Rameau straight razor in antler

mikew said:
Looking good Rob. What sort of antler is it?
That was. Piece of Sika. Really interesting to work with. Actually Mike, you may be able to supply some tips on trying to ensure the pin holes are aligned - I found it quite difficult trying to ensure I was drilling a 90 degree angle when the two pieces were taped together. Maybe you have some ideas as to how you would approach the problem.

I remember seeing a jig for doing this but it's a little hard to describe. It was a piece of right angle aluminium with cut outs where you want your pin holes. You clamp your scales to this, flat side up, and hold the aluminium in a drill press vice. You now know the flat face of your scales are at 90 degrees to the table on your drill press.

Tell you what, I'll show you a pic....

I just knocked this up but I should say I was shown the idea by the very talented knifemaker Ben Orford.

You could clamp one scale on the top and the other to the bottom and drill through both in one go I imagine.

Let me know if you want a piece of angle.

Thanks Mike. As always there a simple solution. I guess you just have to ensure both scales are more or less aligned before drilling, and you can then finish the shape with them held together with a small pin.

By the way, a piece of angle would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom