Repair or bin ?

I just bought a black beauty from the bay, on test shaving it it shaved like a dog, prolly one of the worst shaves ever, the seller did state that the doors closed but there was a click on the lower settings, well after the bad shave I looked deeper, the razor exposure is max at all settings and one safety bar is slightly bent both laterally and horozontally, it is really not a lot but you can see it...I tried to straighten it and succeeded to a large extent, the doors now close smoothly, but it still has little adjustment, I tried setting 1 and it was like a 7 or 8, very aggressive. So the question is, do I spend time and money on it or bin it, I forgot to mention...the seller gave me a refund minus postage and I kept the razor...so all it has cost me was £4, I like the Black Beauty but im thinking just get another...they are not too expensive....oh!...any ideas on what might be wrong with this sob :-(

Bob.

Got these fotos..

Screenshot_20191202-041929_eBay.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191202-041917_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20191202-041917_eBay.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You can see the damage on the left side...the safety bar is misaligned...looks like it was dropped and the bar hit something.

Rip it apart and keep the good bits maybe.
Buy another (better) one.
The old doors, adjuster, handle, etc may be useful to keep?
I have seen (online somewhere?) a wee video of dismantling a Black Beauty.
But in your case...yeah...get another one. There's lots of good ones out there.
Tried Etsy yet? There's a Gold one on there right now...so nice! So desirable...you really need this one.
Oh yeah...don't forget that they have the last 1/4 turn locking just like a Fatboy, etc.
If you don't lock it down even a good example of the Black Beauty will bite.

Last edited:
FchCi.gif

Soaked, cleaned etc but the adjuster just does nothing, I read quite a bit and watched utube vids, in the case of the Black Beauty, the repair of some parts is unable to be done, the crimp on the bottom cannot be repaired like all the other adjustables...well actually it can be repaired but only in a few cases...all because of the soft alliy used in the shaft. Seeing the problem and being unable to fix it was doin my nut in, but tonight I had my hot glue gun out, I wondered if I could glue it in the no1 position...it was either 1 or 9 and I know 9 is a face ripper...anyway I glued it let it harden and cut off all the excess and made sure the doors operated as they should...it all looked well...so with a 2 day growth and a new polsilver to hand I set about a shave...it was fine..no problems at all apart from it being a No1 setting, it will defo do for a quick shave tho even two passes left a bit of ruff. My only concern is that the hot melt glue seperates and I end up with a sore one, defo will be a warm rinse for that razor from now on, glad it is " usable" but not as any of us would really want, but it has been saved from the bin

I think I will pick up another one, I just like the look of them. This one is a 109pv which has the black plastic baseplate, the plastic baseplate was introduced to cut costs and improve profit...which it done. My next one will be a nickel base tho.

Yep, gimmicks and gadgets keep the designers and ad writers busy, but solid and simple is a better choice for the consumer. (y)

I find with razors with larger heads then can be trickier to shave under the nose, and of course it's down to user's technique but I find myself to cut myself above the lip with a larger razor head in consequence. I'd never use such a razor with a hangover, which might not be important to everyone but it does to me!

I think I will pick up another one, I just like the look of them. This one is a 109pv which has the black plastic baseplate, the plastic baseplate was introduced to cut costs and improve profit...which it done. My next one will be a nickel base tho.

Well, I have been told that the plastic base plate is smoother than the nickel one. I am the proud owner of a nickel base plate, and I find a bit rough, dot quite know why. I never tried the plastic one.

I have the metal base plate version and it shaves sweetly.
Many people don't realise that there is an extra 1/4 turn needed after closing the doors down. This is the final locking movement.
If not locked down then the shave can indeed be a tad rough.
The extra 1/4 turn is not new...the Fatboys and Slims had it too.

Back
Top Bottom