Razor identification help needed.

Bought this on the bay and cleaned it up as best I could - but I can't identify it!

I've asked elsewhere about how to clean the knurling on the handle - but this is a good place to reply, too!

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

All help gratefully received.

A ball end Old type of some kind, to my untrained eye. Imagine ultrasonic would clean up the knurling but I say from what I have read not experienced

I'd agree, old type ball end.

There maybe a # or something that someone knows but I never remember things like that.

Bechet45 said:
Bought this on the bay and cleaned it up as best I could - but I can't identify it!

I've asked elsewhere about how to clean the knurling on the handle - but this is a good place to reply, too!

Hi there,

Yeah, I'd agree with the other guys about it being a ball end Old Type. i know some of the razors with that head were silver plated, such as the Single Ring. For those a good way to clean em is the boiling water/tin foil/baking soda trick. Them there bubbles clean up the knurling pretty good with repeat applications of that technique.

Here's a dating chart. Your razor has a number that should be able to be matched up.

Martin

Attachments

• RENALDO.US - Gillette Razor and Blade Dating and Feature Information.html
    43.7 KB · Views: 15
I never cease to be amazed at the resources available in TSR! You scored a double bull's eye there, dodgy - many thanks.

The dating chart coupled with Mr Razor enables even newbies such as I! One is firmly 1917 and the ball end New a few years later - both are now sparkly bright, like new from the factory - well, considering they are the best part of 100 years old!

After saying I'd never get into vintage razors, I have discovered yet another form of RAD. Speciality is clearly needed in the hope of off-setting an impoverished old age!

As a matter of great interest and curiosity, where does the tin foil come into the bicarb of soda cleaning technique. I dutifully followed your clues and used a foil lined dish until I cottoned on to what was happening - and then went industrial with a stainless saucepan on the stove. What is the foil for?

Bechet45 said:
The dating chart coupled with Mr Razor enables even newbies such as I! One is firmly 1917 and the ball end New a few years later - both are now sparkly bright, like new from the factory - well, considering they are the best part of 100 years old!

After saying I'd never get into vintage razors, I have discovered yet another form of RAD. Speciality is clearly needed in the hope of off-setting an impoverished old age!

Glad you found that chart handy,

Vintage razors can be pretty darn rewarding to collect and shave with. They certainly don't all perform the same way, and I'd guess that the currently made razors won't shave the same as some of the older types not being made anymore. I'm not talking about only the Gillettes......places like France also made some nice things back in the day.

I can't tell you how many times I've bought a razor that's all black and tarnished and funky looking, which ended up having a beautiful silver plate underneath in great shape. Found a bunch of gold plated razors with green gunk and soap scum that cleaned up just as well.

As you probably figured, the tin foil's used to create some kinda chemical reaction with the boiling water and baking soda. Hah, I think either the duller side or the shiny side works best, but I can't remember which one. Used that method just yesterday on my Kirby, which is silver plated. There's a post somewhere on another forum that describes the cleaning method better than me, but I can't tell you exactly where it is. I do know that the water does have to boil for it to be most effective.

Martin

Oh yeah, I should mention that often times I'll also use MAAS to make silver colored razors shine even more after that treatment. I use a fairly soft scrub brush along with the polish to get the knurling especially clean if needed.

For cleaning knurling I use a cocktail stick. Its just hard enough to get grime without marking the handle. I tend to soak the handle first, then attack the grime. The picks to fray out when being used, but a quick snip off the end with sharp scissors or knife will present a new point.

Bechet45 said:

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

I have one that looks the same and has made in Canada stamped in it along with the Gillette logo. I've tried searches for the number but no luck.
I just used a tooth brush with toothpaste for the knurled bit (a good soak in soapy water first) and it came up quite well.

Gives a good shave as well.

You may be right on the Canada thing. As I didn't see the '04 on the bottom band of the handle ... I'd say the C in the serial number is for Canada. I also didn't see the made in US on the bottom of the comb. It's... Canada 1921!!! Do I win????

Bechet45 said:
I'm beginning to think that it's a frankenrazor in the wrong box!

I have a 3 hole gillette blade I can let you have, no charge as its you. If you want one just PM me your address and its yours:icon_wink:

John said:
Bechet45 said:
I'm beginning to think that it's a frankenrazor in the wrong box!

I have a 3 hole gillette blade I can let you have, no charge as its you. If you want one just PM me your address and its yours:icon_wink:

thanks you have just helped me discover while my shave varies a lot with my razor.

the blade doesn't always sit level

Back
Top Bottom