Replica Watches

I am seriously considering purchasing a replica watch. Bear with me - I have a reason! My father passed away a couple of years ago, and I remember him always saying that he wanted a Zenith watch. It's the only brand I ever heard him mention and I seem to remember him owning a timepiece that sticks in my mind as having the gold 'star' and having a grey, blue and red face. It would probably have been a replica itself as he certainly wasn't a wealthy man. I don't know why this particular memory stays with me but recently I've been thinking a lot about it. Maybe because I have a son of my own now too. Anyway, I can never see myself owning an original, but I am thinking a replica would be nice. My question is basically does anyone have any experience of a modern day replica? Are they tremendously bad and be useless within a few months, or will they keep adequate time?

What a lovely story.
I had a replica watch that I bought a while ago to wear in "short sleeve" weather - impeccable timing and a good looker to boot.
Funny thing is the more I insisted that it was a replica the more I was disbelieved.
Gave it to a friend - still not sure why - am seriously thinking of getting another one to take on holiday.
If I loose or damage it I am only out £60.
Go for your replica Zenith - and wear it in good health!

By replica, do you mean homage (looks inspired by the original, but the real maker's name on display) or fake (pretending to be the original)? There will be good and bad examples of both, but I would not touch a fake. Apart from anything else, there is a good chance that a fake is made in dangerous, low paying factories and quite possibly by outright slaves.

Singing Blade said:
I am seriously considering purchasing a replica watch. Bear with me
My question is basically does anyone have any experience of a modern day replica? Are they tremendously bad and be useless within a few months, or will they keep adequate time?

Hi there,

It's possible to buy a very good replica, but the problem is from who. I won't get into the right/wrong thing, but keep in mind that rep watch sellers operate in a lawless kinda way. Not legal to begin with, so you takes your chances dealing with em. But yes, some fakes can have nice movements, sapphire crystals, handsome bands...that sorta stuff.

Almost every rep related spam is gonna be a bad place to buy from. Yeah, the rate of unpleasant things happening like nothing received or a crap watch or whatever is amazingly high,

Now if you're serious about finding a decent knock off, you need to do some research on the subject of where to buy from. You can try a search on that sorta thing and that will lead you to various replica watch forums. Those are the guys who know where the good stuff is sold. Vendors who usually don't advertise outside the forum, depending instead on word of mouth. Hah, some great photographs too.

So you may need to join a place to see the invisible threads. Then you need to read up in the model you want and who sells that brand.

Not all that easy finding a reputable rep salesman,

Martin

Thanks for the advice. I've spent some time considering this and I've decided against buying a replica. I'm going to concentrate my search on finding something similar, but of decent quality (sub £500-ish), and eventually purchase a pre-owned Zenith. It may take a while but I'm sure he would be proud!

OrangeSport said:
I would not touch a fake. Apart from anything else, there is a good chance that a fake is made in dangerous, low paying factories and quite possibly by outright slaves.

A bit like a lot of stuff available on the high street then....
Listen to Dodgy.
Repgeek is a good forum.

Singing Blade said:
Thanks for the advice. I've spent some time considering this and I've decided against buying a replica. I'm going to concentrate my search on finding something similar, but of decent quality (sub £500-ish), and eventually purchase a pre-owned Zenith.

Boab said:
Listen to Dodgy.
Repgeek is a good forum.

I don't know which Zenith you're looking at, but I do know they're famous for the in house El Primero movement in some models.

Far as finding something that looks kinda the same, maybe do a search for a homage if there's one made. It would look similar to a Zenith, but that name isn't on the watch. Some companies make some nice versions and some make junk. Once again, you will need to do some searching. Also, do you know anything about watches? If not, be sure and post any links to a potential purchase. It might save you some aggravation.

Martin

A lot of "genuine" watches are refinished in Thailand/India, where they repaint the dials and hands.
Now how genuine are these once they've been messed with?
Real afficinados would recognise them, but if the mechanism is genuine, you like the style, and it keeps time, then many are affordable...rather than buying a 100% genuine untouched model that is showing its age.

As for replicas..some have really good movements and try to be a homage, others are tat that are guaranteed to fail within a year.

dodgy said:
Singing Blade said:
Thanks for the advice. I've spent some time considering this and I've decided against buying a replica. I'm going to concentrate my search on finding something similar, but of decent quality (sub £500-ish), and eventually purchase a pre-owned Zenith.

Boab said:
Listen to Dodgy.
Repgeek is a good forum.

I don't know which Zenith you're looking at, but I do know they're famous for the in house El Primero movement in some models.

Far as finding something that looks kinda the same, maybe do a search for a homage if there's one made. It would look similar to a Zenith, but that name isn't on the watch. Some companies make some nice versions and some make junk. Once again, you will need to do some searching. Also, do you know anything about watches? If not, be sure and post any links to a potential purchase. It might save you some aggravation.

Martin

I knew next to nothing before I started my search! So, in one respect it's been a good thing to have undertaken. On the other hand, after reading various articles and dipping into some of the forums, it's hard not to look at my Tissot with a mixture of shame and embarrassment now! Seriously though, I've looked for an homage but can't find anything like the El Primero (which is the closest to what I remember - it would be, wouldn't it?!). So I think a scour around some of the smaller 'niche' watchmakers will be the next step. Any recommendations along these lines would be greatly appreciated!

Hiya,

Believe it or not, most people who buy reps in any sort of quantity as a hobby, aren't trying to fool anyone. Nope, it's all about having em around to look at and wear. Many of these guys have some serious acquisition disorders going on. Heh, sound a little familiar? Nah, hell no. Plus, these guys are REAL particular about attention to detail. They know just as much or more about a watch than the guys on legit watch forums. It's an obsession to some people.

I happened to remember something as a starting point for finding a well made rep, sold by someone who will make good on a bad piece sent. There was a guy with the name of TTK who is kinda known by lots of people. Doing a rep search with his name in it will come up with a few interesting hits. The guy was quite a character from many years ago and an amazing photographer. Also sold pens.

From there maybe pursue other links in the way.

Martin

Man, I should not have opened this thread!

I have just signed up to Repgeek. There are some very interesting offers over there. Not being in anyway able to afford to spend money on a real Panerai, I just decided that I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Now though!...

Unfortunately, I can afford some of what is being sold there but I don't need another costly addiction :icon_sad:

James

Boab said:
Listen to Dodgy.
Repgeek is a good forum.

Jamesc said:
Man, I should not have opened this thread!

Not being in anyway able to afford to spend money on a real Panerai, I just decided that I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Now though!...

Rather than a knock off, there's some decent Panerai homage watches. They just don't have the name on em, but still look good and keep time just fine.

I got myself one about 6 months ago from a place I will link to. Good place to deal with, and zero problems with the watch. Only thing is, you might wanna upgrade on the band sometimes, depending on the model.

See whatcha think: http://www.siswatch727.com/index.do

OrangeSport said:
Singing Blade said:
hard not to look at my Tissot with a mixture of shame and embarrassment now!

Nothing wrong with Tissot. A perfectly respectable brand! We need to see a picture though.....

Here's my 'collection'. Don't hate me.....

[attachment=9613]

I like the look of that 'Luminor' as well, but it's about as different to what I should be looking for as it's possible to get without having a digital face!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom