Really coarse stubble/Sensitive skin. Still have issues.

Maybe if skin is sensitive maybe use shave oil as a base then lather some creme on top the other option would be to shave oil do a light pass the wash off and lather with a nice creme or soap

Well,

Ive just taken delivery of a Razorback 37 German (same as Merkur 37c) and put a brand new Gillette yellow blade in.

First pass - Very smooth , thought this is the one
Second pass - not bad
Third pass - OUCH , cuts galore and loads of stubble left that I can't touch as so painful

Think I'm going to leave shaving full stop as can't get this right. Face is in agony.

Matt

. No slickness whatsoever. Is that normal?

No, it's not normal but you might live in a hard water area and that is affecting the quality of your lather.

Also, are you adding enough water to your lather? For a very slick lather, my lather needs to be on the wet side ( I live in a hard water area)

Now, the most important question..... are you letting your neck heal properly before you shave again? You really have to give your neck a chance to heal..... baby bottom butter from Waistrose used to do the trick for me.

So far, of what I have read ( 2 pages) you have tried 2 very aggressive razors and some blades. Not ideal really.

First the blades. .... the Feather is a very very sharp blade but not smooth at all and together with the Future or Muhle will draw blood if you don't use the lightest of touches and your technique is spot on. So I wouldn't recommend those combinations for now. I would advise you instead to try to master your shaving technique first, specially a light touch and angles. Most of us have been there and it takes time but it gets better. I used to get really bad irritation on my neck and also used to think my touch was light lol..... but that seems so long ago now :)

You said you have an EJ89. I would use that and a sharp but also smooth blade..... I use Perma Sharp and Voshod but YMMV.

Don't go for BBS until you get your technique sorted.

Map your bear

Finally..... no slickness after a pass? Not good but you can correct that.... bloom your soap with warm water and then use some of that water before you put lather on your face... before each pass.... it works really well for me.

Does this get better? It does. Your skin needs time to adjust but it doesn't happen overnight.

Good luck.

Matt can suggest an open comb DE, I've recently purchased a few new razors. The fatip picollo is a great razor for only 20 quid. I normally use it with 2 days growth and find I'm not doing as many passes as with the Edwin 89.

Just to throw in there I use a Gillette Silver Blue usually with my open comb gillette senator and get superb 2 pass shaves WTG,XTG. I too have very coarse stubble and fairly sensitive skin, i'd highly recommend a open comb DE with a sharp but smooth blade a Senator if you can find one are great, I will be trying Polsilver Super Imodium tomorrow then later in the week my new fat boy when it arrives as I have never used an adjustable so we will see how it goes.
Forgot to add I shave daily

Back
Top Bottom