Review/first impressions of Hungarian Artisan soaps

Ok guys, first review of a shaving product from me, here it goes!

@Bechet you asked for details so here they are ;)

Background:
A little while ago I came across this Hungarian soapmaker on Reddit. There was a guy from Hungary who shared a picture of these soaps that no one ever heard of. Naturally people were very interested and a day later she arranged international shipping :D.

The soap makers name is Erika. She makes a whole range of soaps including these terrific shaving soaps.

I placed an order on the 9th of June and they arrived yesterday.

They come individually packed in small boxes with paper wrapped around the soaps, they are 65-75 grams each:
XmvNz2J.jpg

PkhRpmH.jpg

Scents:
Currently she offers her shaving soaps in 15 scents. I ordered the following, the scent descriptions are directly from her website:

Masculine Musk: (Sensual musk notes and just a touch of rosewood. A sweet sophisticated masculine blend).
Sands of Morocco: (Classic carnation blended with warm, powdery sandalwood and musk)
Cool Water: (A sophisticated blend of marine and green notes with cooling mint contrasted with rich cedarwood and musk)
Barber Shoppe: (Vibrant Bergamot and fresh basil leaf are complimented by earthy notes of Oakmoss and white patchouli)
Indigeniuos: (Exotic blend of cedar, sage and coriander)

These soaps have beautiful scents! The Barber Shoppe reminds me very much of MLS the Kraken.

I would say scent strength is medium to a little above medium (Don't quote me on this).

Lather:
I've tried the Sands of Morocco today with my Envy Ãœbersoft II brush, loaded with a pretty dry brush and added water while loading. Loading was very easy and straightforward.

Once loaded I applied it to my face and produced a very nice lather in no time! It can take a fair amount of water so you can get it to be very slick, it's among some of the best I tried.

(No lather shots unfortunately!)

Performance:
My ATT R1 glided over my face, especially the area around my chin where the razor tugs a bit when the lather is too dry, not in this case. It felt like the soap was protecting the skin very well, no loose skin from going ATG. Post shave was pretty good, residual slickness was not very apparent but next time I'll load a little longer and try to get it even slicker.

Cost:
What the hell did you pay for it you ask? Well one soap is 990 Ft which is €3,15 or
£2,50, pretty good right?

Including shipping to the Netherlands was a little over €30/£24. So the cost per soap is still fairly low at €6.

If you're interested you can order them here: http://www.benkeerikaszappan.hu/szappanok-79/borotvaszappanok-91/borotvaszappan-no2-285 The English scent descriptions are in parentheses.

The site is in Hungarian but using Google Translate I found it pretty straightforward to get an order in.

I'm not affiliated with her shop in any way.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Many thanks for that Gepstra! I can now add Hungary to my list from another post!

I have three tallow - No.2 - soaps on their way. Well, I expect and hope I do. I've certainly had lots on email from Erika in the seconds since paying. The bank system used tells me that they will confirm payment with a few minutes or a few hours.

Many thanks for that Gepstra! I can now add Hungary to my list from another post!

I have three tallow - No.2 - soaps on their way. Well, I expect and hope I do. I've certainly had lots on email from Erika in the seconds since paying. The bank system used tells me that they will confirm payment with a few minutes or a few hours.
Awesome! You're welcome!

And yes I also got around 5 or 6 emails haha.

Looking forward to your thoughts as well.

About to order Cool Water and Frozen and possibly Pacific Waters I got lost in translation will give it another shot later.

Last edited:

Cant get My Head Around that Foreign Site to Order ???..:oops:

Billy

I also saw that post on reddit and ordered Sedona and Vetiver (and one of her shave bowls). I ordered the day Erika enabled international ordering so have had the soaps for a few months and absolutely love them. I've only been wet shaving since the beginning of the year and have 10 or so soaps (artisan and commercial) so haven't felt qualified to write a full review myself but Sedona (haven't tried the vetiver yet) is probably my favourite soap of all so far!
Would definitely recommend an order to anyone reading - get two or three to make the shipping costs worthwhile though! Will make another order once I've started on the vetiver, very tempted by the sample pack!

Back
Top Bottom