Pre shave cream: useful?

I apologize if discussed elsewhere.
In my holiday in motherland Italy I could not resist buying a big jar of Proraso pre-shave cream (menthol-eucalyptus).
Unfortunately for me it's totally useless, I don't feel or see any difference under different circumstances.
I apply it for a few min while I prepare the lather and then I apply the lather on top.
What is it supposed to do? Soften the hair. give extra protection?
Maybe it's useful with no-so protective and lubricating soaps (like the classic Proraso green)?
Cheers
M

In my holiday in motherland Italy I could not resist buying a big jar of Proraso pre-shave cream (menthol-eucalyptus).
Unfortunately for me it's totally useless, I don't feel or see any difference under different circumstances.
I apply it for a few min while I prepare the lather and then I apply the lather on top.
Maybe it's useful with no-so protective and lubricating soaps (like the classic Proraso green)?
Cheers
M
That’s exactly what I found it useful for. As I don’t use Proraso Green soap now, it seldom gets used. Unless I want a severe menthol hit in conjunction with other freezing accoutrements: Snake Bite, Alcolado, Flöid Mentally Vigorous, for instance. Although I still use Proraso Green splash.

Actually, I often enjoy pre-shave cream after the shave ...

So, just shave as you would normally, but when you rinse off, particularly if you enjoy a cold water rinse as well ... at that point pop a dab of the Proraso onto your hands and rub it all over your face for a very refreshing finish. Pat dry and apply aftershave.

I have Prep (which is very similar to 3P) rather than Proraso, but it's the same sort of product.

Cheers
M
Iv asked the same question regarding preshave but not necessarily proraso.
I think the general consensus is you don’t need a preshave however certain individuals myself included just like using different products.
whether it helps the shave i guess it depends on certain products

Personally I find using it as a pre shave actually makes for a worse shave, mine is gathering dust but occasionally it gets used as a post shave but thats rare.

Shower then shave is enough for me. Although when I first used DE I tried pre shave balms and oils but found a hot shower had a better result. Plus no greasy oily sink to clean out.

I've got a jar of green Proraso pre and I came to the same conclusion. I only occasionally use it when I fancy a menthol blast but I don't think it gives a better shave. Might try it as post though, now I've read this.

I just wash with Pears transparent glycerine and hot towel, then face lather. I'm curious about the PAA cube as a pre. Some say Pears is as good, some say the cube is worth the expense. I might try one, but if it's not significantly slicker I'll stick to soap and water.

I only have two preshave items, one being proraso wood and spice. Personally I don't think it adds anything at all in terms of improvement to the shave itself. I only include it when I'm doing the full wood and spice set, and purely for the scent (and to get it used and out of my box).

The PAA cube, this is purely from my own usage others input may differ. I have found that if your prep (shower, warm towel, thorough washing etc etc) is good and have a soap that perhaps isn't the best performance wise then it has helped to bump it up in terms of glide. If your soap is good then I haven't found that it elevates it any further though I have still used it with good soaps almost out of habit now. That is just my own personal experience with it though.

Last edited:
Cheers
M
I agree. It is strange but no positive effect and could even make the shave worse. I tend to use an oil for preshave. Maybe use the Proraso as a post shave?

I only have two preshave items, one being proraso wood and spice. Personally I don't think it adds anything at all in terms of improvement to the shave itself. I only include it when I'm doing the full wood and spice set, and purely for the scent (and to get it used and out of my box).

The PAA cube, this is purely from my own usage others input may differ. I have found that if your prep (shower, warm towel, thorough washing etc etc) is good and have a soap that perhaps isn't the best performance wise then it has helped to bump it up in terms of glide. If your soap is good then I haven't found that it elevates it any further though I have still used it with good soaps almost out of habit now. That is just my own personal experience with it though.
+1

There used to be a highly qualified industrial chemist (I think) and soap maker called Henk who used to be active here. He always stipuated that it was water absoption that physically softenend/weakened the hair so as long as you degrease the beard (say pre shower or face wash) that allows the hair to do that then that's all you really need to do prep wise. Not the same as say making the beard "feel" soft with product like say hair conditioner or dedicated pre-shave cream or oil even.

Back
Top Bottom