Replacement for Noxzema Blue / Menthol

I've used Noxzema menthol (blue can) for the last 25 years, but despite buying in bulk, my supplies will run out in the next 3 months.

I've heard good things about Proraso shaving foam. I've read elsewhere on this forum that the red can is a good replacement for the Noxzema blue, but I think the green can has menthol in it...

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Thanks very much!

Julian

Welcome, chief. First off, ditch the goo in a can, get thyself a cheap but quality shaving brush and buy a tube of Ingram Quality Lather Shave which is available at most Superdrug stores and some independent chemists. It has the menthol you so desire, it's made in the UK, it is brilliant on the skin and less than £2 a tube. A tube lasts me weeks longer than the old can stuff used to.

This is the boy you want:

classicedge_ingram-500x500.jpg

A wee picture from me taken earlier in the year:

8668566598_95245dbef9_c.jpg

Never tried Proraso Foam, but cream is nice very easy to get a good lather but you may have to use brush as I never tried without brush. Ingrams is very good as well strong cooling menthol.

Gairdner said:
Welcome, chief. First off, ditch the goo in a can, get thyself a cheap but quality shaving brush and buy a tube of Ingram Quality Lather Shave which is available at most Superdrug stores and some independent chemists. It has the menthol you so desire, it's made in the UK, it is brilliant on the skin and less than £2 a tube. A tube lasts me weeks longer than the old can stuff used to.

This is the boy you want:

classicedge_ingram-500x500.jpg

A wee picture from me taken earlier in the year:

8668566598_95245dbef9_c.jpg
This....

Get rid of the canned chemical stuff.

CelticRoots said:
This....

And use instead the un-canned chemical stuff?

Congratulations on lasting this long on Blue, Julian - I gave up and did my grieving years ago. I don't think there is a substitute - just get used to other ways of lathering and try not to think of Blue, RIP.

Bechet45 said:
CelticRoots said:
This....

And use instead the un-canned chemical stuff?

Congratulations on lasting this long on Blue, Julian - I gave up and did my grieving years ago. I don't think there is a substitute - just get used to other ways of lathering and try not to think of Blue, RIP.

Aerosols contain more harmful chemicals than a tube of cream matey.

You may find this link helpful...

http://www.electrogent.com/2013/09/shaving-creams-new-beginning/

CelticRoots said:

Not at all helpful, matey. The author does not know my skin and so does not know that I react immediately to the much vaunted TOBS creams, along with many others here. Other creams variously affect my skin adversely whereas in forty years of aerools I didn't have a single reaction. Of the aerosols, I rate Noxema far and away the best - it is so silky smooth, lubricates extremely well and is well suited to my skin - and millions of others'. I use L'Oreal now for the same reasons - but it is getting hard to find, too.

'Tis a dull man who relies on the opinions of others and quotes them like gospel, being without experience to gauge them by.

Bechet45 said:
CelticRoots said:

Not at all helpful, matey. The author does not know my skin and so does not know that I react immediately to the much vaunted TOBS creams, along with many others here. Other creams variously affect my skin adversely whereas in forty years of aerools I didn't have a single reaction. Of the aerosols, I rate Noxema far and away the best - it is so silky smooth, lubricates extremely well and is well suited to my skin - and millions of others'. I use L'Oreal now for the same reasons - but it is getting hard to find, too.

'Tis a dull man who relies on the opinions of others and quotes them like gospel, being without experience to gauge them by.

So you are insulting me now? Poor show.

I think it may be time to pull your rattle back in the pram and converse like a grown man rather than throwing around insults over nothing at all.

I've being swapping notes with a UK distributor which is negotiating with P&G for a licence to manufacture Noxzema shaving foam over here. They hope to have things up and running within the next 6 months. Of course, licence negotiations (even for end of life products) can be very difficult and prolonged - so it may never happen. But here's hoping it does!

CelticRoots said:
Bechet45 said:
CelticRoots said:

I think it may be time to pull your rattle back in the pram and converse like a grown man rather than throwing around insults over nothing at all.

Hardly an insult and a perfect response to some blog pertaining to be fact and the superior attitude posting it
Shaving cream can have just as dangerous ingredients

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/men/shaving-tips/chemicals-in-shaving-cream2.htm

Antifreeze and cancer anyone

One good reason for using soap/cream instead of foam is that it's such good fun.

I know some people seem to want to spend half an hour making foam in a bowl but I find that with most of my soaps (and using face lathering), the whole load/lather/lather/clean process takes about thirsty seconds at most and is so much more satisfying than smearing on foam from a can (and even that can be quite pleasant).

Using soap/cream also gives you such a massive choice of textures and scents.

CelticRoots said:
Bechet45 said:
CelticRoots said:

I hardly think Bechet insulted you, if he had, you would have definitely known about it :) And if you would like him to converse about some of the nasties in shaving creams and soaps, then I'd advise you to look at some of his earlier posts/threads pertaining to this matter. As I'm sure you'll find, the man is very knowledgeable on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom