REVIEW - LeisureGuy's guide to Gourmet Shaving.

This is the book that I should have read a year ago.
Contrary to it's rather misleading title, this excellent book is a plain man's guide to beginning DE shaving written in plain language.
The book opens with a cogent and well thought-out chapter exploding the myths of cartridge razors and then goes on to explain the advantages of DE shaving.
Having disposed of the whys and wherefores Mr. Ham then goes on to explain about beard and grain-direction.
This then is followed by a chapter on prep and the ways and means of applying lather and a dissertation on soaps and creams.
A further chapter examines blades and razors, another the practice of shaving itself and the post-shave routine.
Finally he concludes with a chapter on starter kits and a diagnostic chapter on the most commonly encountered problems.
Mr Ham is not only an experienced shaver - which is fine - but he possesses the erudition and communication skills to pass on this experience, and becomes by default the relative that most of us never had to explain these things when we needed them.
I declare Michael Ham to be Honorary Uncle to all neophyte shavers!
Even if you no longer need such a book yourself it would be useful for lending to prospective DE converts.

It would be if CreativeSpace ran any sort of non-gouging operation:

Cover price for 3rd edition = $11.95, CreativeSpace (an Amazon group company) want $23 to ship it to the UK and will not allow a UK cardholder to have it shipped to a US address (to prevent fraud - however Amazon.com will happily allow anyone to buy anything from anywhere in the world and send it to the US).

2nd edition can be had for a smidge under £9 from Amazon.co.uk though.

I usually check the bookdepository, good savings on most amazon stock.Delivered for £8.46 so saving a whopping 50p :lol:

Good savings on other titles though.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781430328070/Leisureguys-Guide-to-Gourmet-Shaving">http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... et-Shaving</a><!-- m -->

Guys,

My copy is with SirPrize at the minute - if you'd like to read it before shelling out then drop him a PM and he'll send it on to you.

Rik.

To revive a very old thread, the 4th edition is out, and I have emailed Mr. Ham to enquire about bulk purchase. No idea whether the savings on bulk purchase and combined postage will offset the cost of onward postage. PM me if you are potentially interested, and any info anyone can get as to the cheapest price to get this edition in U.K incl. P & P welcome, as obviously total price would need to be competitive.

soapalchemist said:
To revive a very old thread, the 4th edition is out, and I have emailed Mr. Ham to enquire about bulk purchase. No idea whether the savings on bulk purchase and combined postage will offset the cost of onward postage. PM me if you are potentially interested, and any info anyone can get as to the cheapest price to get this edition in U.K incl. P & P welcome, as obviously total price would need to be competitive.

Mr. Ham is a great guy and if you contact him directly a signed copy of the book can be had, makes it just a bit more special for those of us in this hobby.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/category/shaving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/category/shaving/</a><!-- m -->

Sounds like Leisure Guy would make a good member here.

I'll propose his nomination; who will second it?

Also, I hereby offer to pay his subs for the first full year.

Anyone got contact details for the Guy?

I came across my copy of this book while tidying up last night, I bought it a few years ago t read on holiday. I am a fast reader, it is a habit from being taking education of some sort most of my life in one way or another, so I read it in a couple of sittings.

It is a good book well written, to be honest it didn't teach me a lot, by then I had picked up mostly everything he covers from forums and other books but it was still worth a read. It is written in an easy to read structure and has some good humor peppered through it.

Good ideas gents. I've sent Mr. Ham an email asking if he would be willing to sign the books and/or include name of buyer in the endorsement e.g. To ***, Best wishes from Michael Ham/ Leisureguy' or some such. So if you want to buy one of the batch I willl hopefully be getting and request an endorsement, let me know.
I have also requested the pleasure of his presence on the forum; although know he is on a trip at the moment, so it may be a couple of weeks before he shows up....if he does. I believe he is a fellow B & B refugee, so should fit in here fine. :D

Can TSR cope with more than one rabble rouser such as Fido ? I often imagine him sitting at his keyboard with his trousers tucked in2 his Argylls and maybe not even a tie on.

JohnnyO. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom