Prat of the year?

Some might say that disqualification was harsh but I think it was justified. Not only was it prattish, it is disrespectful to other competitors. A circus is the place for antics like that.

Are you being serious? He took his vest off - big deal! The women run with a smaller area of clothing than his shorts and with bare miidriffs. Has this got something to do with church attitudes? Disqualified? Prat? The man won the race.

If he'd been wearing a bra under his vest they wouldn't be able to complain.

Bechet45 said:
Are you being serious? He took his vest off - big deal! The women run with a smaller area of clothing than his shorts and with bare miidriffs. Has this got something to do with church attitudes? Disqualified? Prat? The man won the race.

If he'd been wearing a bra under his vest they wouldn't be able to complain.

Nothing to do with anything you mention - everything to do with displaying his number whenhe crosses the finishing line - in accordance with the rules.

Got it! Face recognition not good enough. He'd been in the lead for an age with his number displayed. But you are right! Where would we be if we didn't stick strictly to the Rules? Chaos would surely ensue, the end of order as we know it. Sheesh! Fun and celebration disallowed until after the line, eh. Keep off the grass!

Taking off your vest, taking performance enhancing drugs, taking a short-cut all get the same penalty, eh? Yeah! I can see that.

Bechet45 said:
Got it! Face recognition not good enough. He'd been in the lead for an age with his number displayed. But you are right! Where would we be if we didn't stick strictly to the Rules? Chaos would surely ensue, the end of order as we know it. Sheesh! Fun and celebration disallowed until after the line, eh. Keep off the grass!

Taking off your vest, taking performance enhancing drugs, taking a short-cut all get the same penalty, eh? Yeah! I can see that.

You free-spirited old liberal you. Not quite the same penalty - two incur disqualification, the other a ban of variable length.

The day I stop having problems with the unthinking or petty enforcement of rules will probably be the day I die. Common sense tells us that the guy won. His disqualification flies in the face of common sense - and no doubt got the complainer onto the podium.

Rules are rules.

And the fastest man won the race.

If sartorial elegance is more important than coming first in competitive sport then so be it. Rules should be there to stop people gaining an unfair advantage, I can't really see that he obtained one by doing this really.

Not my rules though

Fido started this thread by questioning whether he was Prat of the year - I've kind of de-railed it by raising the disqualification - so why not get back on track by answering Peter and indicating whether you agree, or not, on the level of prattishness or otherwise?

Lets leave the disqualification out of it.

Bechet45 said:
The day I stop having problems with the unthinking or petty enforcement of rules will probably be the day I die. Common sense tells us that the guy won. His disqualification flies in the face of common sense - and no doubt got the complainer onto the podium.
No ,the Spanish complained. His Compatriot got the Gold Medal.
He broke the rules, showing disrespect to other Competitors,
and a bad example to young athletes, who have to abide by the same rules.

The Judges did not really have a choice in the matter. I think you
may find that those within the Sport, agree with the decision .
He knew the rules,and behaved like a Prat .

An athlete who removes his vest before crossing the finishing line is liable to be disqualified. As proven in this case.

A footballer who removes his clothing is given a yellow card.

Competitors should know the rules and penalties for breaking them. I quite understand why a footballer might accept a yellow card. But to lose a Gold Medal - to risk that was just plain stupid. So he was a prat. But I suspect if we looked hard enough there's someone who has done something even more ridiculous.

He chose to enter the race, nobody forced him, and the rules are stated. If he chooses not abide by their rules he doesn't win their race, simple as that.

So yes he's a prat!

Another conclusion might be that he doesn't give a shit about the medal - he knows he's worth it. Another that he did it to give someone the finger. I think he was just enjoying himself, he won so easily - meaning, by a long way.

Clearly he's not a prat and you not knowing or understanding his reasons doesn't make him one. He was in a groove, man, as you detractors clearly are not!

Has anyone seen an interview in which he explains his action?

Back
Top Bottom