RAD advice please!

Afternoon Gentleman

Have been DE shaving several months now, but new to this forum.

When I started I bought the 34HD and Futur together ( discount for first purchase!) and decided to learn the craft with the 34HD. After about 6 months tried the Futur but couldn't get on with it because found the head too big for under the nose/top lip.

Feel the 'need' to try another razor,especially the slant, so my options are as follows:

1 Merkur 37c or 39c ( haven't quite decided which, but both are sold out almost everywhere!)
2 EJ 89 - to try another make, but read that it will be similar to the 34
3 have another go with the Futur as I have more experience now
4 something more exotic, eg vintage, but I wouldn't know where to start
5 None of the above - why do I need more?

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

RE: RAD advice plesae!

The EJ razor head is a little milder than your Merkur so will offer a contrast. You can pick up good value vintage DE razors on the for sale threads.

You don't need another razor but if you want to try something different you will no doubt get plenty of suggestions.

At the end of the day, it'll come down to what floats your boat. If you go with the suggestions of a few enthusiasts over a few hundred miles of cables and waves you'll end up spending a LOT of money.

Then again, if this is a 'hobby' then you can fill yer boots my oad.

If you're already considering a slant, and if you liked the 34, then yes I'd get the 37. It's a good step up and everyone should have a slant at some point.

I see you're under the impression that the Edwin Jagger heads were similar to a 34, but (like Fido) I'd say they're actually quite a bit milder and you'll need an extra pass. So I'd guess that at least removes one option for you. I feel it would be a step back.

I think you've got one of the best razors going so personally I'd choose between a slant and none of the above.

You owe it to yourself to give a slant a try & purely personal view is that the shorter handled one will be more suited to you than the "Sledgehammer" if you like the general weight and feel of your 34. It's also, my view, less shaving angle sensitive as the longer handle increases the angle of the shaving head to face the further down the handle you grip. And if you're not going to use the length of the handle there's little advantage to getting the longer handle.
Failing that I'd be tempted to suggest that you may want to expand your shaving world a shade further & consider a single edge. They needn't cost much, are generally available and for some of us they came as a delightful revelation.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Thank you all for your replies.

The advice has crystallised my own thoughts and you may be interested to know that I ordered the 37c yesterday.

Can't wait and thanks once again!

Nothing stops you from using two razors for the same shave. Does I golfer use the same club for the entire game? If you find that one works well for the long game use that one there, if another works well for your short game , use that one there!
Any razor you will buy has it's strengths and weaknesses. Play to their Strengths!

I'd say give the Futur another go. To get under the nose, either move it out of the way and shave or alternatively a quick ATG movement will sort you out in no time.

I have 2 Futur's and love them. There's something about this razor which allows it to shave great no matter what blade is used.

I have got a great shave from the Futur and no problems under the nose but I don't like the blade replacement mechanism. Fine coming off but I covered my fingers with a towel when trying to push the top of the head on as I'm worried I'll slice a finger and thumb. And the chrome finish one is quite slippery! Great shaves and adjustability though

Back
Top Bottom