Really dumb question and behavior...

Hi guys so I got myself the very basics...and Edwin Jagger 89 safety razor which came with 5 feather blades, a sample pack of blades from connaught, a WS brush, palmolive soap stick and a WS lather bowl.

I have watched a few lather tutorials and can get that going well enough I think, but, because of my job I need a very close shave and on the first pass I just wasn't getting that close at all, so because I was in a bit of a rush I resorted back to my gillette sensor excell just to get it done quickly.

The next night, and here's the dumb part, I tried to shave by removing the base part of the safety razor so that I was shaving with the full blade, but obviously because it was not designed for this it was quite unstable I couldn't get a good shave so again I resorted back to the sensor excell just for quickness.

So, obviously I know I'm going wrong somewhere, but is it the fact that a safety razor is designed not to give such a close shave and I'll need one that exposes the face to all of the blade? Do I maybe need to do several more passes? Is it just my technique and angle I'm holding it at? Or something I've missed?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Ok, the thing you tried with the safety razor is not safe, for your own sake please don't do this again.
You should not be trying or expecting to get a smooth face on the first pass, it's all about the gradual removal of stubble with each pass.
Your first pass should be with the grain, ie with the direction you beard grows, so a downward pass generally and lather up again and do a XTG pass, ie from ear to nose or nose to ear, re lather and go XTG in the opposite direction to the pass you just did, if you need to you can then do an ATG pass Ie against the direction of growth . You do all of this with no pressure on the razor and never go over your skin with the razor if there is no lather on it.
I would advise you watch some YouTube shaving tutorials, DE shaving is not quite the same as with a cartridge razor , you need to take your time and do it right, above all NO PRESSURE on the razor as you shave. Good luck.

As Blademonkey says, and I'm sure you now know, that wouldn't be a smart idea to repeat ;)

I'd encourage you to maybe keep shaving with the Gillette when time is under pressure, and practice your DE shaves at the weekend, or whenever you have more time. It's a fantastic thing once you crack the skill - and it won't take long for you to become more comfortable following Blademonkey's advice.

Try other blades too - the Feather is a superb blade but isn't for everyone. There's dozens to choose from, all give different levels of closeness and comfort, which varies from person to person. The key is experiment, and find what works best for you :)

The 89 is ( my view ) both gentle and efficient. I'm guessing that because you're used to carts which are much more intuitive in use owing to having only one shaving side allowing the handle to be angled
and which allow much greater pressure than you'll get away with safely with a safety razor you haven't yet had enough usage to find the optimum shaving angle. Spend more time than you believe you need working the lather well into your skin then try to shave the lather off ( no pressure ) as described by BladeMonkey above. It'll come good. Safety razors have given close enough shaves over the decades to satisfy the Hiusehold Brigade and the 'bus ticket test, and you've invested in some excellent kit. Take time, enjoy, and very welcome to a friendly forum.

JohnnyO. o/

Thanks for the replies and advice, it's appreciated :) . I'm gonna take my time and properly learn this stuff, though it could take a while as I'm quire busy and a bit of a slow learner haha.

Cool name and avatar, DoSACer, I've just got got to almost the end of season 3, Malcom Tucker is a bit of a legend!

If you find that the DE89 is not shaving as close as the cart, after going with the grain and across the grain, then consider adding a couple of shim's, shim's are just old blades with about 3mm cut off the sharp part of the blade, with scissors, you fit the shims to the head of the razor, then the new blade, and then the cap, you have to retain the shim's when you change the blade each time though.
I have a couple of shims in mine, and I won't be using the DE89 without them, they turn a mild but efficient razor into a medium aggressive efficient razor

My advice as a relative newbie to the DE way of shaving is as follows.

1. Watch the Nick shaves videos which I will link below. There are 16 short videos, around 2 or 3 minute's each.
This will give you the basics of what you need to know. YouTube is your friend and I advise you watch as many videos as possible before you trying your next DE shave. I'll post a few more videos later.

2. You mentioned a few times, you are in a rush when shaving. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but DE shaving is not the way to go if you are in a rush.
I'd suggest the following. Have a shave on an evening and weekends. This way you have plenty of time to get used to this way of shaving.
I've only been shaving this way for 3 months and it still takes me 20-30 minutes just to shave, that's not including a shower etc.

As someone new to this way of shaving I would say DE shaving is a luxury. The luxury of time is probably the one thing which doesn't get mentioned before you start looking into it.

I see this in a positive way. We are (as you have mentioned) constantly in a rush.
After you've watched a load of videos and got your head round this way of shaving.
I would suggest you schedule a time for your shave. Get everything laid out in front of you.
Close the bathroom door, have a hot shower and clear your mind. Take your time and enjoy having this time just for you.
I know that sounds like some new age, tree hugger rubbish but it works.

DE shaving is at its very basic level is just shaving and for most people we can get by with a cartridge razor just fine.
What 99% of folk using this way of shaving love (let's face it) is pampering ourselves and buying loads of stuff.

This way of shaving is a luxury and a ritual, enjoy it.

All of the above!
My first DE shave took around forty minutes but, I practiced on weekends.
If I'm rushing, which I try to avoid, it takes ten minutes in total, possibly less I don't time myself, which is still longer than I used to take with a cartridge razor. But the results are incredibly good.
The lather thing, again when you've got it it's easy and quick.
There is so much excellent advice on this thread and this site that I won't repeat it but, patience is key here.
It took me a few weeks before I was comfortable DE shaving each morning and then quite a bit longer again to get to grips with a straight razor, I can't do that in ten minutes.
Your patience will pay off in time.

Like you @Marky I need a close shave, as well as it being everyday. Practice is key here. It took me a few months to get my technique down well enough to need only 15 mins to shave close enough for work. EJ89 is a good razor, just swap some blades around and see what works for you. Practice when you dont have to rush and actually enjoy the time. Watch videos on youtube if you can, Nick Shaves is a great channel for DE shaves.

it takes time to get the right angle down, and the right level of pressure needed for your facial skin/facial hair strength/razor and blade combo/soap used
and alternating between shaving systems on a daily basis is ONLY goting to MAKE IT WORSE for you when you use either system. each system beats your face in a different way. and doing so is only going to make it worse when you try the new system out.

HERE is what you NEED TO DO
1. do one pass with the grain. relather and do another. your done shaving.
2. moisturize and whatnot after shave stuff.
3. go to work
4. note when you get facial hair build up again at work. keep track every day for a week.
5. second week, take a de razor in a little bag with some decent foam in a can, or some brushless cream say musgo or proraso or even the new cella stuff. shave when needed.

hot water is bad. hot water for the generation of lather, soaking the brush, and soaking the razor/blade before the shave GOOD. but hot water upon the face is BAD.

for that reason, im not a fan of most shave videos. and I hate nickshaves, claiming 15 dollars a month on replacement cartridges... heretic. I was spending 30 a week on carts.

Back
Top Bottom