Razorock Mudder Focker review!

I had been keen to try Razorock for some time and was pleased to see The Shaving Station importing some great artisan soaps!

The packaging : cheap and low quality. This is one area I think Razorock let themselves down.

Scent : very nice indeed, not overly imposing but a fresh and clean scent which is less 'soapy' than the One x. I didn't find any scent left on the face post shave.

Lathering : Very easy, I have used the soap with a best badger and a boar brush and both created a decent lather. The soap itself is quite soft and I found a lather fairly easy to build on the face.

Shaving : I found the lathers staying power fairly good, not the best but adequate enough. The lather was pretty slick and dense but I did find that after each shave I would get a little tingly in some areas which I do not get with other soaps. All 3 shaves with this soap have left my skin feeling the same, I don't think it provides quite enough protection personally. Of course, it could be technique, however all 3 shaves were the same.

Post shave : whether it is the mud components supposedly on the ingredients list or just a placebo effect but my skin felt extremely smooth post shave. My wife picked up on it also. Some other soaps leave my face almost tacky. I found Mudder Focker lacking somewhat in the hydration department. Post shave my skin was dry and soaked up large amounts of post shave balm.

Summary : A very pleasant scent and great face feel post shave but in truth I am somewhat disappointed. Before purchasing this soap I read various reviews online by some well regarded wet shavers and it ranked high amongst other well noted opponents. Some even said it was the best soap they have ever had the pleasure of using....me, I'm not so sure. Whilst I confess I do not have the experience of the aforementioned reviewers I do know that I get better results from some of my other artisan soaps.

Maybe I was expecting more after hearing such great reports. Certainly an enjoyable soap and one I will continue to use in future. It may just feature slightly down the list.

Ben

Thanks for that review Ben. I was toying with getting some but had some hesitations mainly because I'd heard issues similar to the ones you've raised here. I'll have a nosey elsewhere and possibly get some at a later date.

Glad it can be of some assistance. Please bear in mind that as with anything involved in this hobby, YMMV.

I am using the One X this week and getting some great shaves. I really like the menthol kick (less so than Proraso Green) and find it to be slicker than the Mudder Focker. A separate review on this to come!

Glad it can be of some assistance. Please bear in mind that as with anything involved in this hobby, YMMV.

Absolutely, but I think it's always worth keeping it in mind, especially when I already had reservations. Nah, I think I'll save my money and head in the direction of Nanny's soap...or Prof Blighty. Can't go wrong with their stuff.

Mudder Focker has flown off the shelves since we took on RazoRock and as Ben alludes to in his review it generally does receive some quite exceptional reviews.

Obviously Bens experience has not quite met with the levels he had anticipated, but again, as he quite rightly states, this game would be pretty boring if everybody loved the same thing!

So ... to encourage further feedback and see if you agree/disagree with Bens assesment we have a 10% discount code wiating for the next 3 customers wishing to try Mudder Focker for themselves and share their opinions.

DM me if you wish to receive a discount code ... remember, maximum of 3 available!!

Regards

Stuart

I just wanted to add that I've used this soap a few more times and it has grown on me considerably. The scent is wonderful and now I've gotten it dialled in this is a soap I'd buy again. The post-shave feel is particularly good.

Chiming in with my thoughts:

As with all of the RazoRock products I have tried in the past, getting this to lather was easy. A bit of water certainly helped with this one though.

Slickness wasn't as good as some and the sharper blades highlighted some issues with cushion, but it wasn't bad.

My view on the fragrance changed over the course of the shaves as it all but disappeared. You'd get a whiff at the start, but even that was subtle, then it would disappear. Certainly not one for those who like a hit of scent.

I wonder if the request to leave it open to dry for as long as possible dampened the power. I do the same for all my soaps though. Not that what I could pick up was unpleasant. You do get the feeling it's the mud that is given centre stage and the scent is an afterthought.

Despite the Fuller's Earth, I didn't find it performed any better than other RR products or provided significantly improved post shave feel. It didn't blow me away compared to other products either. The results of my shaves were quite varied, with none really shining.

As ever with RR, good value and a solid performance, but nothing spectacular.

Full review here.

Back
Top Bottom