Professor Blighty's new Aftershaves

I've recently received a sample pack of Martin's new range and thought I'd review a different A/S lotion as I try one out each day.

Friday 2nd November:

Harlequin was the one I started with yesterday. I used a capful from the sample bottle which means I should get six or seven uses per bottle. The first thing I noticed was a very pleasant sting turning to warmth pretty quickly without any irritation to my skin. The skin friendliness is topnotch, in fact.The freshness of the Starfruit leapt out at me and was a great way to start the day, then the lilacs kicked in a bit later and remained with the berry scent for the rest of the course. I'm fond of florals and was very happy with the quality of the scent and how it developed on my skin. What really struck me was durability of the scent - seven hours on my naturally oily skin and after that there was still a mild skin-scent if I rubbed my face. For an aftershave I think this is phenomenal and now I'm not sure whether to buy the cologne versions of the scents since the lotion acts as a cologne to all intents and purposes. I wonder, Martin, whether you could let us know how much more powerful the colognes are?

Saturday 3rd November:

Hyperion Wow! The longevity and skin friendliness are the same as the previous lotion. The smell, though! It's a warm winter-scent that's a dead ringer for our Christmasses (Rum, Coconut, and Ginger are consumed in quantity over the holiday period). A good choice if you're looking for a rich, spicy scent this as it gets a bit colder.

Thank you! Martin very kindly threw in an extra sample, Cicero, with the usual set of seven because the first lot of samples went astray somewhere in the postal system. I haven't been reviewing the others because I've had a nasty cold and have lost my sense of smell and taste. Everything tastes of cardboard and hot water at the moment. Very irritating. When my nose comes back on line, I'll start the reviews again.

Saturday 10th November

Endymion

Right, the nose is back on-line so I'm wearing Martin's Endymion today.

I'm writing this mid-afternoon and the scent is still obvious to me - I just love the longevity of these lotions. As to the scent itself, it's got cinnamon (my favourite spice smell) and mulberries, giving it a cool-weather vibe just right for today in Ceredigion. It's warm and mature (so that's 50% of me catered for) and has a slight bubblegum edge to it, as others have noted, but not an overly synthetic, sugery sweet kind: imagine a bubblegum made by hand from all natural ingredients. That's the hint I get here.

The skin care this provides is top-quality and I have to say that I'm enjoying all these samples.

Thank you! Yes, I'm scratching my head as well wondering which to get. Some of the other scents that Martin offers look interesting, too.

Sunday:

Coviello: The Rose scent is lovely and strong in the opening and then mixes into a warm, spiciness which is again really good for cool weather. What struck me most was the delicious vanilla which emerged a few hours later and lingered all the way through to bedtime. Incredible longevity for an aftershave.

Monday:

Scaramouche:: I really like this one: lots of strong orangy citrus to begin with; it's a good way to begin the day. Now, in the afternoon, it's mostly sandalwood with the odd hint of orange that I'm getting - and it's a strong, but not overpowering sandalwood which I suspect will take me through to the evening. I keep wondering what the aftershave splash together with the cologne would be like. Too much? But then I like to smell the scents I use, so I don't know. It would be interesting if Martin could let us know how much more powerful the colognes are.

Hi Rob,

the aftershaves have a strength of around 4% and the colognes are around 8%10%

Very good reviews of the samples so far by the way!

Martin

Ps the soaps and balm have the same strength as the after shave.

Thanks, Martin. At least double the strength? Yes, please.

And today's aftershave lotion:

Cicero

This doesn't appear in Martin's list of new scents, so I assume that it's hot out of the vat as it were. So, who benefits from this new scent? We all do. As soon as I splashed it on, I got smacked around the head by a block of marzipan, so we have almonds in this? (I haven't seen a break-down of the ingredients and I'm no Basenotes semi-pro). At the time of writing, around mid-day, I can smell a warm vanilla and perhaps some florals in the background. The scent is warm but fresh and is another excellent addition to cooler weather usage. Very nice, indeed, and the skin care is, again, high quality.

Sorry Rob, Cicero is something I've just been playing around with. It's almond, with a daffodil top note and vanilla undercurrents as you rightly guessed (good nose mate).

It isn't in production, it's just a trial thing I included to see what you would think of it.

Martin

It's words only for these new fragrances but for me personally that sounds like the one I would like the most. Would you consider extending the trial to other participants? Not after a freebie; I would happily pay a couple of quid plus postage on top.

Martin, I really liked the Cicero. Hope you'll run with it. Have you got any more secret scents on the go?

Wednesday:

Today I used Lamia. It started with a strong, natural lemon hit which morphed into a very pleasant light flower (Sunflower according to the scent notes) which has lasted well into the afternoon and is now, around 4 pm, being rounded off by a tobacco scent that takes me back to my father's pipe tobacco that I vividly remember as a little boy before he gave up smoking. Very nice indeed. For me, Lamia will be most suitable as a warm-weather scent, so I'd better get some now in readiness for next year. That's the way to do it, right?

Thursday 15th November

Today I used Punchinello. I wasn't at all sure I'd like this fruit-based scent: pears don't smell of much, do they, and blueberries? Good on pancakes, but on my face? Shows what I know! This is an excellent warm-weather scent. The pears are delicate but always there and the blueberries are sweet but not sickly. Both fruits tangle around each other in a positive way and last ages. This is just what I, and possibly you, will enjoy on a warm Summer's day (we do get those in Wales) when you want to smell fresh for ages without overwhelming everyone else around you.

This was the last of the samples that Martin sent and I have to say that I've been struck by the consistantly high quality of his offerings both as scents and as skin-care products. What with the large range of other scents available from the good Professor, I'm going to have to think hard about which ones I'm going to buy. The Tobaco and Vanilla and some of the single scents look very interesting, as well. My wife won't let me buy them all: something about having "too much stuff already". Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom