Recommend a travel razor

Hi, I have been DE shaving for a month now and have a Merkur 34c which I'm very happy with.
However, I generally do a lot of travelling with my job, being away most of the week and thinking about a DE travel razor.
Have seen the Merkur 933CL which looks good but has anyone here got any recommendations?

Cheers,
Geoff

I camp.
Well, caravan actually - though I do indulge in a spot of backpacking and camping during the summer months of between July the 29th and August the 1st each year. During Autumn (August the 2nd to September 15th), Winter (September 16th to June 22nd) and Spring (June 23rd to July 28th) I caravan. So I take a full size razor, actually I take an S1 Black Beauty. I used to take a Travel Tech. Then I traded up to a light handle Tech, then a heavy handle Tech, then the S1. Now I take cream, Le Tuft brush, S1, alum, a selection of blades and some toilet water.

Get ye a full size proper razor. Dont muck about with these little travel efforts, even the weighty Gillette Brass handle Travel Tech gets on your nerves after a while as the handle is too short. Unless you really have a baggage weight problem, or are a crack SAS Commando on manoeuvres in Wales, buy a nice full size razor and pop it in your wash bag. Seriously, just pack a razor you know you get on with and enjoy.

i bought a little 1960's gillette tech set in a bakelite box. it has space for the razor and some blades, and is small and compact... that and a brush tube fit nicely in my wash bag

Thanks all for the replies and advice. As I travel so much I have previously kept a duplicate shaving kit in my luggage so will look to purchase another "full razor". Now, the question is do I get the same razor that I have in the bathroom or something different?

I am looking at the same thing. I travel a lot, I rarely used to unpack my wash bag at home at weekends, it is just unpacked in the hotel room.

I am currently taking my Futur everywhere, but that is a hefty razor. I have been thinking of getting something different though for travel, but still a full razor, not a travel one.

I have a Gillette Blue Tip that I use for travel. A light and a very mild, forgiving razor. I seem to appreciate this more when travelling, perhaps it's the difference in water etc, but I have to be more careful when away from home. Also when working away or on holiday there is a tendency to have to shave every day and my wee fizzer does not enjoy extended runs! I would recommend one of these to anyone, for new users I believe it would be an excellent introduction to DE shaving.

I use a Lord L6. Any 3 piece would work.

I carry it disassembled with each piece tucked into a loop of some old manicure case I picked up at a yard sale, along with blades and styptic.

I have two options for travel razors for sale on the BST: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=12212

One is an aluminium handled Tech, the other a rather nifty SE razor, that carries the spare blades inside the handle, and loads them using a built in injector mechanism.

Both make good travel razors IMO. Take a look, and drop me a PM if you are interested. If they don't meet your budget, let me know your budget, and I'll see if I can match that. Open to trade as well.

/Max

Back
Top Bottom