Review: Rocnel DE-P

Mine arrived, at last. It looks a nice enough razor, but I'll be interested to see how it performs in comparison with my Barbaros TR-1 and the Timeless scalloped baseplate razor. Unfortunately, my Timeless Solid Bar baseplate is still somewhere in transit (I hope), as that would probably be the better yardstick; although that is the .95 gap version.
Great! Best of luck on your first shave :)

Thanks.

I had a first go today, with a Nacet blade, OSP Barbershop soap and New Forest brush. Normally, I prefer a longer handle, but elected to try it in the maker's configuration.

The experience pretty much follows that which you had.

It certainly is a mild razor, although I had previously been using a Rockwell on Plate 4, so that might heighten the contrast. As you observe, it is both mild and efficient, although I would say that the Barbaros TR-1 edges it slightly in the efficiency stakes.

Where our experience diverges is that I couldn't get much, if any, audible feedback in most areas, bar the chin. That may of course be down to any number of factors, such as the blade. I shave daily, but have a respectable stubble by the next morning. I think that a better test of this would be a couple of days' growth.

As usual with Rocnel, it's beautifully-made, and it certainly isn't cheap in money terms. As you have also pointed out, in terms of performance it does almost duplicate other razors which some of us are fortunate enough to have; but, for someone who wants a single, durable top-quality stainless razor with the attributes that the DE-P possesses, then it likely more than fits the bill.

I'm a magpie when it comes to razors, and never get rid of any. That can result in some of them sitting unloved in a drawer or rack, but I am confident that this will get its fair share of use.

Mine arrived, at last. It looks a nice enough razor, but I'll be interested to see how it performs in comparison with my Barbaros TR-1 and the Timeless scalloped baseplate razor. Unfortunately, my Timeless Solid Bar baseplate is still somewhere in transit (I hope), as that would probably be the better yardstick; although that is the .95 gap version.

Thanks.

I had a first go today, with a Nacet blade, OSP Barbershop soap and New Forest brush. Normally, I prefer a longer handle, but elected to try it in the maker's configuration.

The experience pretty much follows that which you had.

It certainly is a mild razor, although I had previously been using a Rockwell on Plate 4, so that might heighten the contrast. As you observe, it is both mild and efficient, although I would say that the Barbaros TR-1 edges it slightly in the efficiency stakes.

Where our experience diverges is that I couldn't get much, if any, audible feedback in most areas, bar the chin. That may of course be down to any number of factors, such as the blade. I shave daily, but have a respectable stubble by the next morning. I think that a better test of this would be a couple of days' growth.

As usual with Rocnel, it's beautifully-made, and it certainly isn't cheap in money terms. As you have also pointed out, in terms of performance it does almost duplicate other razors which some of us are fortunate enough to have; but, for someone who wants a single, durable top-quality stainless razor with the attributes that the DE-P possesses, then it likely more than fits the bill.

I'm a magpie when it comes to razors, and never get rid of any. That can result in some of them sitting unloved in a drawer or rack, but I am confident that this will get its fair share of use.

Great write-up

Although I felt that the Rocnel shaved pretty closely on my first use of it, I was surprised this morning that it had suddenly become noisier!
I was using Razor Master Toivo soap, which is a great tar scented soap, but perhaps not quite as thick and slick as some others, which may account for it. The other explanation might be that my preceding day with the Rockwell produced a smoother finish than the first Rocnel day, with an undetectable difference (by feel, anyway) in bristliness.
Anyway, I feel nicely set-up for a Sunday morning, and will now apply some of the Marmite (Love It or Hate It) Of The Shaving World, Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

Back
Top Bottom