especially rare type. Heh, I obviously am missing something here.

Heh, I guess maybe an even more unusual razor like a replated President in nice shape might fetch even more cash. Oh, didn't I sell you one of those things recently Steve? I coulda really cashed in on that razor. Sigh........continued sellers remorse.

Nice typing at you as usual,

Martin

Oh, I wonder how those expensive replate jobs would sell on a shaving forum. You think the seller could get that kind of cash?

Martin, I am with you on this one. The Fatboy I have in bits was a cheapy and when I find someone over here to re-plate it in rhodium it will be for me not to sell.
Sorry you have sellers remorse, I am trying to feel guilty..........I will let you know later how that went...... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom