Recommend me a brush.

Up till now I've been used to creams, but I want to investigate soaps more. I have a cheap vulfix (my first brush) that is really stiff and scratchy, but is great for the couple of soaps that I have tried thus far (Tabac and Erasmic).

I'd like something a bit more upmarket (say £70.00) that will assist me on my quest. My current 'top end' brush is a Kent BK4, which I find, does the job, but requires a load more effort than my Vulfix.

Don't mind the stiff of my Vulfix, but the scratchy I scould do without.

Over to you guys......

Jules

Hi Jules,

For me, my best all round brush is my Duke 3. It's pretty much perfect.

If you want something a bit smaller and suits face lathering then a size zero Thater.

Or, if you like a bit of this, a bit of that, give Beejay a PM and get him to make you one. He makes some amazing brushes. I've got 2 made by him.

Hope thats a start, brushes are quite a personal thing. Little variances can change the characteristics of the brushes a lot. It's just finding the right combination for you that can take a while and cost a lot more than £20 ;)

I've been very impressed with Fido's first two New Forest brushes, which represent peerless value for money. So it's well worth checking out what Peter has on offer. Given that budget though, I'd be inclined to look at a custom: I can vouch for Bill (Beejay) and Neocaligatio, but Rod Neep and Henk are very safe bets too from what I hear.

I can't really offer a recommendation as I also have the Kent BK4 and a couple of low cost brushes, but I'd like to point out that The Shaving Shack (shaving-shack.com) have a January Sale on, with some decent discounts on Simpson and Plisson brushes.

Hard to recommend, most people choose a brush on feel, and everyone likes different things. I like something firm and soft and easy to use.

In badger, a Chubby 1 is a top brush but will take some getting used to. It's uber dense. I use mine for creams because I don't use it every day, and I need to if I want to nail soap lathering every time. Nearer your budget the Dukes are very good, but not quite as packed.

In boar, Omegas are massively underrated because they're cheap. But they're perfect for soap. I got a few of them and they all work fantastically with soft or hard soaps. After spending $300 on brushes the last 2 years, a $10 Omega 10005 will do anything any expensive brush can do, without fuss or break in rituals (hello, semogues?), and is still plenty soft enough to face lather with. They've been selling this model for decades.

I have a thater 4125/2 and it's a very good allround brush, amazing in face lather and huge with a bowl so I can recommand you a 4125/0
Otherwise, you can custom your personnal brush with handle, knot and so on at shavemac or rudy Vey !

Thanks for all the replies thus far, some interesting suggestions, most interesting are the custom options! Will have to consider this one carefully methinks.....

Regards

Jules

Synthetic bristle brushes don't absorb as much, and dry quickly. An easy one to get is Body Shop, but don't rinse directly under a hot tap or the bristles could all come out. Omega do good synthetic brushes. There is also Edwin Jagger.

Back
Top Bottom